Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    amanda77

Default STEVENSON -Minnigaff

Looking for details of Andrew STEVENSON's birth.

He shows on 1851 census born in Minnigaff. He married Janet MORRISON 1839 in Penninghame , Wigtown. Janet was from Sorbie.

I have not managed to find anything of his parents names, siblings or date of birth or death.

I know Andrew died before 1881 census was taken.

Can anyone help?
    Regards
    Amanda

David Sherriff

Where have you looked so far?

amanda77

Hi David,

Have searched IGI, also looked scotlands people website and can't find anything there either.

I have found details for their children and managed to get a bit on Janet but Andrew seems to be a bit more difficult so far.

Thanks for the response

Regards
    amanda

David Sherriff

Was Janet Stevenson a widow in 1881, and was she still living in Scotland? If so, I would still expect Andrew's death in Scotland. Have you checked for different spellings of Stevenson? When searching the records in Edinburgh, the computer search only brings up the exact transcribed spelling of the name. It is not too far from Wigtown to the Scottish border, and he might have died in England.

amanda77

Hi David,

You are right, Janet was a widow on 1881 census living with her granddaughter.
    Didn't check variations for spelling. I assumed that Andrew was still living in scotland at the time of his death as his wife was still living in the same area as they lived 1861 census.

Haben't managed to find a death record yet though.
    Would a death record give his parents names too?

Regards

Amanda

David Sherriff

Yes. The death certificates for Scotland after 1855, give name of father,and his profession, and if dead or alive; and the name of his mother as well as her maiden name. There will also be the name and signature and relationship of the informant.
    In addition, on some early certificates, the registrar had also stated where the person was buried, and given the names of all the children, and their ages at that time.

amanda77

Thanks for the information David. Still don't seem to be able to track down a death cert yet though. Very frustrating.
    Will plough on.

Regards
    Amanda

You may have to try any likely looking candidate - one of my multi-greats only turned up when I founght my way through a collection of Robertson death certs because he was actually staying at the house of one of his children when he died, on the other side of the county! I only identified him because it gave his wife's name and I recognised the anme and residence of the son who registered the death.
    If you have a LDS centre near you, get them to get you the films of the 1861 and 1871 - if you know which decade he died in, that cuts down a lot of the searching.
    If you're in the UK, the simplest (and possibly cheapest) answer might be to treat yourself to a day in Edinburgh!
    Lesley

amanda77

Thanks for that Lesley,

Not a bad idea,going to Edinburgh. Has anyone else done this? Was it much help? How informed would i need to be. Seems a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack at times!!

Regards

Amanda

I spend at least a week in New Register House each year - since I'm living in the Netherlands right now, it has to be part of my holiday. You won't believe how much info you can accumulate, but you don't need to be very well informed at the start (although the more preparation you can do, the better things will go). On my first visit, before they even had computers, just fiche and film readers, I turned up with a photo of my grandfather and his family, the name of the village and a rough date since one gUncle was in the pic in Black Watch uniform and he died in the Boer war. In one afternoon, I found the family and pushed the search back 3 generations! As Robertson is in the top 10 most common scottish surnames, I suspect that I'd never have found that death if I hadn't been able to just sit at one of their terminals and check one ofter another - I must have looked at at least 20 of them

These days, I'll decide what I want to look for the night before, spend the time in NRH grabbing as much data as I can, and then spend that evening sorting it out and planning the next day. I'm doing a 1-place study on a small parish, and last year managed to transcribe a whole census dataset on each day I was there!

You pay a flat rate per day, and this give you unlimited access to all BMDs they have on fiche (there's roughly a year's lag while they accumulate enough message=I spend at least a week in New Register House each year - since I'm living in the Netherlands right now, it has to be part of my holiday. You won't believe how much info you can accumulate, but you don't need to be very well informed at the start (although the more preparation you can do, the better things will go). On my first visit, before they even had computers, just fiche and film readers, I turned up with a photo of my grandfather and his family, the name of the village and a rough date since one gUncle was in the pic in Black Watch uniform and he died in the Boer war. In one afternoon, I found the family and pushed the search back 3 generations! As Robertson is in the top 10 most common scottish surnames, I suspect that I'd never have found that death if I hadn't been able to just sit at one of their terminals and check one ofter another - I must have looked at at least 20 of them

These days, I'll decide what I want to look for the night before, spend the time in NRH grabbing as much data as I can, and then spend that evening sorting it out and planning the next day. I'm doing a 1-place study on a small parish, and last year managed to transcribe a whole census dataset on each day I was there!

When you've exhausted NRH, there's also the National Archives next door. They have part of their catalogue on line, but you do have to visit to see material..... Or buy photocopies.
    And when they throw you out at the end of the day, nip up the hill to the Scottish Genealogy Society book shop - collections of MIs, and all sorts of goodies.

As I normally go in the summer, I find it convenient to stay in the Hall of Residence belonging to the University of Edinburgh - it's very basic single rooms, but they do have monitored car parking (I park the car on arrival and don't use it again until I check out). If you decide to go during the Festival weeks, reserve a place as they can get very busy.
    Lesley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast