Ken Berry

Default RNZAF Hampden Crash Turnberry Scotland 1943

Hi All,Was wondering if by chance anyone has a photo of the Plane crash as above.My wife's father was a member of the crew,all buried at Dunure,Scotland just down the coast. I believe some of the aircraft is still in the side of the hill and can be seen.Best Regards Ken B

Staceyp

Hi Ken - my husband's Uncle John from Bonnyrigg may have some information on this crash. It is his 89th birthday today (amazing hey).. so we will be phoning from WA later this evening and will ask him!
    He was a volunteer at the East Fortune Aviation Museum, so if he doesn't know I am sure he will know who to contact!

Cheers

Staceyp

Hi Ken - just spoke to Uncle John in Scotland who unfortunately doesn't have any info, but will ask some of his `old' cronies and will let me know what he can find out. I have also sent out an SOS to other relatives in and around Turnberry who may be able to through some light on this one.
    Cheers

Staceyp

OK...OK... it's getting late in WA - I really did mean to type `Throw some light on this one' - time to hit the sack!!

Have you seen this BBC link

Ken Berry

Default Hamppden Torpedo Bombers at Turnberry

Hi Stacey and Neil, Many Thanks for your emails and interest,have had a few PM's as well,Thanks to you all.Even from a Prof.in Canada who is doing some, research into "The Commonwealth Air Training Scheme in Canada".Best Regards Ken B

Rustyangel

Default Hampden Crash Turnberry

Hi,
    I have just come accross your posting. Are you still looking for info re this accident?

I have been researching Turnberry Airfield for quite a few years, and have the Operations Log Books and Crash Cards. There were two 'high ground' accidents in 1943, there is only one hill that qualifies in this immediate area, Mochrum Hill. If you could give me a name, I can let you know what info I have.

There are about forty airmen buried at Dunure, all from RAF Turnberry.

Regards from a wet and windy Turnberry

Margaret

Ken Berry

Default Hampden Torpedo Bomber Turnbery

Hi RustyAngel,
    Thank You for your reply in BG FORUM.My wifes Dads details I'l list below.We have been to Dunure Twice 1974,before the Sword of Valour was installed.Then again in 1992.Dad as he was called by all his crewmates because of his age,from the time he left NZ.He was 31 and all the rest of his batch were just about under 21.He was hoping to be a pilot but was knocked back due to his age,He volunteered as he and his wife had seperated and his Mum and Dad were bringing up his two Daughters (Rita 7 years old now my Wife and her sister Norma 5 years old).The girls have all his letters still from the time he pulled away from the wharf in Wellington to the day before he died.He was a prolific letter writer 10 - 20 pages,at least once a week.Very interesting telling all the details of his training etc.In quite a few letters you can see why he was called Dad as he wasn't a big guy but he would stand over some of them till they wrote home.His best friend was Les Buttimore who is buried close to him.Dads brother was Ashley ( about 12 years younger) and was a Spitfire Pilot the last couple of years of the war.Then Demobbed in NZ but couldn't give up his flying.Got his commission back in the RAF a couple of years later.Went back to be an instructor at the Fleet Air Arm base out of Salisbury and was killed in an Air Collision.He is buried at Old Sarum out of Salisbury,think it is called the Maim London Road Cemetry.Thats enough of my ramblings Thank You for bearing with me.

WopAG NZ417208 Flt. Sgt.Sydney Raymond Greer.RNZAF age 33. 115.F/hours
    Haampden TB.I X3026

Thank You once again for any information you might have oor find out.Best Regards Ken and Rita Berry

Rustyangel

Default Hampden X3026

Hi Ken,

I have found the following records: -

ORB (Daily Operations Record Book)
    7/08/1943 Hampden X3025 (incorrect number) crashed into the wood between Maybole and this station. Crew of 4 lost their lives.

Crash Card
    7/08/1943 Hampden TB X3026. Pilot F/O Johnstone J.H.W. 414043 and 3 crew killed. Pilot had 210 flying hours of which 88 on type.
    Summary: - a/c flew into high ground in poor vis. and low cloud.
    Pilot did not land with rest of formation. Fault of Pilot.

On the official crash cards, usually only the Pilot is named, the names of the other crew have to be obtained from the Ministry of Defence, Air Historical Branch.

I have rather scrappy pictures of the Pilot and Navigator if you are interested, let me know if you want copies of the official records.

Do you know if the names of this crew are on the memorial at Turnberry?

Regards
    Margaret

Ken Berry

Thumbs up Hampden TB.I X3026

Hi Margaret,
    Thank you for your email. I actually have a feeling we have communicated a few years ago,I was ill for a couple of years and had a nice new titanium knee replacement 6 months ago which went a bit haywire with an infection which meant another operation.Anyway everything is fine now.But won't be playing for Kilsyth Rangers or Renfrew Juniors.I served 2 1/2 years of my apprenticeship and studies at Babcock & Wilcox at Renfrew 1950 - 1953.I did a lot of touring in Scotland while I ws there.The B & W Hostel for 28 Students on the Foxbar Road out of Paisley.The students were from all over the world and the hostel was really an old Lairds house I believe and it was beautiful.A Mr Fergus MacDuff Gourdie and his wife were our Mum and Dad.They had a very high standard set for the students behaviour,but it was a marvellous atmosphere.They had a staff of maids and cleaners and groundsman,as it was on about 3 acres if I remember correctly.Yet we had some of the most enjoyable party's for all kind of reasons and trips around Scotland.Unfortunately it has all been knocked down I believe,
    Sorry for rambling on a bit..I recall that you were very involved over the History of Turnberry during the war and the Air Crews that were stationed there.In the back of my mind was the memorial you had planned to be erected at or near the Golf Club.We have quite a bit of information aboutmy Father in Law my wifes Dad.He was 33 years old and was hoping to be a pilot,but with everyone calling him Dad on the way over to Canada for training alerted the Officer in charge.He had to own up and was transfered to the Wireless Operator/Air Gunner Course.My wife and sister stillhave all his letters that he wrote from the Day they left Wellington NZ uip to the day before he died.He and his wife had separated in 1937 and his Mum and Dad brought up Rita and Norma.We visited the UK in 1992 and visited Dunure Cemetry and his brothers grave just out of Salisbury at the Main London Road Cemetry,was called Old Sarum when we were there in 1974.If you have some copies of events or photos.We would love to see them if you can scan them.
    I have a very good printer,My daughters on loan.We have written a couple of times a few years ago to RAF Gloucester about Ashley Dads brother.He was killed in the RAF and there is no record of him in NZ.Even in the RAF.It seems there is charge of 25 pound sterling,so hopefully the RNZAF might pay it as they want his name on the Memorial next to his brothers at the Museum in Christchurch.Thank You Margaret the people who enabled me to get in touch with you.Best Regards Ken Berry
    ps started to do a bit of genealogy about 6 years agoand having been in Scotland if I had only known what I know now.My Grandmother my Grandfathers wife came from the Shetland Isles and my G/Granfather my Grandfathers Dad was a Daniel Ferguson Berry,Iron Shipbuilder from Gourock..I was always so comfortable in Scotland and I now know why.God Bless Ken again.