yelkcub

Default James Horsfall, teacher, Bury St Edmunds

I would value any help and advice in tracing the life of my grandmother's brother, James Horsfall, born 1883 in Whitworth, near Rochdale. In the 1901 census James, still living in Whitworth, was recorded as a pupil teacher. The 1911 census found him living in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk - recorded as an assistant teacher. I know that he enlisted in the army in early 1915, achieved the rank of sergeant, and was discharged with wounds, 1917. I think it likely that he returned to teaching after his convalescence. But how to set about finding him?
    I'm hoping that I may be able to borrow the expertise of B-G members to help me trace James Horsfall
    Best wishes from Cornwall IAN

janbooth

Default James HORSFALL

British Origins, which is a pay per view site, does hold Teachers Registrations 1870-1947. Doing a free search on the name James HORSFALL does bring up one entry in the General Records section which includes Teachers Registrations, so it may be worth speculating. Have a look and see what you think.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

I take it you have found him on the 1891 census?

Class: RG12; Piece: 3344; Folio 10; Page 14

Sue

yelkcub

Many thanks for both responses. I will certainly look at the British Origins site as you suggest ... hoping that he resumed his teaching career after his discharge from the army.
    Yes - thanks - I have all the census images for the Horsfall family: James was at home with his parents Fred and Esther in Whitworth until after 1901. From some postcards I have, James was in London for a while and then Sleaford before turning up in 1911 in Bury St Edmunds.
    Again, I'm very grateful for these contributions and ... the search continues!
    With best wishes from VERY rainy Cornwall
    Ian

yelkcub

Unfortunately this turned out to be the wrong James Horsfall, but it was definitely worth a try. I wonder whether, if 'my' JH is not found in those records, that means he did not return to teaching after his discharge from the army in 1917?

Retlaw

Quote Originally Posted by yelkcub View Post
    I would value any help and advice in tracing the life of my grandmother's brother, James Horsfall, born 1883 in Whitworth, near Rochdale. In the 1901 census James, still living in Whitworth, was recorded as a pupil teacher. The 1911 census found him living in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk - recorded as an assistant teacher. I know that he enlisted in the army in early 1915, achieved the rank of sergeant, and was discharged with wounds, 1917. I think it likely that he returned to teaching after his convalescence. But how to set about finding him?
    I'm hoping that I may be able to borrow the expertise of B-G members to help me trace James Horsfall
    Best wishes from Cornwall IAN
    Not sure if this helps but I have details of a Basil Horsfall,
    who served for a time with the 11th Battalion East Lancs.
    Basil was killed in action and awarded the V.C.

Retlaw.

yelkcub

Thanks for that, Retlaw - unfortunately I don't have a Basil Horsfall in my family. Shame - it would be quite something to have a VC in the tree!
    Cheers IAN

Brick wall demolition expert!

Using the pay website Ancestry, I found the following listing in the 1924-1925 Seed's Directory of Southport and District:

page 296

Horsfall J., teacher (science), 99 Cambridge Rd

Adele

yelkcub

Well done! I'll pursue that lead. The J Horsfall whose record is available on the BO site was a woodwork teacher, a Yorkshireman, so this Southport chap must be someone else. And 'my' JH was a Lancastrian, albeit from Whitworth, Rochdale. In WW1 he served with the Lancashire Fusiliers.
    Many thanks!

yelkcub

I realise I have posted a similar request quite some time ago. I'm just returning to my genealogical researches after quite a long break, and thought that it would do no harm to post a reminder.