bethel3

Default Help with 'Concah or Coneagh' - Galway

Hi, in my madness have offered to help a friend out by searching for his ancestors in Ireland.

The only info I have is the name of his grandfather i.e. Michael Concah (or could be spelt Coneagh - found in 1901 census Warrington, Cheshire). He was born abt 1877 in Glenamaddy, County Galway.

Is there any one researching the same name? Or can anyone give advice regarding best ways of researching in Ireland. Any help would be great as I have never researched in Ireland until now! Thanks. Jacqui

stickymone

Hi Jacqui,

Welcome to the madhouse of researching Irish ancestors

However in your case there may be a glimmer of hope

Go to the LDS site and under search records click on record search pilot, enter your mans details (using Coneagh) and you'll find an interesting result.

Not perfect but close

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by bethel3 View Post
    Or can anyone give advice regarding best ways of researching in Ireland. Any help would be great as I have never researched in Ireland until now!
    Do you think that your friend would spring you for this: Irish Family History on the Web. It looks to be packed full of ideas of what to search for and where.

locallad27

Irish Civil Register (began 1864)

Has Concah families.
    https://www.labs.familysearch.org

Jack

obbie

whom where when did he marry ? for his paps name .

close very close !
    Name: Michael Concagh born 19 Sep 1873 Glennamaddy Galway Father James Concagh Mother Kate Reilly

is this family 1901 ?
    michael coneagh(coueagh) 25 galway
    elizabeth 21 warrington
    bridget 3
    william 9 days
    william caakey (caskey) widow 45 mayo

if so is william michaels dad or elizabeths dad ?

AraghtyTom

Hi, Jacqui,
    A few years too late withis info, maybe, but Boyounagh RC parish register (Glenamaddy, Co. Galway, Ireland) records the birth/baptism of Michael Concagh on 9 Jul 1876, child of William Concagh and Brigid Toole. Sponsors Thomas Corr and Brigid Murry.
    I didn't find him in GRO births.
    IGI has Michael Cuncagh born 7 Feb 1877 to William Cuncagh & Bridget Cuncagh Toole, in Co. Galway, Ireland. Batch no. C005483)

Both records refer to the same person. The baptismal date is almost certainly the correct one, as it was common practice in those days to baptise children quickly, i.e. within days. Civil registration on the other hand would not have been a priority. However, as penalties were imposed if one didn't register a birth within a couple of weeks, a recent date was given when actual registration was made. In this case, it looks like they didn't register the birth until the following February!

And yes, research in Ireland is not straightforward, particularly as no census survives before 1901.

Regards,
    Tom Stephens