lauraloulou17

Question Douglas/Bate family

Hi,
    I don't know if anyone will be able to help me - I am trying to trace my family tree for my mum. So far I haven't got very far. The information I have is as follows:

George Bate b. 28.09.1905 - birth registered in Wolverhampton- my great grandfather - d. October 1988 Bedford hospital
    Gertrude Rosetta Douglas b. 04.03.1907 - birth registered in Hardingstone, Northamptonshire - my great grandmother - d. March 1994 in Norfolk
    According to my grandmother they were married in Northampton on 25.12.1928 - she belives this to be correct as it would have been their 60th wedding anniversary in the year that George died.
    I have managed to find birth and death details for each of them on the Ancestry website but at present cannot trace the marriage. It seems odd to me that they would be married on Christmas day but my gran swears blind that's what the certificate said. All certificates have since vanished.
    If I could find any trace for either George or Gertrude going back to their parent's names. etc. I would be over the moon.
    George had 3 brothers - William b. 1907, Fred and Albert (birth dates unknown). His father re-married at some point - we're not sure why - and he and his new wife had another child who was half-brother to George, William, Fred and Albert - his name was Sid.
    George and Gertrude (known as Rose) moved to Sandy, Bedfordshire where George ran a taxi service "G. Bate & Sons" from his home in Kings Road, they had 3 children - Philip 1929, John 1934 and Doreen Anne (my grandmother) 1939.
    If anyone has any info I would love to hear from you.
    Thanks
    Laura
    Last edited by lauraloulou17; 12-03-2005 at 3:10 PM.