Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by eileench View Post
    The Mr Downes was William Downes. He was Marcus seniors half brother and worked on the railway in Norfolk.
    I have no connection with this family and I'm sure you have all done great research, but I admit to being confused. It looks to me from the census entries below as if William Downes was Marcus Thompson's uncle rather than his half brother, unless there was another William Downes.

1851 census: HO107; Piece: 1782; Folio: 729; Page: 5 (original TNA Crown copyright)

Nehemiah DOWNES 60 aglab b Boxted Essex
    Sarah wife 55 b Langham Essex
    Lucy 19 b Boxted
    Nehemiah 16 b Boxted
    Eliza 13 b Boxted
    William 6 b Boxted

1861 RG9; Piece: 1105; Folio: 95; Page: 3 (original TNA Crown copyright)
    Nehemiah DOWNES 70 (Ancestry indexed DOWNE)
    Sarah 65
    Eliza 24
    Nehemiah 16 (should this be William?)
    William TOMPSON [sic] 32 b Elmstead Essex
    Lucy TOMSON 27 b Boxted
    William 7 b Boxted
    Charles 3 b Boxted
    Harriet 1 b Boxted
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

larmet1969

youve all gone back further than me right might as well add my input probably wrong but ive got marcus (ive got a middle name of george dont know if true ) thompson senior being the son of william thompson and lucy downes marrige dec 1854 then lucy downes mother and father being nehemiah downes and sarah rule marrige 20 oct 1814

eileench

The William Downes I think is my great grandfather's half brother is the William aged 7 and son of William and Lucy in 1861. He was born the last quarter of 1953, a year before their marriage in Dec 1854. He kept the name Downes as an adult.

eileench

Yes I think that is all correct except I'm not sure about the middle name George

eileench

I am the daughter of Vera Thompson, who was Marcus Thompson junior's only surviving child.

larmet1969

i would just like to thank eileench and redrobin for all there help the lovely photos and all the help they have given me in my family history quest sorry ive not replyed earlier but family illness has caused me to re orginise my life style for a while but family in need has to come first thanks also to sue for some snippets of info as i find more info i will post it thanks once again

redrobin

Sorry to hear about your family illness Mark, hope all will be well soon. Have found a few more photos during a sorting out session. Will send them as soon as possible. Redrobin.

redrobin

Have found a photo with Leslie Francis Thompson written on the back - have you found this name in the family anywhere?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123