rhi-1985

Default Adoption Pre 1900

Hi. Can anyone help me? My Great Great Grandfather was adopted. His name was Frederick William (Haines - adopted surname). He was born in 1873 in London and was adopted by John and Jane Haines. They later moved to Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Can anyone advise me how to find Fredericks birth parents.

Hugh Thompson

Hi Rhi, I think the National Archives would be the place to go, address is,

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

Hugh.

Jan1954

Hi there,

Prior to the 1926 Adoption Act such things as adoption arrangements were usually quite informal.

Have a read of this thread, especially the information that Maximilian posted at #10.

Reputation beyond repute

You say "they later moved to Cheltenham".

But this is surely the family at the Marlborough Arms in Cheltenham in the 1881 census. The 1871 census also shows John and Jane at the Marlborough Arms. So are you saying that you have evidence that they were elsewhere in the intervening period?

John and Jane must surely be this couple -

Marriages Mar 1864

Haines John Cheltenham 6a 565
    Keen Jane Cheltenham 6a 565

With them in 1871 is an 11 year old sister-in-law Sarah Ann KEEN

In 1873 there are births in London of:

Births Sep 1873

Keen Frederick William Marylebone 1a 558
    Keen Frederick William P Hackney 1b 420

Queen Charlotte's Lying-in Hospital (friendly to unmarried mothers) was in Marylebone.

Oh dear, I think my suspicious mind is running away with me

rhi-1985

Hi Peter.

Thanks for the message. (They later moved to Cheltenham) I meant when they adopted Frederick Haines. Yes he was adopted by John & Jane Haines.

Births Sep 1873

Keen Frederick William Marylebone 1a 558
    Keen Frederick William P Hackney 1b 420

Jane's maiden name was Keen so do you think she would have called Frederick - Keen Frederick Haines.

If I was to order the Birth records of Frederick would his birth mother be on his birth records. My Grandmother is so fascinated that her maiden name was an adoption surname of her grandfather.

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by rhi-1985 View Post
    If I was to order the Birth records of Frederick would his birth mother be on his birth records. My Grandmother is so fascinated that her maiden name was an adoption surname of her grandfather.
    Certainly should be.

Reputation beyond repute

rhi:

I'm afraid I didn't understand all of your message. I was suggesting that the child who became known as Frederick William HAINES was born as Frederick William KEEN. The underlying assumption here is that the child was born to one of Jane's unmarried sisters.

If you think that's a possibility, I would recommend ordering certificates for both the Marylebone and Hackney registrations. I'm sure you understand the risk that it might be money down the pan but you have to take a bit of a gamble occasionally in this game.