Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    custard_pot

Default Jeffery - Help Please

I am trying to find the birth of my Grandmother Sarah Jeffery but not having much luck. Trouble is that from certificates and census I have 5 possible birth years for her, 1887, 1888, 1889, 1890, 1891. So I thought I would try to find births of her siblings but no luck there either.

I have Sarah born at either Ilfracombe or Knowle Devon. She married William Albert Ansted in Exeter on 4/2/1911 age 22.

She married my Grandfather William Charles Summerfield in East Stonehouse on 26/12/1916 age 25.

She died at 123E King Street Plymouth on 24/2/1966 age 78

I tried to find birth of Charlotte Jeffery c1903 Plymouth Devon (from 1911 census) she married Frank Lomax at Plymouth Jun Q 1922. The only birth I can find is Charlotte Jane Jeffery Mar Q 1904 Devonport.

If I got in touch with Plymouth Registry Office and gave the information on her parents that I know, which is her Father was Thomas Jeffery and Mother was Sarah would I get charged. I know if I do it through GRO I would get charged £4 administration even if its the wrong certificate.

Or can anyone help find the birth.

Christine

Thomasin

Have you seen the Sarah Elizabeth Jeffery who was born Mar Q 1885, Barnstaple district, which covers Ilfracombe, 5b 451?

Thomasin

Keyboard86

Smile Jeffreys family

Possible thread in my family due to connection in Worle ? I think is in Somerset will keep in touch.
    Regards
    Keyboard86

Nicolina

the nearest that I can find on the 1891 Census is:
    RG12/1713/15 Page 24
    Cottage, Plymouth Road, South Brent
    JEFFERY, Thomas Head b. 1863 in Dorset occ: Plate Tunnel Miner
    JEFFERY, Susan Wife b. 1865 in Brixham, Devon
    JEFFERY, Allice Daughter b. 1885 in Exeter, Devon
    JEFFERY, William Son b. 1888 in Tavistock, Devon
    JEFFERY, Sarah M Daughter b. 1890 in Mole, Devon
    JEFFERY, William Father Widower b. 1821 in Mole, Devon occ: Plate Tunnel Miner
    this kinda fits with the 1901 Census:
    RG13/2112/68 Page 23
    15 Hawthorne Grove, Devonport, Devon
    Thomas W Jeffery abt 1867 Bridport, Gloucestershire, Head
    Sarah Jeffery abt 1867 Exeter, Devon, Wife
    Alice Jeffery b. abt 1884 Exeter, Devon, Daughter
    William Jeffery abt 1886 Tavistock, Devon, Son
    Sarah Jeffery abt 1887 Ilfracombe, Devon, Daughter
    Nellie Jeffery abt 1890 Exeter, Devon, Daughter
    Susan Jeffery abt 1893 Bristol, Somerset, Daughter
    Thomas Jeffery abt 1896 Plymouth, Devon, Son
    Mary Jeffery abt 1900 Stonehouse, Devon, Daughter
    William Jeffery abt 1822 Bridgeport, Gloucestershire, Father

Thomas' occupation looks like "Extension Navvy" and for son William & father William it looks like a 2.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Is the information given on both her marriages, regarding her father and his occupation, consistent? Seems she fiddled with her age, or did not really know how old she was.

Have you been able to find her with her family before her marriage? Parents are more likely to give an accurate birth place in the census and the earlier the census the more likely the age as well.
    ChristineR

custard_pot

Yes I have seen the birth for Sarah Elizabeth Jeffery 1885, I have 2 problems with this, the middle name which is not on anything else and the year as even though I have different years of birth for her that does not correspond with any of the certificates I have. Marriage 1 in 1911 she was 22 so year of birth 1889, Marriage 2 in 1916 she was 25 so year of birth 1891, Death in 1966 she was 78 so year of birth 1888.

Yes I have the 1891, 1901 census from different websites and on a couple the Bridport/Bridgeport Glocestershire is cossed out and Dorset is put on.

The Fathers occupation on her first marriage is Foreman in Dockyard and is same on second only it HM Dockyard.

Christine

Nicolina

it might be an idea to see what work was being done to the Dockyard at that time.
    Plate Tunnel Miner seems strange to me, but that is what it reads as, on the Census. Extension Navvy could mean that he was working (manually) on an extension to the Dockyard.

custard_pot

In 1891 they were in South Brent Nr Totness when he was a Plate Tunnel Miner. Extension Navvy I have been told is another name for labourer in such places as dockyard.

Christine

Nicolina

Christine, I have just Googled Devonport Dockyard and might have an idea now what a Plate Tunnel Miner might have been.
    Check out: battleships-cruisers.co.uk/devonport_dockyard.htm
    It mentions "by a tunnel and railway through the hill".
    Last edited by MarkJ; 28-07-2009 at 1:11 AM. Reason: Link edited - adverts. Please place www. at front of address to visit.

custard_pot

I sent for the certificate for Sarah Elizabeth Jeffery Mar Q 1885 Barnstaple from GRO and just had an email saying they have not issued it because the parents are not Thomas & Sarah.

So it looks like back to square 1

Christine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast