Loves to help with queries

Default McKie Family, help needed with name

needed with name found on the 1851 Scottish Census.

I am researching the McKie Family, namely John Mckie B abt 1795 Colmonell, Ayrshire and his wife Mary McIlwraith B abt 1811. On this census Marys' maiden name is Thuraith (I am sure it should read McIlwraith) however the name I'm having problems with and I'm hoping that you can help me with is their son Lessnck McKie B abt 1827 Colmonell, Ayrshire.

I have never come across this name, is it short for something or just plain mistranscribed (I don't have any credits at this time) I can't find him on the 1841 census with Family or anywhere else and no other census. So just hoping someone can shed some light.

Many thanks
    Alison

Super Moderator

I've found the family on the 1841 census but no sign of "Lessnck".

John is 41 a farmer
    Mary 40
    Mary 9
    Janet 7
    William 5

Of course Lessnck could have been transcribed incorrectly, as you found with Mary's mother. Also the 1851 shows Janne whereas the 1841 shows Janet.

Loves to help with queries

Thanks Sue, yes there appear to be several errors on this one, will just wait until new card arrives and get credits for SP. Annoying isn't it when you find something and just want to get stuck in straight away.

Alison

Knowledgeable and helpful

On the 1851 census on freecen there is a son John age 24 living with parents John and Mary at Altikean, Colmonell -Ayrshire.

Check this one out on freecen as there is also a Mary Ilwraith mother in law so could be "your " family
    Chasing Caseys

Knowledgeable and helpful

Abrreviated version of the 1851 on freecen ( that could be yours without more info to go on)

MCKIE John Head 54
    MCKIE Mary Wife 50
    MCKIE John Son 24
    MCKIE Mary Dau 19
    MCKIE Jannet Dau 17
    MCKIE William Son 15
    MCKIE Agness Dau 8
    ILWRAITH Mary Ma-Law Widow
    MCCULLOCH Hugh Servnt 16 Farm Servant

This is the family living at Altikean, Colmonell -Ayrshire
    Chasing Caseys

lynleyc

Hi

I'm new to this forum and I was delighted to find it. I'm in New Zealand and also researching McKies in the Colmonell area. Gilbert McKie, born about 1835 in Colmonell emigrated to NZ and was my ancestor. I'm having trouble teasing families apart - there were lots of McKies and Mackies in Colmonell and the neighbouring area - including Wigtown. Is there anyone looking for Mckies? I'd be happy to share information

Colin McKie

Hi

I have just seen your post. It has been several years since I looked at this, but I distinctly remember that that there two Gilbert McKies were born in Colmonell at about this time. I spent sometime on trying to sort this out at the time. Although I will struggle to remember how I came to the conclusions that I did, I still have the conclusions I reached. Let me know if you want to know more.

Kind regards

Colin McKie

lynleyc

Hi, yes I'd love to know more!

Our Gilbert Mackie appeared in NZ for the first time in 1866. He married in NZ in 1868 and his marriage cert states he was born at '4 Colmonell, Girvan, Ayrshire, Scotland'. Using this information we found him, we think, in the 1841 census as a 6yr old Gilbert McKie living with his family at Dornall, Colmonell, Ayrshire, then in subsequent census until 1861 (as below)
    1841 Census:
    living at Dornall, Colmonel, Ayrshire
    McKie David - 40 - farmer ----------David's age should be 44 (rounded down for the census).
    McKie Ann - 40
    McKie Isabella - 15
    McKie Elizabeth -14
    McKie John - 11
    McKie Gilbert - 6
    McKie Ann -3
    McKie Hellen - 7mths Also living there are
    Gilbert McClure - Male Servant - 65 ---------probably Ann's father
    Gilbert McClure - Male Servant - 20 ----------probably Ann's brother
    Jannet McClure - Female Servant - 15 ---------probably Ann's sister
    Alexander McKie was not at home. He would have been 16 and probably out at work somewhere else.

1851 Census:
    living at ?Drumtarlie House in Penninghame (Wigtown)
    McKie David - head - 54 - b abt 1797 - Colmonell - grazier of 13 acres
    McKie Ann - wife - 52 - b abt 1799 - Dalby, Ayr
    McKie Isabella - dau - 24 -b abt 1827 - Colmonell
    McKie Elizabeth - dau - 22 - b abt 1829 - Colmonell
    McKie John - son - 20 - b abt 1831 - Colmonell
    McKie Gilbert - son - 16 - b abt 1835 - Colmonell
    McKie Ann - dau - 13 - b abt 1838 - Colmonell
    McKie Hellen - dau - 11 -b abt 1840 - Colmonell
    McKie Jannet - dau - 7 - b abt 1844 - Colmonell
    McKie Sarah - dau - 3 - b abt 1848 - Colmonell
    McNeilly Alences - Grand dau - 1yr - b abt 1850 - Penninghame
    Mary Gill - visitor - 12 - b Minnigaff, Kirkubright
    Mrs McNeilly and a son Alexander were not at home.

1861 Census: 35 ?Warstone Lane, Birmingham, England.
    McKie Alexander - Head - un - 27yrs - b Scotland - draper is living with his brother Gilbert and sister
    McKie Annie - sister - un - 22 - b Scotland - house keeper
    McKie Gilbert - brother - un - 25 - b Scotland - draper

We can't find him in the UK after 1861 and he turns up in NZ registering dogs at St Bathans in 1866 - we can't find him on any shipping register. Given the circumstantial evidence, we think this is our Gilbert.

What we would like to be able to do is confirm that this is indeed out Gilbert, and be able to go further backwards. Gilbert's father was David McKie = Ann(e) McClure. There was a David McKie born to Alexander McKie and Isabel McClure on 14th June 1792 at Balhamage. Was this David's father?

There were lots of McKies and McClures in Ayrshire at this time. Have we chosen the correct families??

Any information you have that can confirm or refute our interpretations would be gratefully received

Thanks for your help

Lynley Chirnside

Colin McKie

Dear Lynley

My sincere apologies for the extreme lateness of my reply to your email. Suffice to say that I had lost my relevant notes and have only found (some of) them today, and in between had completely forgotten about your outstanding inquiry.

I think you are correct. If I recall correctly (and it has been many years now since I did the research) I had difficulty distinguishing the Gilbert McKie of Colmonell to whom you refer and the following Gilbert McKie also of Colmonell in respect of whom I concluded:

B ca 1834
    M 8 June 1859 (to Mary Nisbet), occ Police Constable
    D 12 April 1862, occ Police Constable

This Gilbert McKie would have been one of four known children of John McKie and Janet Wilson (namely Margaret (b ca 1831, d 1 December 1901); William (b ca 1833, d 5 February 1897); Gilbert (as above); Mary (b 9 October 1841, d 22 May 1851).

As for his father, John McKie:

B 5 February 1796
    M before 9 October 1841 (Janet Wilson, B ca 1800, d 15 April 1879)
    D 5 May 1879
    Occ labourer

Kind regards

Colin McKie