Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

As I had found them on FMP, I used the source citation (RG09 ect.) without any surname to locate them on A*.

Jellylegs

pottoka

Default Rachel Sarah Sims

Rachel Sarah Sims died in the last quarter of 1861.

Name: Rachel Sarah Sims
    Year of Registration: 1861
    Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
    District: Poplar (To 1965)
    County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
    Volume: 1c
    Page: 451

This seems to show that the family had not yet moved to Stepney, so it doesn't look as though William Francis Sims belongs to the same family.

Cary Christopher

Default Sims records

Here are a few records from the parish registers for All Saints Church, Poplar (Tower Hamlets):

Name: William Henry
    Date of birth: Sept 25, 1847
    Date of baptism: Oct 24, 1847
    Parents: William & Fanny Sims
    Abode: Poplar
    Profession: Blacksmith

Name: Mary Ann Eliza
    Date of birth: Feb 25, 1846
    Date of baptism: Mar 20, 1846

Name: Fanny
    Date of birth: June 19, 1848
    Date of baptism: July 13, 1849
    Profession: Smith

Name: William John
    Date of birth: Sept 15, 1852
    Date of baptism: Oct 10, 1852
    Profession: Smith

I'll keep looking for some other records on this family for you.

Cary Christopher

Cary Christopher

Default More Sims info

The baptisms of the two children of William & Julia Sims were recorded at St. Anne Church, Limehouse, Tower Hamlets:

Name: Rachel Sarah Sims
    Born: 23 Aug 1858
    Baptism: 24 Apr 1859
    Parents: William & Julia Sims

Name: William Henry Sims
    Born: 25 Nov 1861
    Baptism: 11 Aug 1867 (sic)
    Parents: William & Julia Sims
    Abode: Frederick Street

The 1871 census entry you located for William & Jane Sims would appear to be the correct family. Even though there is no occupation listed for William, the ages of his two unmarried children, Mary Ann (26) and William (10) are both correct as is the place of birth (Poplar).

The 1861 census entry at Poplar, address: 29 Prestage Street North, is also correct:
    William Sims, head (of household), 39, occupation: Smith, born at Poplar, Middlsx.
    Julia Sims, wife, 28, born ditto
    Fanny Sims, daughter, 12, born ditto
    Rachel S. Sims, daughter, 2, born ditto

Living at this address is are some visitors who often turn out to be related somehow:

Mrs. Lanchett, visitor, married, 29, dressmaker, born Poplar, Mddlsx.
    Matilda Lanchett, 5, born Southhampton
    Thomas L. Lanchett, 4, born ditto
    Miles W. Lanchett, 6 months, born Poplar, Middlsx.

I'm still trying to find a marriage of William Sims to either Julia or the later wife, Jane. So far, no luck.

There is an 1857 marriage at Hackney, St. Mark Old Street, Shoreditch, of William Sims, full age, bachelor, chainmaker, resident of this parish, son of William Sims, tea merchant, to Laura Warrington, full age, resident of this parish, daughter of James Warrington; witnesses Mary Thompson and Charles Howard. Just file it for future reference because this is the only William Sims marriage I've found whose occupation even closely resembles blacksmith.

Cary C.

I located the 14 Oct 1844 marriage of William Sims to Fanny James at Saint Mary Stratford Bow (Tower Hamlets) but it appears you already had that information. Here it is anyway:

William Sims, full age, bachelor, profession: smith, residence: Bow, father: William Sims, gent.

Fanny James, full age, spinster, residence: Bow; father: William James, gent.

Witnesses: William Nelson & Mary Ann James

========

deeree

Hello Cary C.

Thanks for finding the family of William and Julia SIMS. You've given me a wealth of information to follow up. The link to the St. Anne's Church in Limehouse is really very useful.

I had thought that I'd found the death of Julia SIMS in Stepney in 1862, but as she was having another William in 1867, that can't have been her.

William SIMS senior seems to have been determined to have a William SIMs to follow him. The young William born in 1867, would have been his 4th son called William.

The marriages of William to his later wives are proving difficult to find. I suppose as he was having his children baptised, he must have been married.

I've always been puzzled by the fact that William who was a blacksmith, said that his father was a gentleman. That must have been big social barrier to cross.

Thanks again for all your help. It's great to get the extra information. I am very grateful.

Cary Christopher

Default Lanchett Family is actually Lanclett

Hi again,

Found the family back in Southampton in the 1871 census. I haven't yet found any connection between the Sims and Lanclett/Wiseman families.

In the 1871 Hampshire census for Saint Mary, Southampton, District 19, page 3, address: 7 Nelson Street:

Rachel Lanclett, head (of household), married, 39, dressmaker, born Middsx, Poplar (with children)
    Matilda J., 15, born Southampton
    Thomas S., 14, ditto
    Miles W., 10, born Mddsx, Poplar (all the above are with the Sims family in the 1861 census)
    Grace A., 5, born Southampton
    John. H., 3, born Southampton (and living with them are)
    Miles Wiseman, father, wid(ower), 72(?), Annuitant, born Norfolk
    Caroline S. Reed, neice, 11, born Southampton
    George Reed, nephew, 7, born ditto

=======

The marriage for Rachel Wiseman to Thomas Samuel Lanclett took place 8 June 1854 at South Stoneham, Hampshire and is recorded in the 2nd quarter, vol. 2c, page 85.

=======

Rachel Wiseman was born 12 Aug 1831 at Poplar, Middlesex to Miles Wiseman (1792-1883) & Caroline Cooper (1797-1865), baptised in 1837 at All Saints Church, Poplar. Caroline Cooper was born 29 Dec 1797 at Southwark, Surrey and married Miles Wiseman 4 June 1815 at St. Saviour's Church, Southwark, Surrey. She died 3 July 1865 at St. Mary's, Southampton.

Perhaps you will be able to make a connection between the two families with this information. There are several relations of these families who have documented their findings online with Ancestry.

Cary C.

deeree

Hello Cary,

I'd previously found a marriage of a William SIMS to a Julia WISEMAN at Southampton in the December quarter 1855 and a tree on A......y has the same pair marrying at Shadwell on 5/11/1855. I'd filed that away as I couldn't make a connection between the families and also Southampton was unlikely.
    However, the connection that you've found means that it looks as though the wife could be Julia WISEMAN.

That's a great piece of information and helps me enormously.

It's a possibility that Rachel and Julia are sisters. Their births are about 2years apart. Your suggestion that the families might be linked was spot-on.

What you've found is very useful information and I am extremely grateful.

Thankyou,
    Desley

Cary Christopher

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by deeree View Post
    Hello Cary,

I'd previously found a marriage of a William SIMS to a Julia WISEMAN at Southampton in the December quarter 1855 and a tree on A......y has the same pair marrying at Shadwell on 5/11/1855. I'd filed that away as I couldn't make a connection between the families and also Southampton was unlikely.
    However, the connection that you've found means that it looks as though the wife could be Julia WISEMAN.

That's a great piece of information and helps me enormously.

It's a possibility that Rachel and Julia are sisters. Their births are about 2years apart. Your suggestion that the families might be linked was spot-on.

What you've found is very useful information and I am extremely grateful.

Thankyou,
    Desley
    Really Desley, I need to thank YOU. Here I thought I'd wasted several hours digging after these Lancletts and Wisemans. I just couldn't make any kind of connection. Your note brought a wonderful sense of relief.

I've often thought it important to look carefully at visitors, lodgers and other families in UK censuses. You just never know if they are extended family.

Thank you for the opportunity to help with your family research.

Cary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12