Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ronniejon

Default In search of the GOLDEN FLEECE

Searching has revealed a family Pub of named "THE GOLDEN FLEECE " located somewhere in Deptford approx 1850.The ancestor's name being Alfred Fosdike,could anyone advise where to search, I have no idea of actual date, its a guess taken from his childrens birth date.

any info greatly appreciated. Ronniejon

Keyboard86

Default In search of the Golden Fleece

Hope I can help, not much for you but another area for you to look.

In the British telephone Directories a Alfred G Fosdike was living in the following places in New Cross which is Deptford.

1937 / 1939 33 Vesta Road S E 4
    1932/3 Wallbutton Road S E 4
    1951/2/3/4/5/ 59 Jerningham Road

Their is also a marriage of one Alfred g Fosdike in greenwich to a Timms in June qtr 1915.

Hope this helps.
    Best regards
    Keyboard86

Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

I found this blurb:

CARRINGTON HOUSE
    Old properties including the Golden Fleece pub and cramped lodging houses were demolished for the construction in 1902-3 of this hostel and the adjacent Sylva Cottages. On the ground floor were common rooms and on the five upper storeys some 800 cubicles for homeless men. In 1940 the charge was 8d per night and a bath with towel was 2d. Lockers could be rented for a shilling a year, sixpence of which was returned when the key was surrendered. It was converted in 1995 and renamed Mereton Mansions. Its railings are made from wartime stretcher frames.

Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

And this:

Victorian London Taverns,
    Inns and Public Houses

Golden Fleece - Mill Lane, St Paul, Deptford, GREENWICH [1881 census]

Reputation beyond repute

Janet Fosdyke, widow, was licensee in 1881.

What is it you're hoping to find?

QueSera

Quote Originally Posted by ronniejon View Post
    Searching has revealed a family Pub of named "THE GOLDEN FLEECE " located somewhere in Deptford approx 1850.The ancestor's name being Alfred Fosdike,could anyone advise where to search, I have no idea of actual date, its a guess taken from his childrens birth date.

any info greatly appreciated. Ronniejon
    The Golden Fleece, Mill Lane, Deptford

deadpubs.co.uk
    Lists:
    1881/Janet Fosdyke/Licensed Victualler, Widow/52/Bow, Middlesex/Census ****
    1881/John Fosdyke/Son, Manager/24/Bow, Middlesex/Census
    1881/William Fosdyke/Son, Zinc Worker/22/Stepney, Middlesex/Census
    1881/Harriett Fosdyke/Daughter, Housemaid/20/Hackney, Middlesex/Census
    1881/Robert Fosdyke/Son, Bricklayer/18/Hackney, Middlesex/Census
    1881/Alfred Fosdyke/Son, Apprentice/15/Deptford, Kent/Census

1882/Mrs Jane Fosdyke/../../../Post Office Directory ****

Mutley

And a bit of history for Mill Lane is here
    Now called Brookmill Road. It's on google maps.

Earlier, I think it ran down beside the Kent Water Works originally known as the Ravensbourne Water Company.

If you google for that you will find some information, maybe not on the pub, but certainly where it was. Like this. Click the map

PeterFosdike

Default Probate & Painting

Hello, I few years late but I just came across a Golden Fleece proprietor called Andrew Fosdike born 1820 and died in the pub in 1869. He was originally of Woodbridge, which is the 'family seat'. The Probate is here

[link to Ancestry removed]

My family have a painting of the Golden Fleece that my grandfather painted when he was looking into his relatives. To find that the pub was pulled down in 1902 and the painting painted between 1930 and 1950 ( i will have to find out when) is very peculiar.

Would be interested to hear who here has been researching the Fosdike tree and what your link to the family is.

P

Hallo Peter and a warm welcome to B-G. I have removed your link to Ancestry, as commercial links are not allowed (see the AUP), but in any case it simply led to a log-in page. If you wish to share the tree you may send the link via our private message system.

Similarly ronniejon has not visited the forum for a couple of years, but if you send him a private message (click on his user name) this should generate an e-mail alert to him.
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 27-06-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Adding link to AUP
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Knowledgeable and helpful

There are at least two images of the Golden Fleece on line. They differ somewhat, although one seems to be correct as it displays the name over the door.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast