George4

Default Phillips Family from Hanbury Woodend

Hi all,

Thanks to the B-G Forums for being available in order to assist people researching their family tree's

I am trying to establish if there are any descendants of the Phillip's family originally from Hanbury Woodend Staffordshire or surrounding area's, that might be undertaking similar research. It's a long shot, but worth the try.

My Greatgrandfather George Edward Phillips was born in Hanbury Woodend to Joseph Phillips and Ann Phillips [nee White] in 1861. He later left England arriving at Sydney Australia with his 3 paternal uncle's in 1878 aged 17. He married Sarah Turner in Pyrmont Sydney in 1888, but he later settled and died in Perth Western Australia in 1933 aged 73.

I have been very unsuccessful in tracing his 3 paternal uncle's John, George and Thomas Phillips in Australia and all attempts to trace them is beyond my knowledge.

My main interest is to establish, if there are any descendants of my Phillips family from the Hanbury Woodend, Staffordshire or descendants in Australia.

Kind regards

George Phillips

Perth Western Australia

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi George,

It's a really long time since you posted your question so I'm not sure whether you are still researching this, but I am also interested in this family.

My great-great-grandmother Ann Maria Yardley (nee Walker) married Edwin Henry Phillips, who was one of the other sons of Joseph and Ann Phillips, so he would be your great-greandfather's brother. Joseph and Ann moved to Armitage near Rugeley (still in Staffordshire, not that far from Hanbury) and their younger children were born there.

Edwin and Ann Maria had one daughter, Gladys May, who never married, so he doesn't have any direct descendents. I'm descended from Ann Maria's first husband, Edward Yardley. However, Edwin was apparently like a father to my great-grandfather after his own father died tragically young, so I consider Edwin to be an ancestor, albeit by adoption rather than by blood.

I did get in touch with another descendent of Joseph and Ann Phillips some time back, but only briefly. He is in the UK but not in Staffordshire.

Best wishes,
    Victoria

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Victoria
    Unfortunately George4 is no longer a member of BG as indicated by the word 'Guest' under his name. We can't alert him to your post as we do not keep any contact or other details for 'Guests'.
    Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply to his post and the information you have provided could help others in the future.
    Now that you have joined us if you need any help with any of your ancestors you could find a suitable forum and post what you know and then a friendly sleuths will be only too happy to see what they can find.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs