Thread: James Scott

Jean_Kleinhans

Default James Scott

Looking for information on James Scott born ?Aug 1820 to William Scott and Catherine ?surname. James joined the Scottish Engineer Royal Corp of Sapper and Miners and after spending sometime in Woolwich and Chatham was posted to South Africa in 1842 as a Private 2nd Class, 10th Company.
    Any information on this family would be greatly appreciated.
    Jean.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Jean, do you have any idea where William & Catherine were born? or any census info. other than for James? Any more other than the Army info you posted?

Difficult to find Parental info without more to got on. Possibles in later English censuses but needs more input, perhaps of his children? or Siblings?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Jean_Kleinhans

Default James Scott

Only last night, following a link from the B-G Military forum was I at last able to know how to check the TNA & got the following information on a James Scott:
    WO97/896/153 - James Scott born Edinburgh, Midlothian, served in 79th Foot Regiment; Fist Foot Regiment Discharged aged 39.
    The only possible census trace was SCT1841/677 Place:Colinton-Midlothian Address: Redford Gate. It states the following:
    Scott - William M age 65 Gardener/Journeyman Born outside of Census County (1841)
    Scott - Helen F age 40 No occupation Born Midlothian
    Scott - James M Age 20 Gardener Journeyman Born Midlothian
    Scott Archibald M age 2 Born Midlothian.
    As the census was in July1841 and James born Aug 1820 this makes it a posssiblity, Also William & Helen Parry were married in 1838 [IGI record].
    It does look as if James was an only child of William & Catherine.
    The 1851 census shows Helen Scott as a widow.
    I live in South Africa, so visiting TNA is unfortunately not an option, likewise our exchange rate is not condusive to speculatory searches.
    Thank you for your help and interest.
    Jean.

Hi Jean, I'm sorry to say I allowed James Scott to lead me astray several times as it's a well used name. Did his Army papers give n.o.Kin or say whether he was married or not? Even his demob. area would help. There are a few in English censuses (B.Scotland) but difficult without more info.

I had hoped that some-one with an eagle eye would spot something for you, it still may happen. Hover in there.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Forgot to add:.. 2 marriages for William & Catharine on IGI

Catherine Margaret McNaughton Dec. 1816 Ed'burgh
    Catharine WATT St. Cuthberts Ed'butgh Nov.1816.

I tried Scotlandspeople found 3 but no credits there so unable to get details, sorry.
    Happy Families
    Wendy