Thread: Repeat entry

Chrissie68

Default Repeat entry

Is there any way to duplicate an entry into multiple records without having to type it over and over again? E.g., I have a curate and churchwarden who ofiiciated on the marriage register I am transcribing, and I'm writing them into the notes. Is there a function key I can press to duplicate the entry into each record so i don't have to type it out every time?

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Can you not use copy (CTRL+C) and paste (CTLR+V) - forgive me if that is too obvious - or does not work in the software! I have found it works in most though ...!!!
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain

Chrissie68

Hi Barbara, thanks for answering.

I tried ctrl + C but it doesn't work. I have to use the mouse and right click, then copy, then go to the fiels, right click and paste. I've done data antry for years, and usually if oyu want to put the same info in a field on every record you can usually tab to the field and just hit a function button, then the info from the previous record is pasted automatically. It saves slowing oneself down by having to go from keyboard to mouse and back again.

But Alas! it does not seem to work on FreeReg.

Kirk Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie68 View Post
    Is there any way to duplicate an entry into multiple records without having to type it over and over again? E.g., I have a curate and churchwarden who ofiiciated on the marriage register I am transcribing, and I'm writing them into the notes. Is there a function key I can press to duplicate the entry into each record so i don't have to type it out every time?
    The copy (Ctrl-C), paste (Ctrl-V) and cut (Ctrl-X) functions work within WinREG.

You can also use the auto-fill option for the Abode, Occuapation and Parish fields. In addition you can turn on the option to insert the last date into the date field and just change one part of the date.

There are a number of other keyboard commands capabilities supported. Please have a look at the Help for a full list.

Chrissie68

I'm sorry, but the X, C and V functions do not work within FreeReg on my computer - like I said I can right click and select from a list, but not use the CTRL + options. Otherwise I'd have been doing that and would never have asked the question!

Kirk Dawson

I'm sorry, but the X, C and V functions do not work within FreeReg on my computer - like I said I can right click and select from a list, but not use the CTRL + options. Otherwise I'd have been doing that and would never have asked the question!
    Which version of WinREG are you using? Go to help and look at About and it will give you a version number.

Kirk

Chrissie68

Version 2.01.30. It's only recently been downloaded from FreeReg as I am such a newbie transcriber (but not a newbie to data entry!)

Kirk Dawson

Version 2.01.30. It's only recently been downloaded from FreeReg as I am such a newbie transcriber (but not a newbie to data entry!)
    The support for the keyboard commands Ctrl-C,V,X as well as the auto fill was added in version 32.

Can I ask that you got to Help and run the Check for Updates option. You will then get the latest version installed which is version 34.

Kirk

Mike Fry

That's at least 4 months old We release an update each month. The last was at the beginning of July and was version 2.1.34

Chrissie68

Well that explains it then!

Thanks, all done now and working fine x