Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Seeking books on Victorians/London or both.

I am running out of reading material on my two favourite topics, London (especially south London) and Victorian history.

Can anyone recommend any books on one or the combined subjects please? Maybe Ackroyd's "London, the Biography", has said it all but I am happy to disprove this idea.

Thanks!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

More than enough to keep you going

Can I add Jerry White's London in the 19th Century (paperback, Vintage Books, 2008). Longish, but a brilliant read. Good for train journeys

Kerrywood

Mutley

I love the online site victorianlondon.org. I have found several references to incidents very similar to those my ancestors were involved in.

I am not sure that it is produced in a book yet but I know that there is a CD available.

P.S. It is in book form, 'A Dictionary of Victorian London'

Goodness, I shall be in my element with that lot! I won't get much else done but I'll certainly be contented.

Thank you one and all, I shall be book-buying tomorrow morning!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Can you save some time for us & still be contented Spangle?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Jan1954

If ever I run out of reading matter, my first stop is Parish Chest's Bookshop.

Both my father and brother have a list of titles in which I am interested, which they hold ready for Christmas and birthday time.

Next on my list is "Happy Homes and How to Make Them" by J. W. Kirton, which looks to be a really good insight into Victorian social history.

Loves to help with queries.

I can also recommend any of the works of Elizabeth Gaskell, particulaly Mary Barton and Ruth, all still widely available. Although fiction, they give really good descriptions of social conditions of the time. Personnally, I find then more readable than Dickens.

For non-fiction, try Tristram Hunt's Building Jerusalem (all about the development of the Victorian City); Asa Briggs 3 books, Victorian Cities, Victorian People and Victorian Things; and AN Wilson's The Victorians. I have a long reading list from when I did modules on The Victorian Countyside and The Victorian City for my degree. The lists cover all sorts of topics, such as public health, housing, political reform, prostitution, religion etc., etc., so if there are any specific subjects you are interested in I can probably suggest something.

Ann

A fountain of knowledge

Thornbury & Walford's multivolume "Old and New London" was published in weekly parts by Cassell in 1878, with a revised edition about 15 years later. The first edition can be read at the British History Online website (Google for "old and new london walford", without the quotes).

An interesting little book of "factoids" is Dickens's Dictionary of London, which was published annually from 1879 to at least 1907. The 1879 edition is downloadable (Google for "dickens directory of london"). The 1880 one is available as a modern reprint.

I've so far got through Lisa Picards excellent book and have just read one on the Victorian house (name and title escapes me at present, sorry!). That latter describes everything from visiting etiquette to washing practices... that's what I love about the Victorians, so close that many of us knew someone born in those times and you feel you can almost touch them but so remote from our own existances.

I should be reading more and used to be able to read a book a day easily but so often find that by the time the children are in bed I am too damn tired to concentrate. Mayhew is next on my list, to be bought when I go into town on Saturday. I can't see much housewoork getting done this weekend but who cares!

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

I have Lisa Picards book as well as Jack The Ripper and The East End, plus Mapping London which has many Victorian London maps.

Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast