Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fawcett Mill

safetyman

Default Fawcett Mill

I am seeking information on the Fawcett family who worked Fawcett mill at Gaisgill, Orton, Cumbria. In particular looking for one who left for the west country and joined the marines.
    Any help appreciated.

Astoria

It would appear from a search that Fawcett Mill is now holiday accomodation

From the Whithaven News 30th April 2004

Conversion of existing farm building to holiday accommodation, Fawcett Mill, Gaisgill, Orton, The Operation Ltd.

I can find references to several folk being "of Fawcett Mill" but none are actually called Fawcett, there was also a Fawcett Forest in the area.

Colin Simpson

Default The Fawcett Mill

Quote Originally Posted by safetyman View Post
    I am seeking information on the Fawcett family who worked Fawcett mill at Gaisgill, Orton, Cumbria. In particular looking for one who left for the west country and joined the marines.
    Any help appreciated.
    The Fawcett mill was built by my family, the family Rawes. It was then passed on to my granfather's family of Bowman. My grandfather left with his parents to Barrow,leaving the Mill in the hands of his uncle in the early 1900s. The name Fawcett has nthing to do with any surname. I hope I have heped in somr way
    Colin Simpson

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I am the Mills current owners son. We have the deeds going back to 1705 when it was sold off from Raisgill hall for the first time, it is probably much older as Raisgill hall can be dated back to the 14th century and a mill was essential to an estate. The name, Fawcett maybe a family name, or have some connection with the Fawcett Forest estate.

Please if anyone hear has any information, story's, or old photos of the mill in working order I would love to see them.

Cheers,
    Adam Wallace.

Adam, welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    The first 2 contributers to this thread are no longer BG members, and Colin hasn't been back since he sent the message above. If the email address he used to register with us is still valid, he will have received a message that someone has replied to the thread.

There are a few things that you can try. GENUKI lists local libraries and archives HERE, some of which may be able to help. When I was interested in a mill in Scotland, the local archive provided me with a couple of 19th century postcards showing it as well as a list of all the millers.
    Alternatively, you could investigate the various millers using the census and other genealogical tools. That would at least tell you who was using the place (often a tenant rather than the owner), how many people were involved in the work (assistants, apprentices, etc) as well as how many were living there.

For example,in the 1911 census, Thomas Bowman gives his occupation as farmer & miller. He was born at Fawcett Mill, resident in Gaisill, Tebay, Westmoreland. In 1851 & 1861, Fawcett Mill was enumerated as part of the township of Raisbeck, the head of household was John Bowman, farmer & corn miller. 6 kids, all born Fawcett Mill. there's one other household, an ag lab, wife & 4 kids.

It looks as though the mill wasn't a full time occupation, at least in the 19th century.

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is a description of the Mill on the Historic England site which describes a date stone 1784 with the initials J & E R. This probably refers to the Rawes family mentioned in #3 above.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...-entry/1145429

The Rawes One Name Study has 4 wills (all conveniently transcribed!) relating to Fawcett Mill:

John Rawes 1815
    John Rawes 1834
    Agnes Rawes 1838
    Ann Rawes 1854

the last one bequeathing the Mill to her nephew Thomas Bowman.

https://www.rawes.co.uk/rawes/will.htm

Peter

That nicely explains why Thomas wasn't born at the mill, according to the census!

Colin Simpson

Default The Fawcett mill Orton Cumbria

Some of my ancestry, I'm trying to work out
    Gerard Rawes 1719
    son John Rawes 1739
    daughter Elizabeth Rawes 1772 married John Bowman 1772
    son Thomas Bowman 1792
    son John Bowman 1814-1880
    son William Bowman 1858.... my great grandfather
    son Thomas Edgar Bowman 1895
    daughter Lilian Sarah Bowman (Simpson) 1920-2011 my mum
    then me 1950

The history and antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. By Joseph Nicholson, Esq; and Richard Burn, LL.D. In two volumes...
    Published 1777

Parish of Kendal - Fawcet Forest
    Pursuing our course northwards, we come to Fawcet Forest, at the utmost extremity of the parish towards the east and north. It was anciently called Faufide* and belonged to the abbey of Byland in Yorkshire, having been given thereto by William of Lancastre the first. Burton's Mon. Ebor 332

* -the "f" represents the long "s".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast