Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    gszparman

Default odd!

The above information had let me to try and find out what happened to Peter snr and Christina (wife). I found young Peter on the above census but no parents or two of the eldest siblings? Why would that be? Im struggling to find the parents and what happened to them or when they died. The family seemed to travel around Scotland so the search is rather frustrating. I have the son Peters marrige cert and death cert but as yet cannot locate his birth cert. ! Any help would be fantastic.

JAP1

Re son Peter's birth certificate.

There are quite a few births for a Peter MCLAREN on ScotlandsPeople for the years 1885-1887 inclusive.

These include one in 1885 in Coupar Angus. Have you viewed this?

Re the fate of Peter snr & Christina

As most (all?) of their children seem to have been with relatives in 1901, it seems possible that the parents might not have survived.
    Have you searched ScotlandsPeople and (in case they went to England) FreeBMD for deaths?

JAP

gszparman

Default marrige cert?

Im having bit difficulty find my ggg granparent marriage cert. David Mclaren and Catherine Reid from Logieraid Perthshire. I believe they had ten children and may have got wed around late 1830s-40s One of thier sons was born 1843. Iv found thm on 1841 census with 2 children. He is listed as a mason.

gszparman

Quote Originally Posted by JAP1 View Post
    Re son Peter's birth certificate.

There are quite a few births for a Peter MCLAREN on ScotlandsPeople for the years 1885-1887 inclusive.

These include one in 1885 in Coupar Angus. Have you viewed this?

Re the fate of Peter snr & Christina

As most (all?) of their children seem to have been with relatives in 1901, it seems possible that the parents might not have survived.
    Have you searched ScotlandsPeople and (in case they went to England) FreeBMD for deaths?

JAP
    Iv information that christina died and then 2 months later Peter died both of T B. This happened in 1892. I found a census return for 1891 in which the parents and the two eldest children are missing. At 11 yrs old John appears to be head of the family, couldnt really understand it. There isnt a specific address either, odd....

JAP1

Quote Originally Posted by gszparman View Post
    Im having bit difficulty find my ggg granparent marriage cert. David Mclaren and Catherine Reid from Logieraid Perthshire. I believe they had ten children and may have got wed around late 1830s-40s One of thier sons was born 1843. Iv found thm on 1841 census with 2 children. He is listed as a mason.
    You will not find a marriage certificate for these people as Statutory Registration did not start in Scotland until 1855.

The best you could hope for is an entry in a church register.

However, for various reasons, there may well not be such an entry to be found.

Children of this couple can be found in the IGI (International Genealogical Index) on FamilySearch.
    Go to:
    https://www.familysearch.org/eng/sear...lear_form=true

Enter David McLaren in the 'father' boxes
    Enter Catherine Reid in the 'mother' boxes
    Select 'British Isles' as the region
    Click on 'Search'

You will get a list of ten children of the couple born/christened at Logierait, Perthshire between 1839 and 1859.

JAP

gszparman

Default cheers

cheers will do that next.

JAP1

Iv information that christina died and then 2 months later Peter died both of T B. This happened in 1892. I found a census return for 1891 in which the parents and the two eldest children are missing. At 11 yrs old John appears to be head of the family, couldnt really understand it. There isnt a specific address either, odd....

I posted a transcription of the 1891 census for the family at reply #6 above.

The family is in Forfar in the county of Angus; the specific address is Southbank.

The 1891 census return includes both parents and 6 children ranging in age from 14 down to 3 (including an 11 year old John).

JAP
    PS: Did you download the census from ScotlandsPeople??
    All I can think of is that perhaps the family extends over more than one page and you have downloaded only the second page??

gszparman

Quote Originally Posted by JAP1 View Post
    You will not find a marriage certificate for these people as Statutory Registration did not start in Scotland until 1855.

The best you could hope for is an entry in a church register.

However, for various reasons, there may well not be such an entry to be found.

Children of this couple can be found in the IGI (International Genealogical Index) on FamilySearch.
    Go to:
    https://www.familysearch.org/eng/sear...lear_form=true

Enter David McLaren in the 'father' boxes
    Enter Catherine Reid in the 'mother' boxes Select 'British Isles' as the region
    Click on 'Search'

You will get a list of ten children of the couple born/christened at Logierait, Perthshire between 1839 and 1859.

JAP
    Having looked on this site and found the Mclarens I can now only asume that "Patrick" is "Peter" although this puts him born three years prev than I had thought. Cant think why else Peter would not been on the list of David and Catherines children?!

JAP1

Having looked on this site and found the Mclarens I can now only asume that "Patrick" is "Peter" although this puts him born three years prev than I had thought. Cant think why else Peter would not been on the list of David and Catherines children?!

Peter and Patrick (like Christina and Christian) were virtually interchangeable in Scotland back in those times.

I don't understand your comment about Peter being born "three years prev" to the record for Patrick.

On the 1891 census, Peter was recorded as b ca 1842 - spot on for David & Catherine's son Patrick.

JAP

gszparman

Default age..

your correct , i have that much paper work with names and dates of birth and so many Peters and Mclarens!! It does match perfect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast