Jan65

Default Help with getting an extract of a document into my post

Hi all

I would like to post an extract of an old document into a post so that I could ask for help with the handwriting.

Previously I've managed to post photos using photobucket, but this extract isn't exactly a photo - the document is a will from TNA and was made available for my download after I'd purchased it. I then saved it to my computer as a pdf file.

As I don't want to post the whole document because of copyright, not to mention the sheer size of it, etc., but just a small extract, I'm not sure how to do this. When I copy the line that I want to post, and then save it into a word document (the only way I know how to do it), photobucket doesn't seem to recognise this.

Help please?! Thank you!

Peter_uk_can

Print out the page. Scan and save as jpeg. Crop the section you want to attach to post. Save as jpeg and upload to photo bucket.

Jan65

Thank you Peter!

Reputation beyond repute

I don't recommend printing and scanning. This will degrade the image.

In Adobe reader select and copy the bit you want (use the 'marquee' tool) and paste into any graphics program. Then save as jpg using a low compression option.

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I don't recommend printing and scanning. This will degrade the image. In Adobe reader select and copy the bit you want (use the 'marquee' tool) and paste into any graphics program. Then save as jpg using a low compression option.
    I am trying to figure out how to do this Peter, but in the meantime thought I'd better check on the copyright issue. Is it okay for me to post an extract (one line from a will of 27 pages)? I've read the AUP but am still unsure.

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    Hi Janice. The toolbar of Adobe reader should display a camera icon. Click on this, then go to the area of text you want to save, and 'highlight' it by dragging the cursor across it whilst holding your left mouse button down. This will save it to your clipboard. Then paste the image off your clipboard into a graphics photo/editing programme, and save it as a jpeg file.
    Hi Finbar, Thanks for this, I had just figured it out! It wasn't so much the snapshot tool as I am familiar with this, but wasn't sure what a graphics programme is! Hubby tells me to give Paint a go, and that has allowed me to save the image as a jpeg at last. So I think I'm ready to go, but just would like an answer about the copyright issue before going ahead and posting it. I THINK I'm okay with just a small extract, but don't want to get it wrong.

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    Hi Janice. I've recently corresponded with the Area Director's Office of the Probate Registry, re this very thing. From what they told me you should be okay.
    Thank you very much, Finbar, much appreciated! Janice

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Janice Gibson View Post
    I am trying to figure out how to do this Peter, but in the meantime thought I'd better check on the copyright issue. Is it okay for me to post an extract (one line from a will of 27 pages)? I've read the AUP but am still unsure.
    Not a problem at all Janice. That sort of extract is certainly no cause for concern as far as the Mods and Admin are concerned.

Thank you for asking.