Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mick lowry

Question William (aka Edward) Dawson, Allestree, Derby

I am looking for info on William Dawson born abt 1809 in Allestree, Derby but
    in the 1851 census is listed as a wheelwright foreman in Birmingham married to
    Elizabeth Coxon who was also born in Allestree about 1820. By then they had 4 children. They married in Birmingham 1841.
    I assume to be a wheelwright he would have had to have done an apprenticeship, round about 1825-30 probably in Allestree. From the Pigots
    commercial directory for Allestree there is a listing for Thomas Woolley as Wheelwright, Allestree so i wonder if this is where he might have done his apprenticeship. Is there any way of finding out.
    He may have been the illegitimate son of Dorothy Dawson, she had a William baptised 26 June 1808, Allestree, St. Edmund.
    Any info would be gratefully appreciated, especially why he moved to Birmingham. Also any info on the Coxon family.

Jan1954

Hello Mick,

You may find this TNA research guide of interest - especially section 3.

mick lowry

Default William (aka Edward) Dawson, Allestree

Thanks Jan, i'll certainly have a look at that.

jaydee500

Quote Originally Posted by mick lowry View Post

I am looking for info on William Dawson born abt 1809 in Allestree, Derby but
    in the 1851 census is listed as a wheelwright foreman in Birmingham married to
    Elizabeth Coxon who was also born in Allestree about 1820. By then they had 4 children. They marriied in Birmingham 1841.
    I assume to be a wheelwright he would have had to have done an apprenticeship, round about 1825-30 probably in Allestree. From the Pigots
    commercial directory for Allestree there is a listing for Thomas Woolley as Wheelwright, Allestree so i wonder if this is where he might have done his apprenticeship. Is there any way of finding out.
    He may have been the illegitimate son of Dorothy Dawson, she had a William baptised 26 June 1808, Allestree, St. Edmund.
    Any info would be gratefully appreciated, especially why he moved to Birmingham. Also any info on the Coxon family.
    I am also interested in William Dawson who was my great great grandfather. We're you able to find out any more?

Shirl20

FS baptism for Elizabeth Coxon, 20 Aug 1820 Snelston, Derby
    Parents: Thomas Coxon & Elizabeth ?
    Original 1851 census document has Snelston as birthplace.

mick lowry

Hi jaydee500, William Dawson bn. c1809 in Allestree Derbyshire was my half brother Davids GG G/F and all the research i have done was for his benefit. I have most of the direct tree sorted but no further back than William other than maybe's. What was your G G/F name. David is still alive and living in Sydney Australia.

mick lowry

hi Shirl20 Many thanks for your info. Could i please ask where you got the info on Elizabeth Coxon's baptism

Shirl20

Found the baptism in FamilySearch IGI records, hence the FS abbreviation.

William/Edward Dawson & Elizabeth Coxon named their first child Dorothy Harriet Dawson,
    so this would be another link to the christening record for 1808.

mick lowry

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl20 View Post
    Found the baptism in FamilySearch IGI records, hence the FS abbreviation.

William/Edward Dawson & Elizabeth Coxon named their first child Dorothy Harriet Dawson,
    so this would be another link to the christening record for 1808.
    Hi again Shirl, tks for that info , i couldn't find it on IGI when i looked 3 years ago. Sorry to be a bit dim but what is the christening record for 1808 that you refer to ?. I know about Wm and Eliz 1st child being Dorothy Harriett bn B/ham 1842 who md a John H Wright in 1876 and had at least 5 children. I am not related to the Dawson family except that my half brother David who lives in Sydney is the GG G/son of William.

Shirl20

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906

William Dawson born 19 June 1808
    Christening Date: 26 June 1808 Allestree, Derbyshire
    Age at Christening: 0
    Mother’s Name: Dorothy Dawson

More FS records which may be of interest to you:

Dolly Dawson baptised 30 Dec 1781 St Edmunds, Allestree, Derby
    Parents: John Dawson & Sarah ?

Dorothy Dawson married Paul White 21 Nov 1826 Duffield, Derby
    Original 1851 census document states Dorothy White was born in Allestree, Derby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast