Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    JohnF

Default Sad end with no beginning

Where did she come from and when and why? - this dear lady who, according to the inquest, drowned herself in the Australian North Para river. How did they know enough to insert the word "herself"?

Well it wasn't her husband!

Ok, the story goes (sounds familiar, eh?) like this:-
    According to the records Catherine Constant-Smith was born in 1822 in Ireland. (somewhere, somehow)
    Maybe she was left (later on of course!) with a child from a previous marriage (is this true?) but a certain Captain Thomas Lacy (Lacey) Lawson apparetly felt sorry (or summat else maybe even ) for this poor wretched girl, so he married her.
    There were nearly 20 years age difference between the 2 of them.
    The marriage took place in NZ (how they got there and when is anyone's guess)
    Some time later they moved together to Australia (Why? Where?)

As you can see I know nothing!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I wonder if your Thomas Lacey Lawson is thesame one who as Thomas Lasey Lawson was the Father of James Lacey Lawson 21 who married Louisa Gangell 21 F. John Gangell in St.Georges Church Gawler Sth.Australia?

Also the Thomas Lasey Lawson who married Rosa Anne Curtis 23 F. John Curtis in St. Barnabas' Church Clare. Sth.Aust?
    Chidren born to them: were Elibra Ann 3rd Mar.1885, Elizabeth Clara 10th Oct.1881 + John James 3rd April 1883.
    This after the recorded death of Catherine 3rd April 1872 Gawler age 50.

could be continued....
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

JohnF

Yes maye it was/they were! Please continue - maybe in a PM to save destroying the scent for the other Sherlock Holmses
    Many thanks
    John

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hmmm!, thusly understood, p'raps some-one with NZ input could step in here for the marriage? Didn't find them in passenger lists yet.

I don't have a lot more, only from S.A. BMDs; will pm it on.

There have been several N.Z. posts for records recently. Perhaps you can nudge one?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

JohnF

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Hmmm!, thusly understood, p'raps some-one with NZ input could step in here for the marriage? Didn't find them in passenger lists yet.

I don't have a lot more, only from S.A. BMDs; will pm it on.

There have been several N.Z. posts for records recently. Perhaps you can nudge one?
    Thanks for the great info and if any of you kind folk have info on Catherine's origins, marriage etc that would be cream on the cake, rather than my just sitting here
    Many thanks
    John

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Some time later they moved together to Australia (Why? Where?)

As you can see I know nothing!
    The online data base for www.
    familyhistorysa.info/" contains this:

LAWSON Thomas (Lacey?), wife (Mrs Cath Constance SMITH?) arrived 1844-09-17 on Emma (2) from Sydney [Source:6,7]

The www.
    records.nsw.gov.au/"]NSW State Records migration records an arrival which may be them:

Name: LAWSON Mr, Mrs Ship: Star of China Status: P Date 27 July 1844 Departed: Wellington, Pt Nelson Reel: 1271

This message

"Thomas Lawson Lacey or Thomas Lacey Lawson. Don't know when he arrived in New Zealand. Thomas Lawson Lacey married Catherine Constant Smith in May 1842 (widow with 2 girls). By 1844 was in South Australia. In South Australia he was known as Thomas Lacey Lawson."

is on the NZ Bound forum here:

https://
    resources.rootsweb.com/~guestbook/cgi-bin/public_guestbook.cgi?gb=950&action=view

Gives you some more options!

Dale

Procat

Well found Dale.

And another one:

"Date Posted:22-02-2009 17:00 PM)
    Hoping someone can help with a few pieces of the jigsaw, especially the Thomas Lacey junior family. Many of the families seem to have spread throughout AUSTRALIA.

Thomas Lacey LAWSON bc.1801 IRELAND married Catherine Constance SMITH (bc.1819 RUGBY, WARWICKSHIRE, ENGLAND) on 27 May 1842 in AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND, they are thought to have arrived in SOUTH AUSTRALIA about 1844.
    SMITH was probably not Catherine's maiden name as her first husband George died on the ship Mary Ann 1842 on route to NEW ZEALAND.
    Thomas Lacey LAWSON died 19 Jul 1859 at COCKATOO VALLEY, SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
    Catherine Constance LAWSON died 3 Apr 1872 NORTH PARA RIVER, SOUTH AUSTRALIA.

None of their children's births were registered in SOUTH AUSTRALIA - there are marriage records for all
    I would appreciate it if anyone has information on the following births (though they may not have been registered):
    Mary Anne LAWSON born about 1847
    Ann Cecelia LAWSON born about 1848
    Penelope LAWSON born about 1849
    Winifred LAWSON born about 1851
    Emma LAWSON born about 1855
    Thomas Lacey LAWSON born about 1857 married Rosa Alice CURTIS (b.1861 CLARE, S.A. to John CORTIS(sic) & Elizabeth Ann DAVIS) in 1880 at CLARE, S.A.
    I have no other information on them or their children but they are of particular interest:
    Elizabeth Clara LAWSON b.1881 in the HUNDRED OF CAVINAGH, S.A.
    John James LAWSON b.1883 in WILLIAMSTOWN, S.A.
    Elibra Ann LAWSON b.1855 AMYTON, S.A.
    James Lacey LAWSON born about 1859 "

This message is on:
    https://
    unclosetedskeletonscloset.aimoo.com/categroy/Topic-1-1380196.html#NickName_3298497

which is a permissions limited forum to which I do not belong.

Didn't take the resourceful Catherine long to find a new husband did it?

Dale again

JohnF

BRILLIANT STUNNING

As you can see I arose at 4 am to see if any progress AND THERE WAS!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast