Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fawcett Mill

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wallace View Post
    it is probably much older as Raisgill hall can be dated back to the 14th century and a mill was essential to an estate.
    Perhaps an early mention of the mill:

1543 By letters patent dated 16 October, 35th year (1543) Henry VIII granted licence to Sir Richard Riche, knt., lord Riche, and Elizabeth his wife to alienate and grant by fine to Sir William Parre, knight, lord Parre, his manor and lordship of Fawcet alias Fawcet Forest and 10 messuages, 6 cottages, 2 watermills, 12 gardens, 500 a. land, 200 a. meadow, 500 a. pasture, 100 a. wood. 1000 a. heath and gorse and 100s. of rent in Fawcett alias Fawcett Forest, Bannandesdale, Bannandesdalehed, Boroughdale, Borughdalehedde and Capull &c. Reg. of D. at Levens; Letters and Papers, Hen. VIII, xviii, pt. ii, 185; Feet of Fines, Mich. term, 35 Hen. VIII.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/ken...pp231-238#fnn4

Peter

Colin Simpson

the stone J & E R John Bowman & Elizabeth Rawes ? The time could be slightly out.. my dates on their births were a guess as I tried to find their proper birhdates.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The history and antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. By Joseph Nicholson, Esq; and Richard Burn, LL.D. In two volumes...
    Published 1777

Parish of Kendal - Fawcet Forest
    Pursuing our course northwards, we come to Fawcet Forest, at the utmost extremity of the parish towards the east and north. It was anciently called Faufide* and belonged to the abbey of Byland in Yorkshire, having been given thereto by William of Lancastre the first. Burton's Mon. Ebor 332

* -the "f" represents the long "s".
    In the deeds to the property their is an old map from 1770, Using the name "Facet Mill", from Old English fah 'side', ‘slope’, or ‘hillside’. So like Fawcett Forest it is a descriptive name, the forest being positioned on the side of a hill. So it is possible that this is the only connection between the names. Fawcett Mill could have been called Bank or Beck mill. Which in some descriptions it is, The name Raisbeck Mill comes up, which is not surprising as it was once part of Raisbeck Hall (the next property down stream,"the stream called Raisbeck") untill the Mill was sold in 1705 when the deeds start.

I would love to know more about the Mill, please message me if you have any photo's or story's, or indeed questions for me..

Thanks,
    Adam Wallace

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

This is what the mill looked like when my family moved in. The photo is dated 1966, so it was in this state for more than 20 years.

The Map from 1770.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

The Mill House was built by your family in 1784, with initials J. & E.R. The Rawes modernized the Mill, replacing the two pre-industrial wooden wheels , to a much larger iron wheel in the 18th century, all dismantled by 1913. My mum mentioned two spinsters named Bowman, who lived in the Mill House and employed a Miller. If you believe in that sort of think, our hippie friend thought she saw a lady ghost when she was staying in the house in the 60's, maybe a relative of yours?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Simpson View Post
    the stone J & E R John Bowman & Elizabeth Rawes ? The time could be slightly out.. my dates on their births were a guess as I tried to find their proper birhdates.
    The Mill House was built by your family in 1784, with initials J. & E.R. The Rawes modernized the Mill, replacing the two pre-industrial wooden wheels , to a much larger iron wheel in the 18th century, all dismantled by 1913. My mum mentioned two spinsters named Bowman, who lived in the Mill House and employed a Miller. If you believe in that sort of thing, our hippie friend thought she saw a lady ghost when she was staying in the house in the 60's, maybe a relative of yours?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Some of my ancestry, I'm trying to work out
    Gerard Rawes 1719
    son John Rawes 1739
    daughter Elizabeth Rawes 1772 married John Bowman 1772
    son Thomas Bowman 1792
    son John Bowman 1814-1880
    son William Bowman 1858.... my great grandfather
    son Thomas Edgar Bowman 1895
    daughter Lilian Sarah Bowman (Simpson) 1920-2011 my mum
    then me 1950
    I thought this might be helpful from 1851, list Bowman John, blacksmith, and others in the extended family still working at the mill.

https://www.edenlinks.co.uk/EASTWARD/...CTORY.HTM#rais

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

The name Fawcett has nthing to do with any surname. I hope I have heped in somr way
    Colin Simpson
    Maybe the name of the Mill is a surname after all, or a surname was taken from it, the Hearth Tax of Westmorland 1674 mentions many Fawcett's in the area including a Robert and Joshua or Joseph FAWCETT in "Kellett" (Killath in Raisbeck), its a shame the list only mentions some place names and no occupations.

https://www.edenlinks.co.uk/RECORDS/HT/TSOW.HTM#raisbeck

Rob FAWCETT

Jo FAWCETT

Deaths - On the 7th inst, at Fawcett Mill, New Orton, Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Mr John Rawes. She was a young lady of the most amiable disposition and engaging manners, and died regretted by her relatives and friends.
    (Western Gazette, 26 Nov 1825)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The mill was advertised for sale or to let in October 1840 and described -
    "All that Freehold and Tithe free Estate,called Fawcett Mill, in the Parish of Orton and County of Westmorland, consisting of two dwelling Houses with Barns, Stables, Cow-houses and other Out-buildings.
    Also an excellent CORN MILL containing three Pairs of Stones, Flour dressing Machine, Pearl Barley Mill, large drying Kiln &c. The supply of Water is most plentiful, and never fails in Summer nor freezes in Winter. Also an excellent MALT HOUSE with every convenience for carrying on the Malting business.
    Also about forty Acres of good LAND, with privilege of cutting Peat in Frire Moss. Fawcett Mill is well situated for carrying on a large Trade, being in a central Situation between the Towns of Appleby, Kendal, Penrith, Kirkby Stephen, Sedbergh and Kirkby Lonsdale."

The same advert was repeated in the papers 18 months later.

One question - is the peat cutting right still being exercised!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast