Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    gszparman

Default peter mclaren innkeeper?fife

Im new to this forum but interested if anyone could help me with my family trail..... Im lookin for my gg grandparents Peter and Christina Mclaren. Through Scotlands people I have gathered info that they both origionated from Perthshire and at some time moved to Newburagh Fife to keep a hotel/inn. The trail after the 1881 census runs dry. Peters father was David Mclaren, a stone mason form Perth and Christinas father (also a Mclaren!) is John and he is a farmer. The family ( the ones I know that is) ened up in Dysart but I dont know when.

Joe Duffy

Hello!

This might be a false alarm, but in the 1891 census I find a Peter McLaren (63) living with his wife "Christian" McLaren (67) in Cromdale, Moray. Christian might simply be a mistyping of Christina. I'm only looking at the transcription on another site, not a scan of the actual form. Both were born in Perthshire - Comrie and Little Dunkeld respectively. They have a son living with them, John (27). Peter is listed as a retired gamekeeper. As I said, might be a totally different couple but thought it worth bringing to your attention just in case.

Regards,
    Joe

Joe Duffy

Sorry, me again!

Just checked the 1901 census and it actually is Christina. Peter and Christina McLaren are living with a family called Taylor in Abernethy which is near Newburgh is it not? Definitely worth checking out the documents at Scotland's People.
    Last edited by Joe Duffy; 16-08-2009 at 7:20 PM. Reason: typo

gszparman

Default mclaren trail..

hi Joe thanks for your help, il have another look and see if I can make any more sence of the info iv got for them. Thanks.

JAP1

Hi gszparman (also Joe Duffy),

Don't worry about Christina vs Christian.
    They were virtually interchangeable in Scotland (Christian usually the earlier spelling which became modernized as Christina).
    Unfortunately, the IGI does not combine these names ...

gszparman, Just to help us search, could you please tell us what you know of the dates of birth of Peter & Christina, of when and where Peter & Christina married, and the names and years of birth of their known children.

Best of luck,

JAP

JAP1

Perhaps the following in 1891?

Forfar, Angus
    MCLAREN
    Peter, Head, 49, Innkeeper & Farmer, b Logierait Perthshire
    Christina K, Wife, 39, b Moulin Perthshire
    Christina K, Daur, 14, b Logierait Perthshire
    David, Son, 13, b Moulin Perthshire
    John, Son, 11, b Newburgh Fife
    James D W, Son 9, b Newburgh Fife
    Peter, Son, 5, b Coupar Angus, Perthshire
    Alexr S R, Son, 3, b Coupar Angus Perthshire

JAP

JAP1

Perhaps of interest in the light of the visitor in 1881 (assuming I found the right people).

Christian MCLAREN, b 15 Jan bap 30 Jan 1846, Moulin, parents John MCLAREN & Christian ROBERTSON.

JAP

JAP1

And perhaps son James in 1901?

Innerleithen Peebles
    MCLAREN
    Alexander, Head, 62, living on own means, b Logierait Perthshire
    Jessie, Wife, 53, b Calbender (sic) Perthshire
    James, Nephew, 19, Grocer Journeyman, b Newburgh Fife

JAP

JAP1

And perhaps son Peter in 1901 is Peter MCLAREN, 15, a Scholar, b Coupar Angus who is with Aunt Jessie MCLAREN, a Boarding House Keeper, in Edinburgh ...

Over to you!

Best of luck,

JAP

gszparman

Default wow!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAP1 View Post
    Perhaps the following in 1891?

Forfar, Angus
    MCLAREN
    Peter, Head, 49, Innkeeper & Farmer, b Logierait Perthshire
    Christina K, Wife, 39, b Moulin Perthshire
    Christina K, Daur, 14, b Logierait Perthshire
    David, Son, 13, b Moulin Perthshire
    John, Son, 11, b Newburgh Fife
    James D W, Son 9, b Newburgh Fife
    Peter, Son, 5, b Coupar Angus, Perthshire
    Alexr S R, Son, 3, b Coupar Angus Perthshire

JAP
    Thank you so much that makes total sense, the son Peter married a Kirkcaldy girl named Isabella Cairns (Charlotte St) and they had two children Jenny and Alexander ( my grandfather). Thank you thats amazing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast