Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi I've just joined too as came across this thread doing a google search on Thomas Lacey Lawson. It was funny reading back over the thread as I recognise the names of contributors way back, including my mum.
    Winifred Lawson was married to my great grandfather Thomas Field. She went on to marry 2 other men while he was in prison. They were all living concurrently and there were no divorces. In fact her mother Catherine Lawson put a notice in the newspaper the Bunyip and
    "WHEREAS I am informed that my
    Daughter WINIFRED FIELD, wife
    of THOMAS FIELD, at present a prisoner of
    the Crown, is about to contract a THIRD
    marriage with a person in this neighbourhood,
    who is aware that she is a married woman, I
    herebv warn all parties officially authorised to
    solemnize marriage, that the proposed THIRD
    marriage of my daughter Winifred would be an
    illegal act on the part of such official or
    minister of religion, and as such, would render
    him and all parties connected therewith, liable
    to prosecution.
    CATHERINE LAWS0N.
    Gawler, Friday, September 22, 1871" Bunyip (Gawler, SA : 1863 - 1954) Sat 30 Sep 1871

The notice appeared in September and October and in the following February 1872 she married Nathaniel Woolford
    Catherine's suicide was in April. No doubt Winifred's marital arrangements did little to settle her mind

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Mandy
    Thank you for posting all the extra information for Catherine and her daughter Winifred. An interesting but very sad story. Others in the future may find this thread when like you, they are searching the internet for that elusive information to untangle this Winifred's relationships.
    You and Bwoolford may like to compare the information you both have and if you want to do it off line you can use the Private Message system by clicking on the others user name and from the drop down menu click on Private Message.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456