johnadey

Default Adey/Paul of Northampton US

I am researching the Adey family from Painswick, Gloucestershire, England.

The Bristol Mercury 14th May 1853 has the following notice-

Died - At Northampton (US) Anne Relict of Rev N Paul of Albany and 2nd daughter of late Mr John Adey of Rock Mills Painswick - aged 62

Is anyone with local knowledge or access to US records able to tell me more about Rev N Paul and Anne Paul during their time in the States?

Regards & thanks
    John

Brick wall demolition expert!

I can place her on the 1850 US census at Northampton, Hampshire, Massachusetts:

Cheney Sook, 63, farmer, b. Mass
    Rebecca Sook, 51, b. ditto
    Melvin Sook, 26, b. ditto
    Ann Paul, 55, b. England

Relationships and marital status were not shown on the 1850 census. This is also the first US census where persons were listed individually.

I'll see what else I can find.

Adele

JustJean

I would guess this speech on slavery might be given by the same Rev. N. Paul from Albany that you refer to:

https://www.blackpast.org/?q=1827-rev...avery-new-york

What do you think?

Best wishes
    Jean

JustJean

Wow....I hope I'm not creating something here but there is quite a bit on Rev. Paul. A hit on Google Books reveals some facts about him...

Born abt 1775...died 1839.
    Pastor at the Hamilton Street Baptist Church in Albany NY.
    Born in New Hampshire
    Pastor in Albany since 1820
    Left Albany abt 1831 for the slave colony at Wilberforce in Canada West.
    They sent him to England to gather funds
    After 4 years he returned to Albany where he died.

There is also this marriage from the IGI....

1. NATHANIEL PAUL - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Marriage: 23 JUN 1833 Saint Nicholas Olave, London, London, England
    Marriages:
    Spouse: ANNE ADEY Family
    Marriage: 23 JUN 1833 Saint Nicholas Olave, London, London, England

Any chance they met while he was in England and this is their marriage?????

If not it makes a great story doesn't it????!!!!

Best wishes
    Jean

JustJean

The 1840 US Census shows an Ann Paul enumerated as head of household and is the only member of the household...inAlbany...

Name: Anne Paul
    Township: Albany Ward 1
    County: Albany
    State: New York

Best wishes
    Jean

JustJean

I'm feeling more strongly than ever that this is indeed your Anne married to Nathaniel Paul. There are further Google Book readings that indicate Mrs. Paul married the Rev. while he was in England. One article does not mention her name other than "Mrs." but infers the difficulties she faced as a "stranger in a strange land" once she was widowed. In the letters of William Lloyd Garrison he apparently attempted to look after her well-being by finding folks willing to board her. A footnote states that her name was not known other than she was English and feeling the strong prejudice meted out to those who crossed the racial marriage line. This is excellent reading...how I wish I had such an ancestor of my own to report on!!!

Best wishes
    Jean

JustJean

Hope this link works: https://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+li...t.-a0192404032

this is a whole piece on the life and times of another anti slavery activist named Samuel Davis. If you can access the website read down through his life history and note that his grandmother was a sister to the mother of Nathaniel Paul and also others strong in anti-slavery movement.

Best wishes
    Jean

johnadey

Default Anne Adey/Nathaniel Paul

Thank you everyone, this is great reading.

Anne was a cousin of Rev Edward Adey who worked with Wilberforce & Clarkson in the antislavery movement in England. There is a Wikipedia page about Rev Edward Adey and of course my own family history site.

Thanks again
    John

johnadey

Has anybody stumbled across any children for this couple?

Thanks
    John