Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Question CHAMBERS and ISAACSON of Swaffham Bulbeck

First, I have to say I'm fairly new to this so apologies if I don't give all the right information!

I am researching some of the Isaacsons of Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire. I am specifically interested in Julia/Juliana Isaacson who was born in 1855 (parents Jethro and Amy). I have all the info I need about Juliana herself (my Great Grandmother via her marriage to William Crockett) but in 1871 she was working as a domestic servant at Burgh Hall for the Chambers family and in 1877 she gave birth to an illigitimate son who she named William Frederick Chambers Isaacson. Methinks there may have been some funny business below stairs!

Chambers (as he was known) was brought up by his grandmother Amy (I have his 1881 census details but can't find him in 1891 or 1901, if anyone can help?)

He married in 1908 (either Florence Harding or Sarah Hornsey) in Stratford (London, I think rather than Avon, but I could be wrong) but I have no further information on him. I would like to find out if they had any children, where they lived, what he did etc.

If anyone has a connection to this branch of the Isaacson tree I would love to hear from you.

Copper

Careful quizzing of the 1911 census index gives this family

Stratford on Avon registration district

William Isaacson, age 34
    Sarah Isaacson, age 23
    Cyril Isaacson, age 11 months

From this you can deduce that he married Sarah Hornsey. Now you can quiz Free BMD to see if there were any other Isaacson children with a mother's maiden name Hornsey.

spison

I'm sorry Dogaholic,

further to my PM. I only have gone backwards and concentrated on the origins of the family through the censuses descended from either James or Thomas and Martha (1841C at Swaffham Bulbeck). I do have an obvious descendant of the family (named Chedorlaomer Ison) - but not the child of Jethro and Amy - perhaps one of their grandchildren - emigrating to Australia in the early 20th century. I'd have to rat around to find the source so let me know if you need it.

Jane

Lizzy9

In 1891 he was still living with his grandmother in Swaffham, their address was High St.

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1294; Folio 128; Page 8;
    Last edited by ChristineR; 30-07-2009 at 8:50 AM. Reason: remove copyrighted GSU number from citation

Lizzy9

In 1901, he was lodging in Birmingham. His occupation : Bread Baker

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2850; Folio: 8; Page: 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    Careful quizzing of the 1911 census index gives this family

Stratford on Avon registration district

William Isaacson, age 34
    Sarah Isaacson, age 23
    Cyril Isaacson, age 11 months

From this you can deduce that he married Sarah Hornsey. Now you can quiz Free BMD to see if there were any other Isaacson children with a mother's maiden name Hornsey.
    Thank you Copper, that's really helpful. I don't suppose you can tell me the address in Stratford and/or his occupation?
    I've tried Free BMD but they didn't list the mother's maiden name at that time. I'll have to take a trip to Warwick some time for Parish info.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    I'm sorry Dogaholic,

further to my PM. I only have gone backwards and concentrated on the origins of the family through the censuses descended from either James or Thomas and Martha (1841C at Swaffham Bulbeck). I do have an obvious descendant of the family (named Chedorlaomer Ison) - but not the child of Jethro and Amy - perhaps one of their grandchildren - emigrating to Australia in the early 20th century. I'd have to rat around to find the source so let me know if you need it.

Jane
    Hi Jane,
    Jethro & Amy did have a son named Chedorlaomer - an unusual name to say the least! He was born in Swaffham Bulbeck in 1849, married Emma Watts in 1871 and died in SB in 1928. I have no record of him going to Australia. Maybe yours was a grandchild as you say, maybe his own son or another relation named after him. I would be interested in the info if its not too much trouble.
    Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by slizzy View Post
    In 1891 he was still living with his grandmother in Swaffham, their address was High St.

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1294; Folio 128; Page 8; .
    Hi Slizzy,
    In fact he is listed twice on the 1891 census with his grandmother - once at her house and again with his aunt Charlotte Day. The enumerator must have caught them during a vist.
    Last edited by ChristineR; 30-07-2009 at 8:51 AM. Reason: remove GSU number from quoted citation

Quote Originally Posted by slizzy View Post
    In 1901, he was lodging in Birmingham. His occupation : Bread Baker

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2850; Folio: 8; Page: 5.
    Hi again,
    My only search source for the 1901 is through Genes Reunited and he doesn't come up anywhere on a search for Chambers Isaacson or William Isaacson. Is there any chance you could give me another name on the page so that I can try and find him that way - Isaacson often gets misspelt during transcription in many different ways!

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by dogaholic View Post
    Hi again,
    My only search source for the 1901 is through Genes Reunited and he doesn't come up anywhere on a search for Chambers Isaacson or William Isaacson. Is there any chance you could give me another name on the page so that I can try and find him that way - Isaacson often gets misspelt during transcription in many different ways!
    Hi,

Are you unable to find the census sheet via the source ref I gave you? Sorry, I never use GR therefore don't know whether they allow ref searches. On An* he's transcribed as William F C Isaacson. These are the other people on the same page.

Frank Worton 32 Sarah J Worton 32 Frank H Worton 5 William F C Isaacson 24 Sydney J Constable 16

They are at: All Saints Birmingham Warwickshire.
    Last edited by Lizzy9; 30-07-2009 at 9:22 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast