Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Cool London parish marriages

Thanks Karen. No, there are no new websites on his site for Middlesex/London. I will keep checking on free BMD and hope one day to find an answer. I sure wish our ancestors would tell the truth on census records, would make finding them so much easier!! For instance:
    !Film #438817,St. Leonards,Shoreditch,Holywell,Moorefields,Enumerato r
    #7 and 8 (1841 Census)
    !Living on Spencer Street,
    !Samuel Williams, age 35, Mariner, born there.
    !Jane Williams, age 30, born there.
    Well, later census records showed me that Jane was actually born in Chatham, Kent and I did find her christening record there which is why I am still checking all the parish records in Kent in hopes of finding their marriage there as well. I haven't been able to find any parish records for Shoreditch for the records needed for his birth, if he is in fact the son of the Japanese mariner and not the Japanese mariner. Still looking. Thanks again for your help. Any further suggestions by anyone, greatly appreciated.

Cool Middlesex Marriages

Thanks. Unfortunately, the Middlesex Marriages start much later than the 1837 to 1842 time frame that I believe I need to be looking in for a marriage for Samuel Williams and Jane Baker. There are also no additional Middlesex marriages at the free website you mentioned. Unless anyone else has any additional ideas, I'll just have to wait for Parish Chest to finish recording all of the Middlesex Parishes. They charge for information but are a good source. Thanks again.

Cool Website: Families in British India Society

Found a Bengal Will for Samuel Williams for 1849 which would be perfect as he is a mariner, was on the 1841 census and his wife a widow by the 1851 census. Does anyone know how to access these wills? I'm quite happy to pay for it, they just don't tell you how to access it. Thanks.

Cool JAPANESE MARINER IN MIDDLESEX

My ancestor, Samuel John Williams was christened 5 Sept. 1843 in Mile end, London, England. Through various means, I have discovered descendants from three of his brothers. We all have the same "family tradition". His father, Samuel Williams, was originally from Japan and had "adopted" the name of Williams. I have tried tracing name changes in Middlesex and London without success and wonder if I am not googling the correct information. I did find Samuel and his wife, Jane on the 1841 census for St. George, Middlesex and each said they were born in that county. I'm sure this is the right couple because they were living on Spencer Street where their son was living on the 1861 census. Jane was actually born in Chatham, Kent. Could it be that we are one generation off? That it is the grandfather of Samuel John and not his father that was born in Japan? Their marriage is not in Free BMD nor in the marriage records at the FHC. Any ideas, suggestions, help etc. would be appreciated. Thank you.

Keyboard86

Hi Happy Jackie, found another Pedigree resource file on Samuel John Williams,
    as you say he was born on the 5th sept 1843 in Mile End, he died 15th June 1891, he married a Amelia Van Kempen in May 1872 in Stepney, his father was also a Samuel John, born abt 1817 in the Mile End, whose wife was Jane Baker born abt 1821 also in the Mile End.

Amelia was born 9 Nov 1850 in the Mile end, and died 27th Jan 1934 in london, her father was George Peter Van Kempen and mother Caroline Huttley.

Hope this helps
    Best Regards
    Keyboard86

Keyboard86

Hi Happy Jackie, I have not listed the 7 boys Sam jnr had with Amelia, but 3 are shown to have died in what looks like the WW1 2 in France 1914 and 1915, and 1 in Iraq 1915
    1 also is shown to have died in Calgary, Alberta Canada in 1952.

Hope this helps if you need anymore info let me know.

Best regards
    Keyboard86

Cool Samuel's family

Thanks Keyboard. Guess who put all that information in to the file? Yep me. It was my grandfather, Frederick Williams who died in Calgary. I actually have pen pals in England from other of the sons who have the same family story. At one time, I even sent a letter to Japan but since it was illegal to emigrate from Japan during the early 1800's, they were not able to help me. I sent the picture of the traditional Japanese kimono that was worn by one of his sons to someone who knows about these things but, unfortunately, it was not a "family" kimono. I have additional information on all of those people you mention. What I really need is help to discover how I can either find a marriage record for Samuel Williams and Jane Baker or records to show a change of name either before 1841 or even earlier if it was actually the grandfather of Samuel John Williams and not his father. What would a change of name be called in England? Where would I find that information? Thanks again.

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jackie View Post
    I have tried tracing name changes in Middlesex and London without success and wonder if I am not googling the correct information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jackie View Post
    What would a change of name be called in England? Where would I find that information? Thanks again.
    As long as it isn't done with intent to defraud, anyone can change their name in England. You could change your name by Deed Poll, but this isn't necessary - you could just call yourself something different. The National Archives have copies of deeds enrolled in court, but most deeds were not enrolled in court. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/name/

Thank you. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Me again. Unfortunately, when I checked out the Deed Poll information at the National Archives, the year started was 1851. My ancestor was going by the name of Williams in 1843 when his son was born and in 1841 when I found him on the census. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast