Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Kerry genealogy starting out

A good source of info on starting Kerry family history is at Waterlilys site Kerry Genealogy at
    www.igp-web.com/kerry/
    also plenty useful links.

parkview

Thank you.

I have him on the 1911 census (once I got past him being mistranscribed as Keidy!).

I will also check out the site - have used it ages ago but looks like there's a fair bit of new stuff on there.

I'd like to try for his birth cert but the GRO form seems to need a mother's maiden name and the information provided on the Family Search site's records doesn't give that, so I'm not sure how I can get a certificate.

Mutley

These links may help.

Irish Times
    Irish Times Counties Index
    Irish Roots - Genealogy Centres
    Family Search - Census
    Proni - Public Records of Northern Ireland
    Groni - General Register Office for Northern Ireland
    Groireland - The General Register Office
    The National Archives of Ireland (Southern Ireland)
    The National Library of Ireland Getting Started Leaflet

Groireland. Print the Application form and send or fax it with your credit card details. I found the service was very good.

parkview

Thank you for those Mutley - that'll keep me going for a while!

I'm sorry if I'm being thick - but have you ordered a birth cert without a mother's maiden name?

The results on the Family Search index to Irish civil registrations don't give that fact but GRO seem to need it as it's a mandatory field on their form.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation - me being inexperienced, most likely!

Mutley

Hello Parkview,
    I must admit that I had the mother's maiden name. I have not tried ordering without. I know that they will search for you, two years either side of a date but I am not sure if you do not have the names.

What I did was to go to the "Irish Family History Foundation" site. You have to google for it because it is commercial.

Once you find it, you register with them and can then search for free.
    I tried your man and only one hit came up.
    Church Baptism. Reidy Jeremiah. 1871. Co. Limerick

Now comes the really hard part. If you think he is your Jeremiah, you need one of those little plastic cards, the one with loads of numbers, it normally has visa or similar written in the corner. You then agree to part with 5€ to view and download the printed details.

The good news is that it will tell you, immediately,
    Child's Full Name
    Baptism Date
    Town and County
    Denomination
    Father's Name
    Mother's First Name and Maiden Name
    Sponsor's Names
    Name of Priest

Then you can order the certificate from Groireland.

Mutley

I have just looked at the Family Search Link given above and it does seem that there were two children with the same name and one died.

The IFHF child was baptised in Limerick, though that is next door to Kerry and there was not a Reidy child in Kerry (it says Kerry records are complete). Maybe you need to do a bit more searching in there with variations of the name.

I wonder if before parting with lots of money it would be best to order the Kerry parish record from your nearest Family History (Mormon) branch.

It really depends how deep are your pockets and how impatient you are.

parkview

Thanks again for your help Mutley.

I believe the IFHF database does not hold Kerry records, unfortunately. (It's red on the map showing coverage).

I think ordering the film for the Kerry records is the way forward, as it looks more likely to be him.

While I don't mind flexing the plastic, I'd prefer to have a fighting chance of getting the right certificate when I do.

Many Thanks again for your help.

Tierneylass

Baptism of JEREMIA REIDY of KNOCKANISH
    on 1 January 1871
    Parish of SPA R.C.
    Diocese of KERRY
    Name JEREMIA REIDY
    Date of Birth 24 December 1870
    Address KNOCKANISH
    Father JEREMIA REIDY
    Mother MARY GRIFFIN
    Further details in the record

Sponsor 1 NR
    Sponsor 2 NR
    About the record

Book Number Page Entry Number
    N/R N/R N/R
    Hiya

I found this on the IrishGenealogy website

hope its the right one for you

Tierneylass

Knockanish is a Townland near Spa and Fenit. Do you know any more details about where they lived etc...house etc I could check out local history sources in Tralee for you if you like

parkview

Thank you tierneylass - that is him! That site you used is great! I've also managed to confirm his siblings' baptisms too.

The family lived on a farm in Knockanish - on the 1911 census they are described as living in Knockanush (sic) East - but there are about 10 or so other properties there so I don't know which would be theirs - other than they had clearly lived there for around 40 years or more by then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast