Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Loves to help with queries
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    wales
    Posts
    152

    Default Candover store Photograph.

    I have a photograph of my grandmother (Mary Lavinia Butland , nee Boyne)sitting outside the 'Candover' store in rural South Africa with a group of fellow employees sometime in the late 1920's. I have no further information, can anyone help locate this place ?? If it helps my grandmother eventually settled in Durban.
    PS I have found Lavinias 'deceased estate file ' on the S. A. national archives web site .Can anyone advise me what this is likely to contain ? I know she married a Raymond Victor Butland, but have no idea where or when ,is that information likely to be found there??
    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    1,676

    Default

    https://www.routes.co.za/kn/candover/index.html

    Candover, a settlement in Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa. Routes: N2, R69.
    Michael

    Suffolk Pipe one tree

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Sue Mackay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rhoose Point, South Wales
    Posts
    6,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colwyn View Post
    PS I have found Lavinias 'deceased estate file ' on the S. A. national archives web site .Can anyone advise me what this is likely to contain ? I know she married a Raymond Victor Butland, but have no idea where or when ,is that information likely to be found there??
    Many thanks
    Raymond Victor Butland's estate file is also on NAAIRS. The file is likely to contain the death notice, which can be very useful. It may even give the date of the marriage. It should list place of birth and names of parents, if known, details of spouse and any previous spouses, and a list of children, including married names of female children if known.

    You are fortunate in that both documents are at NAB (Natal Archives in Pietermaritzburg). You can get a digital copy sent to you easily and cheaply via eggsa.org (Genealogical Society of South Africa)
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

  4. #4
    Loves to help with queries
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    wales
    Posts
    152

    Default Candover Trading Store

    Hi Michael
    Thanks for the information ,I've checked it out looks like there's not very much there ??? seems like a long way to travel for a young girl from the back streets of Manchester .
    Does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge of the place... ?

    Hi Sue thanks for your response, I have now contacted 'eggsa' so hopefully I will get some useful info from them.
    I know Lavinia went out to South Africa in Oct. 1922, 6 months after my grandfather ( Thomas Flaherty a musician). He came back to the UK some time before 1926. Are there any ships records for incoming passengers to the UK ??

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Sue Mackay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rhoose Point, South Wales
    Posts
    6,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colwyn View Post
    I know Lavinia went out to South Africa in Oct. 1922, 6 months after my grandfather ( Thomas Flaherty a musician). He came back to the UK some time before 1926. Are there any ships records for incoming passengers to the UK ??
    Ancestry have Incoming Passenger lists to the UK 1878-1960 but I can't immediately see a good match. What was his date of birth?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

  6. #6
    Loves to help with queries
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    wales
    Posts
    152

    Default Incoming passenger records

    Hi Sue ....
    Thomas Flaherty was born 26/09/1888 in Manchester.
    He travelled to South Africa from Southampton on the 21/04/1922 on-board the Union Castle steamship, Windsor Castle . He was travelling with a number of other musicians to Natal. He might possibly have travelled back with the same group so i have included a few of their names ..........I hope it helps... Mr C.Kreshover born c1889, Mr J.H.Moulding born c1882 , Mr A.Bindy born c1899 and Mr. Mrs Garvin born c1889 and c1886.
    Sorry it all got a little long winded...... ,
    Thanks once again Sue.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Sue Mackay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rhoose Point, South Wales
    Posts
    6,444

    Default

    Sorry, the only Thomas Flaherty of the right age I can find, who was a "conductor" (whether musical conductor or not I don't know) arrived from New York on 10 May 1922, so can't be the same one who sailed to Natal a month earlier!

    I have found John MOULDING, musician aged 40, travelling back from Durban on the Demosthenes in 1923. He had a wife and baby with him and his country of permamnent residence was given as South Africa.

    Can't see the others you mentioned, but some passenger lists were better than others!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

  8. #8
    Loves to help with queries
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    wales
    Posts
    152

    Default Candover

    Hi Sue
    Thanks for trying.....i'll just have to keep looking and see what I can find out.

  9. #9
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Posts
    1

    Default Candover Store/Durban

    Quote Originally Posted by colwyn View Post
    I have a photograph of my grandmother (Mary Lavinia Butland , nee Boyne)sitting outside the 'Candover' store in rural South Africa with a group of fellow employees sometime in the late 1920's. I have no further information, can anyone help locate this place ?? If it helps my grandmother eventually settled in Durban.
    PS I have found Lavinias 'deceased estate file ' on the S. A. national archives web site .Can anyone advise me what this is likely to contain ? I know she married a Raymond Victor Butland, but have no idea where or when ,is that information likely to be found there??
    Many thanks
    I realise that it is some time since the original post, but I hope that the post is still live.
    My late father, James Slater, is the son of James Slater and Ada Boyne, Mary Lavinia's sister. My father recalled visiting his auntie "Meena" in Durban, in 1941, whilst in the Royal Navy. He said that she was in charge of the YMCA in Durban. If you require or have, any further family history, please contact me.

  10. #10
    Loves to help with queries
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    wales
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Hi Yellowduster.
    Thanks for your response to my ancient thread . I am still researching my/our family history and recently found your father and grandparents living in Beeston St in the 1939 National Register. i visited your parents on several occasions with my mum and remember that they had 3 sons ?
    I have lots of information on the 'Boyne' family and have traced them back to Dublin and would be happy to share my research with you.
    I was aware of your fathers visit to Durban and I think there was a photograph of your dad and my grandma.
    Perhaps we can exchange e mail addresses ?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Select a file: