pipsqueak

Default A Transatlantic Observation

I'm currently looking for my Suttons in America - every time one goes missing in England, he seems to show up across the Atlantic. This morning I'm looking through the US census of 1900, searching by date and place of birth. I was surprised to see that in 1900 there were over 10,000 people who were born in England in 1839.

I thought this worth mentioning, because it doesn't seem to be beyond the bounds of possibility for a missing ancestor to show up in foreign parts. If you've lost someone - especially a young man, it might be worth a search abroad. (In my family, the English are more likely to show up there than in Scotland or Wales.)

spison

Default Not surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by pipsqueak View Post
    in 1900 there were over 10,000 people who were born in England in 1839. I thought this worth mentioning, because it doesn't seem to be beyond the bounds of possibility for a missing ancestor to show up in foreign parts. If you've lost someone - especially a young man, it might be worth a search abroad.
    Pipsqueek, Those statistics aren't surprising. My G-G-G-Grandfather, we believe, intended to go to America but ended up in Australia. America was only a short trip and we'd like to think he intended to return to his wife and two children who ended up dying in a poor house. He never did! Of all my husband's Cambridge family, one son went to America while 2 others came to Australia.

Emigration in the 1800s was rampart. The depression? The hope of a better life?

Jane

scousecan

Were the numbers of emigrants to Canada low?

pipsqueak

I don't know - I had one that went to Canada and can't find him after 1910.