Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default EDMEE GREATOREX HART NEE RICHARDS

I have responded by private e mail to the person who contacted me regarding Edmee Greatorex Hart nee RICHARDS and hope they have received my three messages regarding my connection to the lines. Edmee was not Jewish but married Dr Napthali Asher Hart who was. He was the son of Aaron Hart and Rebecca Crawcour my 3x great grandparents.
    Phillip

Staceyp

Hi Phillip
    I'm not linked to any of your Ancestors however a lady I work with is a Greatorex and she has a book on their family tree going way, way, way back (and even further) I am happy to get the link to the author of that book if you would like - I understand he is in the UK.
    Cheers

Default EDMEE GREATOREX HART NEE RICHARDS

Many thanks Stacey- I would be interested in discovering more.
    Phillip

I started this thread many years ago and am re-visiting it based on my recent research regarding the children of Edmee Georgina Richards Greatorex who married Napthali Asher Hart aka Asher aka Arthur Roberts aka Arthur Robert Hart. I have posted a wide range of data including primary sources on Napthali and his two children Rosina Marjorie Hart and Aaron Alfred Hart aka Alfred Aaron Hart- see the threads Rosina Marjorie Hart-Alfred Hart and Napthali Asher Hart M.D.

The following posts identify the siblings of Edmee and provide data on their parents Alfred Bate Richards and Marion Seaward Greatorex. I hold photographs of Edmee, Alfred Bate Richards plus Rosina Marjorie Hart and Aaron Alfred Hart and Edmee aka Kitty Richards daughter of Edmee Georgina.

Alfred Bate Richards had married Emma Gaggiotti ( I will post data on the marriage) and they had a son Raoul Alfred Gaggiotti Richards Jan qtr 1850 Marylebone 1 257. There are Ancestry public family trees which record Raoul dying in Italy in 1890 but I have not confirmed this.

Alfred Bate Richards separated from Emma Gaggiotti and had a relationship with Marion Seaward Greatorex. The following children were born from this relationship:
    Edmee Georgina Richards Greatorex Marylebone 1a 485 Sept qtr
    Olga Beatrice Escairmonde De Richards St.George Hanover Square 1a 274 March qtr 1865
    Silvia Caroline Richards June qtr 1872 Woolwich 1d 956
    Edgar Carrington Richards St.Giles 1b 485 June qtr 1865
    Lilian Mary ( age 4 in the 1871 Census)**** Currently I can't locate her in the GRO Birth index

1871 Census ( Copyright TNA)RG10 621 11 .17
    12 South Place St.Mary Newington Lambeth

Alfred Bate Richards H M 37 Barrister at law Journalist and landowner b Claines Worcester
    Marion C S Richards wife 27 b Kent Road
    Edmee Cammilia dau 9 Scholar b ? North
    Olgar Beatrice dau 4 b Pimlico
    Lilian May? dau 4 b Pimlico
    Edgar Carrington son 3 b Bloomsbury
    Silvia Caroline dau 1 b St.Pancras

Baptisms
    Olga Richards St.Michael and All Angels Hounslow 26 Dec 1882
    Parents Alfred Bate - journalist and Marion Richards 22 Woodstock Road ***

Edgar Carrington Richards St Edmund the King and Martyr City of London-Parents Alfred Bate and Marion -Mark ? Knave Kennington *** Thees 2 baptisms are when the two children were much older and both their parents dead.
    Currently, I can't locate other baptisms.

I will post a range of data on the lines.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Default SILVIA CAROLINE RICHARDS 1872-1950

In this post I will provide data on Silvia Caroline Richards who was to marry William Henry Cox Waters.
    Silvia was the informant and present at the death of her sister Edmee in 1897. Silvia's address was 49 Talworth Road Cardiff.
    In the 1891 Census ( Copyright TNA)she is living with William Joseph and his family in Monmouthshire.
    191 Chepstow Road Monmouthshire
    William Joseph H M 47 Commercial Traveller b Margane, Glamorgan
    Caroline M wife 41 b Orkney Islands, Scotland
    Margaret dau 7 b Newport Monmouth
    Annie B dau 3 b Newport
    Muriel F dau 2 b Newport
    SILVIA E? RICHARDS 21 servant S Domestic b London

1901 Census 9 Copyright TNA) RG13 4957 8 8 11
    9 Bryngwyn Road Newport Monmouthshire
    William Joseph 56 H M Iron Merchant b Glamorgan Margane
    Caroline M wife 50 b Orkney,Kirkwall
    Margaret G dau s 17 b Monmouth Newport
    Annie B dau s 13 b Newport
    Florence M dau 12 b Newport
    Alexander J David brother in law M 48Barrister at law b Orkney Kirkwall
    SYLVIA C RICHARDS visitor single b London

In the 1881 Census ( Copyright TNA) RG11 1392 74 21
    Silvia is with her siblings at school and Edmee is a visitor.
    Chase Side 4 Lime Villas Enfield Middlesex
    Edmee Richards visitor U 19
    Lillian Richards boarder 14 scholar
    Silvia Richards 11 boarder scholar
    Inez Richards 8 boarder scholar
    Mabel Richards 6 scholar

In the 1911 Census ( Copyright TNA)RG14 31967 237 William Joseph with his wife and daughter Annie are living at 9 Bryngwyne Road Newport Monmouthshire. William and his wife appear as witnesses at the marriage of Sylvia in 1903

Parish Mavidee Monmouthshire
    June 3 1903
    William Henry Cox Waters 31 Bachelor 45 The Avenue Yeovil Surveyor-father Edmund Waters Mechanical engineer deceased
    SYLVIA CAROLINE RICHARDS 31 Spinster Morden Road-father Alfred Bate Richards deceased Barrister
    Witnesses M Y Joseph, ? Joseph, Caroline M Joseph,John H? Dodimead

1911 Census ( Copyright TNA)
    Highbury 57 Croydon Park Yeovil
    William Hy Cox Waters H 38 M Architect and surveyor b Monmouthshire Christchurch Newport
    Sylvia Caroline wife 38 Married 7 years 1 child still alive b Middx Marylebone London
    Sylvia Doris Muriel dau 6 b Yeovil Somerset

1939 Register ( Copyright TNA)
    179 ...Yeovil Somerset
    William H C Waters M b 29 Feb 1872 Architect and Surveyor
    Sylvia C Waters wife b 29 Dec 1872 Unpaide domestic duties
    Sylvia D M Waters b 6 July 1904 Assistant lecturer and demonstrator Physics and Chemistry University of London
    1 record officially closed

Probate
    Sylvia Caroline Waters 40 Hendford HillYeovil Somersetshire (wife of William Henry Cox Waters) died 1 April 1950 Admin to William Henry Cox Waters Architect £158 1s 3d

I will post further on the siblings of Edmee.

Default OLGA BEATRICE ESCLAIRMONDE RICHARDS

This post includes data on Olga Richards.
    1891 Census (Copyright TNA)
    Fir Lane "The Rectory" Steeple Aston Oxfordshire
    Olga B E Richards visitor s 26 Governess school b London WC in the house of John A Brookes H M 68 Clerk in Holy Orders

Parish Church St Martins in the Fields London
    21 August 1900
    Frederic Moleson Burke 53 Single Consul General for Portugal in Algeria St.Martins in the Fields father Edward Burke deceased Ship owner
    Olga Beatrice Esclairmonde Richards 34 Spinster St.Marylebone father Alfred Bate Richards Journalist
    Witnesses Blanche Blogg, John Chapman

1921 Census (Copyright TNA)
    19 Holwood Road Bromley
    Olga Burke widow H 49 b London Principal of School Avonly? Bromley
    Patricia Rhoda Burke dau 19 single b Algiers Africa Resident British born Attending educational institute whole time
    Teresa Quigley Governess 23 single b Collarney Co.Sligo employer O Burke Principal

1939 Register (Copyright TNA)
    1 Marleboroughn House
    Olga Burke F b 27 July 1861 widow unpaid domestic duties
    Patricia R Burke F b 18 May 1902 Single Actress Producer

Probate
    Frederick Moleson Burke 101 Leadenhall Street London died 27 July 1917 at Algiers -Administration with will to Sir Henry Seymour King K.C.I.E. Effects 3867 19s

There were 3 children from the previous marriage of Frederick Moleson Burke- Nora Marie Burke August 1879, Renira Winifred Gladys Burke Jan 1881, Madeliene Lucy Burke June 1882. His first wife was Lucy Ellinor Anne- see Divorce Petition 1889 and later judgement

Patricia Rhoda Burke 12 Lisgar Terrace London W14-Probate died 6 June 1969 Administration Bristol £5357

GRO Death Index Patricia Rhoda Burke b 18 May 1902 April qtr 1969 age 66 Fulham 5b 749

There are various newspaper articles for Patricia R Burke showing the stage plays she directed. The Kensington News and West London Times Friday Sept 3,1954
    " Miss Patricia R Burke Producer who lives in West Kensington..close friends with G.K.Chesterton and it was for her personally the paly was written-The Surprise..she coached the Query Players since their inception in 1949..

Default GERTRUDE INEZ RICHARDS

This post adds data on Gertrude Inez Richards daughter of Alfred Bate Richards-Marion Seaward Gretorex. The GRO Birth Index record shows Gertrude Inez Richards Oct qtr 1872 Southwark 1d 169. The GRO main site records do not show a mother's maiden name.
    1891 Census (Copyright TNA)RG12 4386 59 11
    49 Albany Road Glamorgan
    Inez G Richards Governess school 18 single b London. She is in the house of Llewellyn J Powell and family

Australia Marriage Index
    31 May 1911 Mitchell Queensland- marriage to John Peace

Australia Electoral Rolls 1919
    Euston Bowen Bridge Road Windsor Lilley Queensland
    John Peace Dentist; Inez Gertrude Peace Home Duties

Death
    Mrs J Peace,Ozanne Street Paddington funeral of her husband John Peace..for Toowong Cemetery. The Courier Mail ( Brisbane)Queensland Wed 24 January 1940

1959 Queensland Electoral Rolls
    Inez Getrude Peace 71 Cricket Street Petrie Tce Paddington Brisbane Queensland Home Duties

There is a Queensland Marriage Certificate 1911/C/2117 31.05.1911

Currently, I am unawre if any children were born to the marriage. Ancestry public family trees have a death year for Gertrude of 1966 but this needs confirming.

Default EDGAR CARRINGTON VERE RICHARDS 1868-1895

This post follows on from previous data on the siblings of Edmee Richards daughter of Alfred Bate Richards and Marion Seaward Greatorex.
    GRO Birth Index
    Edgar Carringon C Richards St Giles 1b 485 June qtr 1868

He emigrated to Australia and settled in Queensland. His Marriage Index record-5 April 1890 Queensland to Mary Eustace.He maybe the Edger Richards 17 b abt 1867 who left Plymouth on the Sirsa and arrived Cooktown 3 March 1884.

His son Bertie Cecil Vere Richards was born 1891 Parramatta NSW

There are various Australian Newspaper accounts of Edgar particularly relating to his death. The newspaper accounts relate to a fatal affray 1895 when he was knocked down by William Horner and suffered a fractured skull and lacerations to his brain. He died in Sydney Hospital age 28. He was described as late of Sydney NSW auctioneer and previously an ex publican. He was stated to have been drinking and aggressive. The case went to trial but no case was found against Horner and he was freed. Edgar's wife and son lived at 252n Forbes Street and she stated that her husband was 28 and born in London. He owned property worth £900 in Chatswood.

Funeral- The funeral of Mr Edgar Carrington V Richards son of the late Colonel Alfred B Richards of London...burial Waverley Cemetery. The Sydney Morning Herald Weds Dec 11,1895

Findagrave- Waverley Cemetery Bronte Waverley Council NSW Death Date 12 Dec 1895 b 1867 Plot W-9-GE-OR-1818

Australia Electoral Rolls-Bertie Cecil Vere Richards 1917 Toowong Brisbane Queensland.Linton, Dixon Street Auchenflower Engineer M

Mary Josephine Richards Home duties

Australia Death Index
    Bertie Cecil Vere Richards Death 21 Sept 1953 Queensland father Edgar Carrington mother Mary Eusthon ( appears to be spelling error)

Findagrave- Bertie Richards Death 1958 Cemetery Nudgee Brisbane City Queensland Plot A3-09-08

Australia Marriage Index
    Bertie Cecil Vere Richards 28 May 1914
    Queensland
    Mary Bridget Josephine Corbett

Their sons-
    John Redman Richards 1916-
    Leonard George Edgar Richards 1919-1995 married Kathleen Margaret Mary Hussey

Nb I have not confirmed the dob or death dates for the 2 sons.

The Queenslander Saturday 9 May,1914
    Marriage
    Bertie Cecil Richards ( only son of Mrs Richards,Euston,Bowen Bridge and late of Mitchell,to Miss Mary Josephine Corbett( only daughter of Mrs George Corbett of Red Hill, and of the late Mr George Corbett of Mitchell)
    Married St.Stephen's Cathedral May 28 1914- The Brisbane Courier Wed 10 June 1914 ( description of the wedding and those present including some details of family relationships.

Leonard George Edgar Richards marriage to Kathleen Margaret Mary Hussey (The Telegraph Brisbane Thurs 14 Jan 1943 a photograph of Kathleen and details of the forthcoming marriage.

Default THOMAS CHARLES GREATOREX

This post provides data on Thomas Charles Greatorex and Frances Tappy the parents of Marion Catherine Seaward Greatorex the mother of Edmee Richards. These are not Jewish lines but rather than post on a separate thread I have chosen to consolidate data specifically related to Edmee Richards and her descendants.

I was in contact several years ago with descendants of Edmee and there are family trees on Ancestry but these have not been updated for some years.

There are numbers of Ancestry public and private family trees relating to Thomas Charles Greatorex. However, these trees lack a range of data and require updating. These trees also describe Thomas Charles Greatorex as Thomas Charles Harrison Armishaw known as Greatorex born 26 December 1806 Uttoxter Stafford. There is a baptism record for a Thomas Armishaw 26 December 1806-Anglican-and the Marriage License 17 December 1802 between John Armishaw and Sarah Greatorex Uttoxeter Staffordshire-Sarah Greatorex 21 b 1781 John Armishaw 21- He was widowed.

I have yet to confirm the name changes.

There is a Church of England Marriage by license 27 March 1830 between Thomas Charles Greatorex Bachelor of this Parish and Frances Sappy parish Woolwich Kent spinster-witnesses Catherine Sappy, John Sta...??

There are Baptisms for the children of Thomas and Frances:
    Thomas Marshall Greatorex 20 Nov 1831 St.George Hanover Square Westminster-parents Thoams and Frances Greatorex Charles Street Carver and Gilder- Thomas was buried 27 Jan 1832 age 1 St.George Hanover Square Westminster Charles Street

Marianne Catherine Seaward Greatorex born 7 Nov 1838 parents Thomas HARRISON Greatorex and Frances Holly House New Kent Road Gent St.Mary Newington.GRO Birth index Marian Catherine Greatorex D qtr 1838 St Mary Newington 4 326 Mother's maiden name TAPPY

Fanny Jane Greatorex 17 Nov 1832 parents Thomas Charles Greatorex Charles Street St.George Hanover Square Carver and gilder-Baptism 11 June 1833 parents Thomas Charles Greatorex and Frances St George Hanover Square-Charles Street Carver and gilder

Death-Frances Greatorex b 1809 burial 20 June 1841 St.Mary Magdalene Woolwich Greenwich
    Tappy's Passage Powis Street age 32. GRO Death Index Frances Greatorex J qtr 1841 Greenwich Union 5 175

There is another child Maria Louisa Greatorex b 1835 and I will supply data on her in a later post.

Marian Catherine Seaward Greatorex was to have a long term relationship with Alfred Bate Richards.

Further data to follow.

-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast