Thread: Framesmith

samhuzz

Default Framesmith

Hello

What is a framesmith? One of my ancestors was one in 1871.

Thanks
    Sam

Jan1954

A framesmith or framework knitter made stockings on a special machine designed for that purpose. The framesmith was one of the key workers in the hosiery industry - he could set up the machinery as required, and knew how to repair it when necessary.

samhuzz

Thanks very much Jan, he was a frame smith in 1871 and then a cow keeper in 1881! Bit of a change in career, isn't it.

Jan1954

Oo-er! Did he change address from the town to the country as well?

samhuzz

Yes, well kind of. He was originally from Shepshed, Leics, then moved to Whitwick, then Leicester, then Newbold. It's surprising how often ancestors moved around, when you start out researching you kind of think they stayed in the same place for years on end, but only one line of my family really did!

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by samhuzz View Post
    Bit of a change in career, isn't it?
    Sad necessity, I should imagine.

In the late 19th century, home based framework knitting was in terminal decline as production moved to factories.

You've heard of the Luddites? Well, they get a bad press these days and the term is sorely misused but it's worth reading up on what it was really about. Framework knitters were at the forefront of Luddism desperately struggling to maintain their status as independent artisans against the hated factory system. History was not on their side.

Jan1954

Aha! I have had a bit of a google and found that a framesmith was also the name given to someone who was a maker of shoulder frames or yokes for carrying pails.

This would fit better with your chap being a cow keeper.

samhuzz

In the 1851 census he is a frame smith and his wife a frame work knitter, so I wonder if he was the first type that you told me about, Jan. He is surrounded by frame work knitters on his street. What does Worsted mean, this was put in after his wife's job?

Guess I need to read up on these Frame Work Knitters, like you suggested Peter, there seemed to be an awful lot of them in the time period I am looking at in Leicestershire, and especially my tree. Would they have been poor?

Sam

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by samhuzz View Post
    What does Worsted mean, this was put in after his wife's job?
    Worsted is a type of cloth made from long-staple wool fibres which have been tightly twisted when spun. It is a very hard-wearing cloth.

(I knew that I studied textiles for a reason.... )

Reputation beyond repute

Here's a bit on Leics. FWKs for you -

https://www.leicestershirevillages.co...kknitting.html