lorraine66

Default ag labourer cockhall edlingham northumberland

does anyone know of a site that has images of cockhall in northumberland please my ancestor william landers was born there been trying to trace his roots thanks

Reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you don't mean Eglingham?

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...9488&A=Y&Z=120

lorraine66

Default eglingham not edlingham

yes my mistake sorry

lorraine66

Default street map

Thank you so much for taking the time to look this up for me that's brilliant.

lorraine

Reputation beyond repute

In the 1881 census, Ancestry have also managed to confuse Eglingham and Edlingham. But what's new?

golly21

Default Golly 21

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Are you sure you don't mean Eglingham?

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...9488&A=Y&Z=120
    Edlingham and eglingham are only 2 miles apart and in the same overall parish. Eglingham is now larger but in much earliier times Edlingham sported a substantial castle and their church was the the more important of the two. Therefore in various census many of my relatives are variously described as being born in either Eglingham or Edlingham and both are strictly speaking correct. Also as Ag labs they moved around the parish frequently depending upon the seasons living on small farms at some times of the year nearer to one place than the other. Also most of the workers were presb. so were christened at Branton Pres Church towards Ingram. Confusingly there is a village called Brandon less than a mile from Branton, just to make the our searches even more interesting!