Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    dawnchrissie

Hi Adele
    No I don't mind the questions at all, anything might help.
    We don't know exactly when George went to the US but he married in New York in 1941 and again in 1942 when he described himself as an interpreter for the British Counsel, so it was before then. We believe he went to the US with his sister but we do not know her name, although it may have been Beatrice. His mother joined them in the US before George was married. His mother's name on George's marriage certificate is Ball, not Renwick. She apparently had to change her name to Rabies later on to remain in the States - this was her son-in-law's name, so presumably she lived with her daughter and son-in-law but I have not found any records for them so I do not know if this is correct. George disappeared not long after his children were born and was not heard of again. We know he was a gambler.
    We do not know what happened to George's father, Frank Renwick. All the Frank Renwicks I have found in England have been married to other people. All we know is that he did not go with them to the US. Unfortunately I cannot find any record on ship passenger lists.
    Best wishes
    Dawn

Brick wall demolition expert!

No one in this family is popping up on census, immigration or vital statistics records, so I need to pick your brain with a few more questions:

On what document does the 1909 birth date for George Renwick appear?

Can you tell me a bit more about the name Rabies? What is the son-in-law's name?

Regarding Mona Adelaide Ball: do you have any other document on which her name appears as such? Do you know where she was born & where she died? Can you tell me a bit more about the name change from Ball to Rabies?

Adele

dawnchrissie

Hi there

The name of Mona Adelaide Ball only appears on George Renwick's marriage certificate to Marion Carlson dated 11 Sep 1941 in New York.

George's birth date of 18 Feb 1909 also appears on this document.

On his son's birth certificate dated 11/1/42 George gives his age as 33. His son's name was Robert Eugene, born in Bayonne, New Jersey.

The name 'Beatrice Rabies' was written on a piece of paper by George's wife, who unfortunately is no longer with us and whom George left soon after the birth of the children. We have assumed it may be Mona's daughter's married name. We know nothing more about Mona's change of name, except it was to enable her to stay in the USA. Thinking about it now, it may be that Mona was either never married to Frank Renwick and Ball was her maiden name, or she married again to a Mr Ball, or perhaps the name of Rabies is incorrect and Ball was her son-in-law's name.

We think George may have lived in Indiana at one time and that his sister, husband and mother may have moved to Massachusetts (I don't know how to spell that!).

There are few records and most of the information has been passed on by word of mouth.
    Thanks for your interest
    Best wishes
    Dawn
    I am beginning to think that the surname Renwick was an assumed name.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by dawnchrissie View Post
    Hi Adele
    No I don't mind the questions at all, anything might help.
    We don't know exactly when George went to the US but he married in New York in 1941 and again in 1942 when he described himself as an interpreter for the British Counsel, so it was before then. We believe he went to the US with his sister but we do not know her name, although it may have been Beatrice. His mother joined them in the US before George was married. His mother's name on George's marriage certificate is Ball, not Renwick. She apparently had to change her name to Rabies later on to remain in the States - this was her son-in-law's name, so presumably she lived with her daughter and son-in-law but I have not found any records for them so I do not know if this is correct. George disappeared not long after his children were born and was not heard of again. We know he was a gambler.
    We do not know what happened to George's father, Frank Renwick. All the Frank Renwicks I have found in England have been married to other people. All we know is that he did not go with them to the US. Unfortunately I cannot find any record on ship passenger lists.
    Best wishes
    Dawn
    Hello I am close friends with George’s daughter Mona. She’s been looking for you guys most of her life please reach out to me here or via the Private Message system.
    Thanks Juan ( From Florida USA)
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 03-04-2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Phone number removed as per our TOC.

Dawn hasn't been here since Sept 2009. If her email address is still the one that she registered with, she should get a message saying that someone has replied to this thread. A more reliable mode of communication is via our Private Message (PM) system which nobody else can read.
    On the blue bar at the top of the screen, select Notifications, then Private messages. Select Send New Message, and then feed the address box with her user name. Give your message an attractive title, and put the message in the big box and send. She will (if the registration email is valid) will get an email saying that she has a PM.

This message is an appropriate place to include your phone number - our TOC does not permit them to be on the public forum. Remember that our members can be anywhere in the world, so include national and area codes.

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum! Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12