Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    parkview

Default What parish does/did Churchill belong to?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me? I'd like to start trying to trace the Irish side of my family tree beyond my great grandfather.

He (and his siblings) were baptised at Churchill, Kerry. Would anybody be able to tell me what parish that fell in (he was christened in 1870)?

I'm guessing at Spa, but don't know for sure, so to avoid fruitless searches, I thought I'd try to get more certainty.

Thanks to anyone who is able to help.

Jan1954

Hello parkview,

Spa, also known as Fenit, is the correct parish for Churchill.

If you visit dioceseofkerry.ie, then click on Parishes (in the sidebar) and then click on Spa, Churchill is shown.

Mutley

Could it be Fenit? If you google Churchill, that is what comes up on the address of properties for sale or rent.

Otherwise Rootsweb has a list of civil parishes and links to Townlands and Maps that might help.

Jan1954

Hello again parkview,

You may also be interested in this to help you to trace your Kerry ancestors.

parkview

Many Thanks for your help.

Spa/Fenit it is.

I shall order the book - I think I will need all the help I can get!

Brendan Joseph

If you give us his name, we can find his civil birth registration

Brendan

parkview

Thank you - he was called Jeremiah Reidy and the family claim is that he was born 14/12/1870, baptised 24/12/1870.
    So I guess he could have been registered in either 1870 or 1871.

Many Thanks - Park View

Brendan Joseph

There are two possibilities:

https://pilot.familysearch.org/record...y%2C%20Ireland

For some reason he does not appear in IGI records

Brendan

parkview

Thank you so much - he wouldn't be easy to find, would he?! I did try IGI - or thought I did.

Now, dare I ask, as a newcomer to the Irish side of research, if you can point me in the right direction as to how to order certificates with this info?

Have I missed a sticky post on this subject? If so, could someone kindly just send me in the right direction and out of your hair.

I guess I wlll go for both certs and hope one offers some clues that connect.

Thanks for your help - I may well be back!

Loves to help with queries

You might also be interested in looking at the 1911 census which is available for free at www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/ to see if any family still in the area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast