Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    perisama

Default Maclaurin of Balquidder and family

My 3 x Gt Grandfather was Archibald Maclaurin born in Balquhidder in 1786. His father was Alexander and mother was Janet. I have caught up with Archie from 1832 onwards but have not been able to find much before then.
    Does anyone share the same family? he siblings were...
    Daniel b 1789
    Elizabeth b1791
    John b1793
    Ludovik b 1797
    William b 1797
    Peter 1798
    Janet b 1801
    Some were born in Comrie.

valr

Quote Originally Posted by perisama View Post
    My 3 x Gt Grandfather was Archibald Maclaurin born in Balquhidder in 1786. His father was Alexander and mother was Janet. I have caught up with Archie from 1832 onwards but have not been able to find much before then.
    Does anyone share the same family? he siblings were...
    Daniel b 1789
    Elizabeth b1791
    John b1793
    Ludovik b 1797
    William b 1797
    Peter 1798
    Janet b 1801
    Some were born in Comrie.
    Alexanders father would probably have been Archibald Mclaren. Have you founf his parents' marriage?
    I have 3 Mclaren lines going back to Balquhidder/Lochearnhead. I'll check later and get back to you.

perisama

Thanks ... The name changed as you know from Maclaurin to various types most commonly McLaren. It is getting very hard and SP is of no use I have found in my experience. I look forward to hearing from you.

valr

HI
    I'm afraid I can't find any of these people in the IGI!! Or rather I cant find Archibald or his brother Daniel (even checking under Donald instead bec as you know those names were sometimes used interchangeably) and nor can I find a marriage between Alexander and Janet in the few years prior to 1786 as I would expect.
    Can I ask where you got the info from? I checked Balquhidder and Comrie parishes

valr

OK
    I have abandoned Scotsorigins and looked at Familysearch instead. Here is a likely scenario .... on the basis Archibald was christened at Balquhidder on 24 November 1787 , not 1786 as stated in your post.

His parents Alexander McLaren and Janet McLaren married at Balquihidder 27 Jan 1787.

Janet was born 2 Nov 1766 Glen Ogle. Her father was Donald McLaren (b abt 1727 Glenbeich) and her mother was Elizabeth McLaren. (b abt 1731 Glenbeich) They married about 1761 in Glenbeich.

Donald's father was Patrick McLaren and his mother was Margaret Stewart, both from Glenbeich.

Glenbeich is a glen in the west of Comrie parish.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of any of that but it is what I found on the site, and it all fits nicely onomastically.

perisama

Aha so they were from the same Clan ? Kissing Cousins??? Thank you.
    Valr,...I found the other info re: children when I did parent search in IGI.

valr

Indeed - I'm sure there was plenty of that going on!
    Can I suggest that you might want to carry on research into your Stewart ancestor (Margaret b 1705) by contacting the forum at the Stewarts of Balquhidder website

http:
    //freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rykbrown/stewart_of_dalveich.htm

You will find this link to the relevant page on their site very interesting - it appears you are descended from the Stewarts of Dalveich, a branch of the Ardvorlich Stewarts. There is a bit of history, and photographs.

If you post on the discussion forum at the Help me find my Stewarts bit then there is a fair chance that the very knowledgeable people there will be able to help you trace your line exactly.

I also have a few lines of Balquhidder Stewarts in my ancestry. We must be distantly related somehow!

What other Scottish names are you rsearching?

Val

perisama

Hello again... Jolly interesting site. I have joined the forum group. It looks like poor old Margaret Stewart in the only person with no record of mum and dad. Still, wait and see as they say.
    the other thing I am trying to find is Janet's hubby, Alexander's parents. Possible so far is Donald McLaren and Margaret Cameron. Really not sure yet. Need to find more sources.

valr

does that fit with the naming pattern?
    Glad you found your way to the SOS website- they are all very helpful and knowledgeable
    val

valr

hi again
    do you know the names of all of alex's kids in birth order?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast