Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Copper

I can't help with any extra information for the 1911 census as that would require me to spend money. I have no credits left and I am waiting until they allow a sub for that census.

From Sep quarter 1911 mother's maiden names are included in the GRO index. I quizzed Free BMD and did not find a birth of an Issacson with Hornsey as the mother's maiden name.

Loves to help with queries

That's brilliant, thank you. As I thought, he has been transcribed as Isaackson - one of many different versions. On GR you can only search by name, so if there is an error you're stumped.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    I can't help with any extra information for the 1911 census as that would require me to spend money. I have no credits left and I am waiting until they allow a sub for that census.

From Sep quarter 1911 mother's maiden names are included in the GRO index. I quizzed Free BMD and did not find a birth of an Issacson with Hornsey as the mother's maiden name.
    OK Copper, thanks anyway.

spison

Dogaholic,
    When I transcribed this information I was at work so it was an interrupted operation at times. I am hunting for the actual source and someone out there may be able to assist but my only record is "Departures from England to Australia." I'll keep searching for the actual site.

Chedorlaomer DID come as Isaacson (not Ison) - my poor memory. I transcribed the Isaacsons for the reasons outlined in the PM.

Chedorlaomer Isaacson b. 1913 Travelled to Sydney in 1828. I didn't look for a ship as he wasn't mine. I did do a quick search of NSW BDM and found nothing but with these names he may be there. You will know the tribulations of this surname.

There were no other Isaacsons coming in the same year to Sydney. With such an unusual name he must belong to your family.

If you google his name you'll get a UK family website on the wife of the earlier Chedorlaomer.
    Jane
    Last edited by spison; 30-07-2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: More info remembered

spison

Further to that

While I haven't found the source on which I originally found this emigration, it is able to be found on F*** M* P*** in the migration section. Put in the info I gave you and bingo! Hope it is OK to suggest this. If I'm not allowed to make this suggestion I'm sure a moderator will remove it.

Jane
    Last edited by spison; 31-07-2009 at 6:42 AM. Reason: not sure if I can say this?

Hi Jane, many thanks for the further info. However, I am a little confused as to the correct dates - b.1913, emigrated 1828?? I'm assuming that they both should be 1900s and am investigating accordingly! If I'm wrong please let me know.
    Thanks.

Procat

Greetings all,

As the surname board is only for listing surnames I have moved this thread to the Cambridgeshire board.

spison

Default The keyboard moved!

Quote Originally Posted by dogaholic View Post
    However, I am a little confused as to the correct dates - b.1913, emigrated 1828?? I'm assuming that they both should be 1900s and am investigating accordingly!
    He was either VERY, VERY, VERY young or some clutz made a typo!

Yes! He came in 1928 so he was only about 15. Very intriguing.

Jane

Martin shipp

Default Chambers - Swaffham Bulbeck

I have been researching my Ship(p) family tree. My Great Gret Aunt Susannah (as known as Lucy) Ship married James Chambers who inherited and died at Burgh Hall, Swaffham Bulbeck. However before she married him, she had 4 illegimate sons with him named John, Richard. Henry and Frederick. In the 1851 Census she is listed as his housekeeper at Hillborough, Norfolk. Susannah was the daughter of an agricultural labourer, so a bit of a "rags to riches" story.

I wonder if you know the name of the father of William Frederick Chambers Isaacson? It would be interesting to see if this one of James Chambers/Susannah Ship's children. James died at Burgh Hall in 1873, so dates seem to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by dogaholic View Post
    First, I have to say I'm fairly new to this so apologies if I don't give all the right information!

I am researching some of the Isaacsons of Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire. I am specifically interested in Julia/Juliana Isaacson who was born in 1855 (parents Jethro and Amy). I have all the info I need about Juliana herself (my Great Grandmother via her marriage to William Crockett) but in 1871 she was working as a domestic servant at Burgh Hall for the Chambers family and in 1877 she gave birth to an illigitimate son who she named William Frederick Chambers Isaacson. Methinks there may have been some funny business below stairs!

Chambers (as he was known) was brought up by his grandmother Amy (I have his 1881 census details but can't find him in 1891 or 1901, if anyone can help?)

He married in 1908 (either Florence Harding or Sarah Hornsey) in Stratford (London, I think rather than Avon, but I could be wrong) but I have no further information on him. I would like to find out if they had any children, where they lived, what he did etc.

If anyone has a connection to this branch of the Isaacson tree I would love to hear from you.

Hi Martin,
    An interesting story. We don't know for certain who Chamber's father was and there is a lot of supposition around the circumstances. In 1871 my great garandmother, Juliana Isaacson was on the census (as Julia) aged 16 and working as a domestic servant. The fact that she named her son (b.1877) Chambers led us to believe that the father's surname was Chambers. As she lived near Burgh Hall we assumed that was where she was working and that the father was one of the family. However, we have no proof. Mind you, James Chambers seems to have been a bit of a ladies man so anything's possible! Sorry I can't be more definite, but if you find any clue amongst famliy accounts books (if you have them) that Julia(na) Isaacson was employed there then it would make the case stronger.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast