Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default REBECCA "RECA" MATTHEWS NEE HART

As a follow up to my original postings and very useful information supplied I have discovered that Henry Aaron Hart ( he was born 1 Jan 1845 not 1847 as I first stated) had a daughter Rebecca "Reca" Hart who married Charles Matthews in 1901 Sydney NSW. She died circa 1960 in Sydney. Her husband Charles Matthews 1882- 26 March 1939 was a taxi driver. Rebecca and Charles appear to have had several children and their names Mona,Dom,John, Kay are listed in the newspaper article on Charles's death. In addition, on the death of Henry in 1914 another newspaper article records condolences from Bernard Hart of Lithgow and Miss Rose Hart of Croydon together with Reca and Charles Matthews ( the message refers to Henry Hart as 'late beloved father and brother of Henry Aaron Hart). The newspaper article recording Henry's death in 1914 gave his address as 8 Little Bourke St Surry Hills and stated' Henry Aaron Hart son of the late Henry Hart of Kennington England.'
    Henry's tombstone Rookwood Jewish Cemetry identifies Aaron H Hart as his father and Reca as his daughter.
    The earlier posting which cited a divorce petition from Henry against his wife Mary Gertrude Hart nee Murphy and their marriage in Melbourne 29 July 1880. Decree nisi was granted 29 July 1904. The divorce petition claimed desertion and drunkness however in 1888 Henry received an order for £1 a wek maintenance. I am aware that there are living Matthews in Australia and they are welcome to contact me further regarding Henry's roots ( his parents Aaron Henry Hart and Rebecca Crawcour).
    My many thanks for the previous help regarding this posting.
    Phillip

Glenpaul

Hey Phillip, My Great Great Grandfather was Aaron Hart and Anne was my Great Great Grandmother, my name is Glen Harris I was born in South Africa 1961. I am doing the genealogy of my Fathers family and am trying to find out more about my Aunts Uncles, Great. Great Great, or not as well as their children, childrens children etc any info would be great, I have a copy of the Brithish sensus about G.G.Aaron and family as well as British sensus of my Great Grandfather Henry whom I assume moved to South Africa in the late 1890's or early 1900 where his son, my Grandfather, Harry met my Grandmother, Gladys Eustace, their is only one of my Fathers siblings still alive B..... Jacobs ... lives in Johannesburg South Africa. Am I right to assume that you are a second cousin or third cousin of mine?
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 14-01-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Details of living persons must NOT be posted - see our Terms of Service

Dear Glen
    I have data on all my Hart lines and do not recognise the data you have posted. As you can see from the posting I made on Henry Hart he died in Australia so I do not understand why you believe he went to South Africa. Can I suggest you contact me via private message so that you can confirm all the data you hold. We can then cross check it against my own data.
    Phillip

Glenpaul

My records show Henry Hart marrying Hannah Isaacson in London City they had 8 children according to the census of which one was Harry Hart my Grandfather who also had 8 children one of which was Cecil Bernhardt Hart my Father But changed his name to Kenneth Harris and also produced 8 children

Glen, would you mind contacting me direct on the private e mailing or set out the data on this forum. You mention your records showing the marriage of Henry Hart to Hannah Isaac. Do you have a copy of the GRO Marriage certificate and if so, I would appreciate full details. Does the certificate cite Henry's father as Aaron Hart boot/shoe manufacturer?In addition, you refer to ' the census' but don't say which one or give details. I would appreciate your help with this. If Henry Hart married Hannah Isaac why did he go to Australia and what happened to Hannah? Was his daughter Rebecca from his first marriage? At present I don't have a clear understanding of the relationships.
    Phillip

Glen
    I believe that you are referring to Henry Hart who married Hannah Isaacson who was born in New York. I have seen the family on a major pay site family tree but Henry's parents are named as Henry Hart b 1822 and Jane Symons. The Henry Hart and Hannah family appear in the 1871 and 1881 census where he is a Gas fitter. I have not specified the respective data on the census but have full details of the family. Unless the marriage certificate for Henry Hart states his father is Aaron Hart boot/shoe manufacturer then I suspect you have a different family to my own.
    Phillip

This follow up is in response to new data sent to me by one of my Hart relatives. The new information identifies the 1st marriage between Henry Aaron Hart and Hannah BROOKE nee VIANT.
    Familysearch have a record of the marriage in summary which records Henry Aaron Hart -father Aaron Hart -Hannah Brooke widowed -father John VIANT Marriage 29 March 1871 Kennington. GRO Marriage Index Record March qtr 1871 Lambeth 1d 310

Marriage between Hannah VIANT 21 spinster b 1843 Parish of Eling Southampton spinster -Richard James BROOKE
    bachelor 21 St.Margaret Middx 6 Feb 1864.

Richard James Burke was in co-partnership with Thomas Brooke wholesale hardwaremen 9 Houndsditch and 9 Tothill Westminster and 11 and 12 Duke Street Aldgate -the partnership was dissolved. The London Gazette Feb 7 1862
    Richard James Burke died in 1870- age 37 Born 26 Feb 1833 Burial 26 Feb 1870 Brompton Cemetery Private Grave AC 23 9X121.3 Full grave St Botolph Aldgate

Probate
    Richard James Brooke 9 Houndsditch City of London wholesale hardwareman died 19 Feb 1870. Probate to Hannah Brooke widow, relict residuary legatee £9000

Hannah died as Hannah Hart age 32 b abt 1839 Oct qtr 1871 London 1c 9. She is buried in the same grave as her former husband Richard- Brompton Cemetery Hannah HART 9 Houndsditch Dec 29 age 31 Private Grave 2nd Internment-AC, 23 9,121,3
    Baptism
    5 Jan 1840 Hannah VIANT, Hampton Wick St.John the Baptist Richmond Upon Thames-Parents John/Hannah Viant-father Surveyor of ??

1871 Census RG10 10 94 31 (Copyright TNA)
    Lord Warden Hotel St.Mary Kent
    Henry A HART 26 Married Gentleman b London
    Hannah Hart 30 Married Lady b Southampton,Anne Hart u 27 Lady b London

There amybe a son born from the 1st marriage of Hannah.

Marriage and Death Certificates for Hannah are needed to confirm the above data.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Default HANNAH HART NEE BROOKE NEE VIANT

The following Probate Record identifies Hannah Hart nee Brooke nee VIANT as the wife of Henry Aaron Hart ( see previous post and their marriage 29 March 1871)

HANNAH HART ( wife of HENRY AARON HART)late of 9 Houndsditch City of London died 25 December 1871 at 9 Houndsditch.Probate granted to HANNAH VIANT (wife of John VIANT, Toton near Southampton County of Southampton the MOTHER the Principal Legatee for life.

Nb There are several Ancestry Public family trees which have not identified the marriage to Henry Aaron Hart nor the death of Hannah in 1871. These trees have recorded the wrong Hannah and given her death as 1903 in some cases.

I have ordered the GRO Marriage Record for Henry Aaron Hart and Hannah as well as her Death record and will post these on arrival.

Henry Aaron Hart married twice outside the Jewish customs as did his sisters Eve/Eva and Grace and his brother Napthali Asher Hart aka Arthur Robert Hart. The other siblings who married were all Jewish ceremonies- see the various posts on the lines under various threads- Hart/Crawcour/Jacobs among others.

Default HENRY AARON HART TRADING AS R.J BROOKE

This data from The London Gazette 5 December 1873 confirms the Liquidation of Richard James Brooke wholesale hardware company taken over by Henry Aaron Hart on his marriage to Richard J Brooke's widow Hannah.

HENRY AARON HART trading as R J BROOKE ) 9 Houndsditch City of London Wholesale Hardmen.

Henry Aaron Hart's father and his brother John were boot and shoe manufacturers trading at 156 Houndsditch as A and J Hart boot and shoe manufacturers. Aaron Hart's sister Bella had married Josiah Solomon who were in the Hardware and associated trades but were a very successful business.

Default HENRY AARON HART-HANNAH BROOKE NEE VIANT

The Pall Mall Gazette Saturday April 1 1871
    MARRIAGE
    HART-BROOKE
    Mr H A Hart to Hannah, widow of R J BROOKE -March 29

The New Parliament (Sheffield) Friday Feb 20 1874
    The Affair of H A HART
    The article refers to the liquidation of the former R J Brooke wholesale hardware business:
    The business failed June last for £4457 against assets of £2600
    On his marriage to Hannah Brooke nee Viant Henry Aaron Hart assumed control of the business but was bankrupt within two years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast