Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shirl20

Mick the link I was referring to was that William could have named his daughter after his mother.

In the 1861 Census, Paul White was an inmate of the Uttoxeter Workhouse.
    He died Sep Q 1862 Uttoxeter.

Dorothy White had died Jun Q 1860 Birmingham.

Does this prove she was your Dorothy?

Shirl20

Found this Coxon info posted on ‘ancestry public trees’.

Thomas Coxon b: 21 Feb 1787 in Norbury & Roston
    Parents: William Coxon & Elizabeth Harrison

m: 18 May 1807 Ashbourne, Derby
    Elizabeth Milner b: 1779

Children:
    Jesse Coxon (no info)
    Thomas Coxon b: 1807
    Ann Coxon b: 1809
    William Coxon b: 1811
    Arabella Coxon b: 1815 d: 1883
    Emma Coxon b: 1817
    Elizabeth Coxon b: 1820

jaydee500

Default William Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by mick lowry View Post
    Hi jaydee500, William Dawson bn. c1809 in Allestree Derbyshire was my half brother Davids GG G/F and all the research i have done was for his benefit. I have most of the direct tree sorted but no further back than William other than maybe's. What was your G G/F name. David is still alive and living in Sydney Australia.
    My great Grandfather was Thomas Dawson (b c1855). His wife was Jane and they married in Birmingham (c1877) and had, I think, 6 children the youngest of which was my grandfather William born in 1889.
    Thomas Dawson was the son of William (aka Edward) Dawson b1809 in Allestree.
    I would love to know how you and your half brother David are related to William Dawson b 1809

John Dawson

Shirl20

Going through those christening records for Allestree, mentioned in a previous post, I found the Dawson names relate to William, son of Dorothy.
    Five of William’s children have the same names as John & Sarah’s children (his mother’s parents):
    Dorothy (aka Dolly), Samuel, Philip, John, Henry.
    Before John & Sarah there is the family of John & Dorothy Dawson, probably William’s great grandparents as
    son John was born in 1754.
    William also named a daughter, Avis Arabella. His wife Elizabeth had a sister Arabella and John & Dorothy had
    a daughter Avice, born in 1747. Another family name that may have been passed down over time.

mick lowry

Hi John I can confirm that my half brother David Dawson b.1939 would have been the grandson of George Dawson b.1885 b/ham who was an elder brother of your grandfather William Dawson b.1889, both being sons of Thomas Dawson b.1854 and Jane (Greaves) b.1851. Thomas was one of possibly 8 children born to William Dawson b.1808, a wheelwright originally from Allestree, Derbyshire and his wife Elizabeth (Coxon) b.1820 in Snelston, Derbyshire.
    If you need or would like any further info it might be best to send me an email to micklowry AT btinternet DOT com. I could then if you wanted send you additional info as attachments.
    Regards Mick
    Last edited by Jan1954; 01-11-2012 at 9:27 PM. Reason: Email address edited to try to deter spammers

mick lowry

Hi Shirl many thanks again for your input. I have got most of the Dawson info including John and Dorothy, Williams gg g/parents but no further back. Have BMD info for Dorothy but not for husband John.
    I didn't know about Avis Arabelle d/o William and Elizabeth but have since found out from freeBMD she was born 3Q 1861 B/ham and died 2Q 1863 B/ham aged 1 year.
    May i ask where your interests lie.
    I haven't dug too deep into Elizabeth Coxon's family so i am grateful for your input in this respect.
    Pretty sure now that William b. jun 1808 was the illegitimate s/o Dolly (Dorothy) b. dec 1781. However this does not tally with the Dorothy who married Paul White. Census records for 1841 and 1851 would indicate that she was born c1789/90. e.g. aged 62 on 1851 census. Not sure how this can be resolved. The death in B/ham 2Q 1860 is interesting aswell as all the census data shows them living in Derbyshire.
    Kind regards Mick

Shirl20

Came across parish records on DustyDoc’s website and was only able to find one entry before the screen froze. Every attempt to access the site again only came up with an error on page message.
    Ironically it was for
    Avis Arabella Dawson: No 5736
    Abode: Well Street
    Date: 19 June 1863

In all my years of family history research I have known of many cases where false ages were given to hide the
    fact that one partner was a lot older than the other one. It can be found on marriage certificates as well as in
    census records. Despite the age difference for them, the rest of the pieces just seemed to fall into place.

Glad to have been of some help.

mick lowry

Thanks again for all your info. I will wait to see what develops from contact with jaydee500 on the Dawson tree.
    If i can return the favour and help you out in any way please feel free to contact me again.
    Regards Mick

jaydee500

I went to Derbyshire records office a while back. What I found backs up what you found, I also found out a little more......

Dolly Dawson's parents were John Dawson & Sarah (nee Garrot) from Cubley near Ashbourne. Sarah was born around 1757 and died 1839. Dolly was the eldest child but they had 3 (at least) other children: John, baptised 28/2/1785, Elizabeth, baptised 1/2/1790 and Philip, baptised 14/4/1793.

Dorothy Dawson married Paul White 21 Nov 1826 Duffield, Derby. I found an 1861 census entry listing a Paul White in the workhouse at Uttoxeter, he died in Uttoxeter a year later. If that was Dolly's husband I wonder what happened, why he was there and what happened to Dolly after his death?

Dolly's grandfather (father of John) was also called John and married a Dorothy. I can't find any dates for John and Dorothy. Apart from Dolly's father John, they had at least two other children, Henry baptised 10/1/1763 and Dorothy baptised 9/2/1780

There were an awful lot of John's, William's and Dorothy's in the family line!
    I had hoped to find out about the occupations of Dolly's parents and grandparents but no joy as yet! I will eventually visit the churches in Duffield and Allestree.

I found a record of death for Dorothy White in Birmingham June 1860, is that our Dolly? Did she move to Birmingham with her son William?

Just re read the whole thread, so it sounds like Paul White didn't marry our Dolly then?
    Last edited by jaydee500; 19-10-2014 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Just re read thread!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12