andrewwebb

Default GREENLANDS:Frome

My GGGrandfather, Thomas Francis GREENLAND was born in Frome in 1828 and married Mary Ann MOODEY in 1851 at Frome Parish Church. They later moved to Box in Wiltshire where my GGrandfather George Flower GREENLAND was born in 1861.

Thomas F was a stonemason and by the time of the 1881 census he was living in London(still there in 1901). George Flower joined the navy in the 1870s and married at Portsmouth in 1883 to Sarah GROSSER.

Thomas F's parents were James and Lucy GREENLAND. There is, on IGI records and in the 1851 census for Frome, a 'Flower GREENLAND' who I think is probably the grandfather of Thomas Francis, but I cannot confirm this as yet. The name 'Flower' could be a mother's maiden name carried through the family as a witness of Thomas Francis' marriage in 1851 was 'Willam Flower GREENLAND' and also one of George Flower's sons had it as a second christian name.

Has any researcher come across this family in Frome. ??

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Greenlands in Box Wilts

Hi I have only just found this site, my family of Simpkins were also from Box, g granddad Henry Simpkins married Ann Z Greenland in 1919 (2nd marriages), daughter Lucy Ellen Greenland from Ann's 1st marriage married granddad's brother Frederick in 1917 they did have one daugher but she married and moved north this was from a Greenland's relative, I am trying to find her family. Have you found any Greelands down there I am sure if you wrote to them they would be pleased to hear, we did have a reply from one which the letter we wrote was passed on to her.

Would be interested to hear from you

Irene

andrewwebb

Default GREENLANDS: Frome to Box

Irene,

Thanks for your message.

My Greenland ancestors had moved from Box to Potterne, also in Wiltshire,by the time of the 1871 census. In 1881 the family had moved to Middlesex and were still resident there in 1901. There seems to be a number of Greenland families in various Wiltshire locations throughout the latter half of the 19th century. Some of the children of Thomas Francis Greenland stayed in the Box area as they appear in the 1901 census there. I visited Box some years ago and in the Parish Church found some references to Greenlands.

I am not sure if your Ann Z Greenland is connected to my line at the moment, but I am currently trying to piece together a wider 'tree' to see how many of the Greenlands from Somerset are connected elsewhere.

I have also been in contact with a researcher in Australia who is also looking at these families.

Andrew.

Default Greenlands of Box

Hi Andrew

Sorry I haven't been back to you before. The Greenland are related to my Simpkins via Lucy Ellen born 1895 to Harry William Greenland and Ann Zebudah nee Hunt.

Harry William is the son of Thomas Francis and Mary Ann christened 24.9.1857 in Box.

I do have the christenings and burials if you would like me to send you the list of Greenlands, I typed them in Excel but I have not check them yet.
    Christenings 1834-1871
    Burials Box Cemetery 1858-1890

Irene

andrewwebb

Default Greenlands

Irene,

Sorry not to reply sooner. Yes I would be interested to see the christenings and burials you have for Box Greenlands.

Thanks
    Andrew

Default Burials for Greenlands in Box

There is only one burial in the Cemetery 1858-1890

Greenland Thomas Francis Child 3yr 10mths Box 22 October 1884

The christenings I have only done 1834-1870's

Greenland John Nath* Thomas Francis Mary Ann 10 April 1853 Box Stonemason
    Greenland Harry William Thomas Francis Mary Ann 11 Janurary 1857 Box Stonemason
    Greenland Alice Matilda Thomas Francis Mary Ann 8 May 1859 Box Inn Keeper
    Greenland Tom Frances Thomas Francis Mary Ann 9 September 1860 Box Mason
    Greenland Eliza Ann Thomas Francis Mary Ann 9 July 1865 Box Innkeeper
    Greenland Albert Edward Thomas Francis Mary Ann 9 September 1866 Box Innkeeper
    Greenland George Flower Thomas Francis Maryanne 9 February 1862 Box Mason
    Greenland Lucy Sophia Thomas Francis Maryanne 10 Janurary 1864 Lanch Inn Box Innkeeper

I will email you.
    Irene

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default West Country Greenlands

Hi Andrew & Irene,

I am a newcomer to this game and have only just discovered your exchanges. My great grandfather was Thomas Francis Greenland, and I would appreciate the chance to compare notes.

kiwipom

Ken
    There was an extensive Greenland family at Buckland Dinham, which is about 3miles from Frome. So there may be some interest for you there. I have a loose connection to the family, who are also spread to Hullavington Wilts and to Byard who ended up near Perth Australia courtesy of His Majesty.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Kiwipom,
    Thanks for your response! I have quite a bit about Byard and Uriah, but would dearly like to know more about Byard's life and descendants in Australia. Would you like to correspond? You can reach me at valkyriesAThorizonDOTcoDOTfk
    Regards,
    Ken
    Last edited by christanel; 29-01-2019 at 6:53 PM. Reason: email disguised to deter spam