Thread: AMR&O

lucygrasshopper

Default AMR&O

Hi,
    I came across a Great Uncle's 1935 Army documents in the Australian Archives. There was very little to them because he signed up for three years in 1935, and was dicharged AMR&O 253, 38 days later.

My search has covered some gory ground under the heading of Army Military Regulations and Orders.

Thus far my understanding is that Australia AMR&Os were those of the British Military dating from 1904. We changed them a bit in 1941 and it would seem we didn't get our own until about 1982.

So, is there anyone out there who can tell me what offence was committed to warrant discharge from the Army under AMR&O 253 in 1935.
    Thanks
    Lucy

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default AMR&O 235

Hi there,
    Just searched the above and it would appear that the 235 refers to offences committed while on active service. The introduction of AMR&O 236 allowed the army to deal with offences committed whilst not on active service. It looks like it could have been anything, ie the 235 refers to offences committed on active service rather than any specific offence.
    Carol

lucygrasshopper

Default AMR&O

Hi Carol,

There was no active service...I don't think he would have been out of basic training in 38 days. Interesting though.

Thanks for the look
    Lucy

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default sorry

My mistake - I put 235 instead of 253

lucygrasshopper

Default AMR&O

Thanks for clarifying this...still a puzzle though

Lucy

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hi Lucy

Quote Originally Posted by lucygrasshopper View Post
    Thanks for clarifying this...still a puzzle though

Lucy
    Hi Lucy - I realise this response comes years later but I just stumbled across your question and thought I'd answer anyway....

----------------------------
    Regulation 253 - conditions under which a soldier was discharged.

AMR&O 253A (R.184A)
    (1) A soldier on war service, whether enlisted voluntarily or in pursuance of the provisions of Part IV of the DA [Defence Act] (other than a member of the Corps of Staff Cadets or the Volunteer Defence Corps), may be discharged under this regulation from the Military Forces for any of the following reasons, that is to say:

(a) For the purpose of being appointed to commissioned rank; or
    (b) For the purpose of being enlisted in or appointed to or commissioned in the Royal Australian Navy or the Royal Australian Air Force or any force of any other part of His Majesty’s dominions or of any foreign power allied or associated with His Majesty in any war in which His Majesty is engaged; or
    (c) For the purpose of enlisting in any expeditionary force raised or being raised for service outside the Commonwealth; or
    (d) That he is medically unfit for further military service; or
    (e) That he is considered unsuitable for any further military service; or
    (f) That he is under the age of eighteen years; or
    (g) That he has attained the age of sixty years; or
    (h) To enable him to take up employment in an industry or occupation his employment in which is necessary in the interests of the defence of the Commonwealth, the more effectual prosecution of any war in which Hi Majesty is engaged or for maintaining supplies and services essential to the life of the community; or
    (i) Because, by reason of his age or standard of medical fitness, he cannot be suitably posted in his present rank or grade; or
    (j) At his own request on compassionate grounds; or
    (k) That, by reason of numerous convictions, he is deemed to be incorrigible; or
    (l) That he has, before enlistment, been convicted by a civil court for an offence involving dishonesty or physical violence; or
    (m) That he has been sentenced during his service to penal servitude or imprisonment by a civil court or court-martial; or
    (n) On account of demobilization.

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog...o-253a-1n-mean

Hope this helps... though after this many years you probably know all that already
    Jess