Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Hambleton records

It seems likely that some ancestors of mine lived in in the village of Hambleton for several generations in the C18th long before much of it was flooded to become what is now Rutland Water. Some of their records are in the IGI and others have been found by a cousin searching parish records at Leicestershire & Rutland. Two of the patriarchs were said to be parish clerks although I don't know whether that means that they were clerks of what we now know as parish councils i.e. local government, or whether they were in fact parochial parish clerks i.e. part of the church organisation.

Does anyone know whether such distinctions were relevant in that time and if so where the records of the relevant organisation might be kept? I'm guessing that the record office is the most likely place but anything by way of learning would be appreciated.

cheers
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Reputation beyond repute

No distinction, Tony.

This link seems quite a decent primer -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/p...ords-video.htm

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks Peter. The link was very informative although my pedantic mind got a bit distracted by the enormous number of sentences the speaker started with "Now...". If I had been at the lecture I would have found it difficult not to squirm!

cheers
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke