Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    sueannbowen

Cool! It is called 'Examples of English Handwriting 1150 - 1750 by Hilda E.P. Grieve. ISBN number is 0 900360 313 it is an Essex Record Office Publication. Bascially she gives examples of old handwriting and then a transcription, all taken from Essex documents. It demonstrates the style which can be jolly handy! Probably got it from the Essex Records Office.

Sue
    ps I agree with Pottoka's 'immediately'.

terrysfamily

for more info on his will see

https://www.constitution.org/sech/sech_076.txt

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    WILL OF HENRY VIII (1546)[1]
    Henry R. In the name of God and of the glorious and blessed Virgin, our Lady

Saint Mary, and of all the holy company of heaven, we, Henry, by the grace

of God king of England, France, and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, and in

earth immediately under God the supreme head of the Church of England and

Ireland, of that name the eighth, calling to our remembrance the great gifts

and benefits of Almighty God given to us in this transitory life, give unto

Him our most lowly and humble thanks, acknowledging ourself insufficient in

any part to deserve or recompense the same, but fear that we have not

worthily received the same....
    Thank you terrysfamily, that's more or less what I had transcribed. I'm trying to avoid looking at the official version until I've finished it myself and can then see if I've got it right! All part of the fun!

At least, if this is the official transcript, it's solved the "earth" problem, so thank you!

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by sueannbowen View Post
    Cool! It is called 'Examples of English Handwriting 1150 - 1750 by Hilda E.P. Grieve. ISBN number is 0 900360 313 it is an Essex Record Office Publication. Bascially she gives examples of old handwriting and then a transcription, all taken from Essex documents. It demonstrates the style which can be jolly handy! Probably got it from the Essex Records Office.

Sue
    ps I agree with Pottoka's 'immediately'.
    Well I think I'll have to try to get hold of one of those, as it sounds fantastic in its own right, not just to help me with this. Thanks Sue!

Edit - PS I'm off to bed now, so sorry if I don't ymmedyately reply to anyone else! J x

pottoka

Wink in/on

I definitely think it's "in" earth.

If you think of the Lord's Prayer, there are both versions in that: "in earth as in heaven", and "on earth as in heaven", depending on the church you attend. Or, in my case, the rules of English grammar and simple logic as set down by one of the teachers at my primary (church) school who decreed that we can only walk on the earth.

Jan65

Thank you Finbar, for the link - will be exploring this in the next few days when I have time to browse, and Pottoka for your help and suggestions. It does seem as though it's "in earth" although I would say that grammatically that's not really correct (perhaps we shared the same English teacher?!) Not being a particularly religious person I had to recite the whole Lords Prayer to myself before being able to say that I was taught "on earth as it is in heaven".

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Janice Gibson
    It does seem as though it's "in earth" although I would say that grammatically that's not really correct
    What is correct now may not have been a matter of concern 400 years ago. In order to interpret (and understand) the writing in these older documents it is important to avoid preconceptions as to what is right or wrong.

JAP1

Here's a reference which mostly gives in/yn earth/earthe/yearth but also has on earth ...

https://www.jfrankhenderson.com/pdf/sovereignpope.pdf

JAP

Jan65

Thank you Geoffers and Jap1, for your help. Very interesting to see "in earth" as well as "on earth". Janice

Titanicfan

Hi Janice,

I'm very impressed and interested with your transcriptions of Henry VIII's will. I mentioned previously that I was really interested in transcribing Elizabeth I's will and I contacted the Royal Archives, British Library and The National Archives to try to locate a possible will but unfortunately I have had an email reply back from the Curator of Medieval and Earlier Manuscripts at the British Library who says that he has been unable to discover any reference to Elizabeth's will, and can only conclude that one was never drawn up. This is in line with her views on the succession, on which she seems never to have declared an official interest. No will survives at either the British Library or The National Archives.

Such a shame - although Elizabeth has written plenty of other correspondence that I could try to obtain a copy of and attempt to transcribe I suppose. Maybe David Starkey would know more as he seems to be an expert on the Tudors?

Keep up the good work, Janice - I eagerly await more details.
    Last edited by Titanicfan; 26-06-2009 at 1:45 PM. Reason: Added info.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast