Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Should just mention that in 1861, William Thomas is actually written down in abbreviated form. And being the only Foster, made him hard to spot.

Wm Th(os) Foster.
    The (os) are run together in just the single squiggle.
    ChristineR

SLFoster

Hi to all of you and thanks for your replies. I was looking for conformation that William Clark from Huntington was married to Rebecca Foster from Hunton because in the 1851 census it showed William Thomas Foster’s relationship to head of family as son ,even though they had different surnames .It pans out like this Williams birth certificate no father mother Rebecca Foster who marries William Clark. William T Foster printer compositor marries Emma and in 1881 census they live at 1 Trafalgar square with 4 children one is Hubert Foster my grandfather it now makes sense. All I got to do now is sort out Rebecca.I do know her father is Lawrence.Thanks again.
    Last edited by SLFoster; 27-07-2009 at 4:25 PM. Reason: bit extra

Cary Christopher

Default Records for William Thomas Foster

Howdy,

I'm just curious about this case because I found what appears to be the baptism of your ancestor:

Southwark, Saint John Horselydown
    Name: William Thomas
    Date of birth: 28 Oct 1841
    Date of baptism: 26 Feb 1843
    Names of parents: William & Rebecca Foster
    Abode: New Street
    Profession: Carman

============

Then what appears to be his marriage record:

Lambeth, Surrey, Saint Mary at Lambeth Church
    Date of marriage: 7 August 1864

Name of groom: William Thomas Foster, bachelor, (both of full age), profession: compositor, residence: Princes Square, father: William Thomas Foster (dec.), merchant

Name of bride: Emma Elizabeth Dawson, spinster, Wolcut (?) Square, father: William Dawson (dec.), profession: saddler

Am I missing the mark or does any of this sound like who you're looking for?

Cary C.

SLFoster

Unhappy My ramblin

Hi Cary C.

Sorry not to get back to you sooner but I have been away from home.
    I have had trouble getting my head around William T Fosters early years! This is the way I see it, birth certificate for William 28 Oct 1841 mother Rebecca Foster no father name or occupation. Rebecca from Hunton in Kent may have gone to London to have baby.
    Then christening 26 Feb 1843 St. John Horseleydowns Bermondsey Father William Foster I doubt this is correct because 1851 census shows William Clark head, Rebecca Clark wife and son William T Foster I also found a marriage for William Clark and Rebecca Foster in 1846. I think penny dog and mutley were right early on but I did get stuck with the 1861 census it shows William age 19 relationship to head son, occupation compositor address 9 Cross keys Square I get stuck there as I have tried to view what should be the census image but it does not show the correct address, neither do the pages before or after.
    William and Emma marriage 1864 makes sense because I found a1860 marriage there must be a lot of William and Emma out there. I’m very sorry I seem to be rambling.

Cary Christopher

Smile

It didn't sound like rambling to me but then I probably ramble quite a bit...sometimes ramble...oftentimes ramble...OK, I ramble continuously.

Your research on your paternal line just proves that common surnames can create very difficult research dilemmas. All seasoned researchers know that we start with a thread of facts from family and older relatives and the hunt leads us down some winding trails.

Like the character Christian in Bunyan's, "Pilgrim's Progress", we end up in the Slough of Despond. Stuck in the mud or quicksand and trying to figure a way out.

People like Pennydog, Mutley, Kerrywood and others are far more knowledgeable than I about research in and around London and elsewhere in the UK. I just take a look at the postings, following the assistance already provided and see if there is some way I can help.

Years ago as a young American sailor in the Far East on a joint military exercise with Brits and other nations, the late Rear Admiral Derek Bazalgette gently chastised a decision I made by saying, "Christopher, you mustn't muddle about with these things." My apologies if I've muddled about again.

Cary

SLFoster

Thumbs up Thanks

Hi Cary,

I’ve just read your post again and I realise that I never answered your question. Yes it does look like it’s the William I was looking for and I’m grateful for the information as I did not have the address’s you gave. My concern now is was there a William Thomas Foster (dec.) or was this what he was told by Emma and William Clark.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12