Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default NSW church burial records lookup please

Sorry I can't be any more specific at the moment.

I am looking for James Brindley who died in NSW 1847 (he arrived in Sydney Feb/Mar 1846).

NSW BD&M says it is an old church record and couldn't tell me where from.

If no one can find him for me, I'll have to try and get to Sydney and go to the State Records Office reading room.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Procat

Hi Wayne,

The NSW Deaths CD records this information for him:

Name: James Brindley
    Index Year: 1847
    Denomination: Church of England
    Parish: St Lawrence's, Sydney
    Volume Reference: V1847412 32B
    Registration Number: 0

So, I think we can assume he was buried in Sydney.

You may find this link of some interest.

thanks procat,

So nothing remains of the cemetery and I need to try and see if his remains were relocated to another cemetery.

Wayne

Procat

I think it may pay to try and get hold of a copy of the index of reinternments.

Again, from the web site:

An index of reinterments has recently been published: K A Johnson and M R Sainty, Sydney Burial Ground 1819-1901 (Elizabeth and Devonshire Streets) and History of Sydney’s Early Cemeteries from 1788 (Library of Australian History, 2001).

The Society of Australian Genealogists appears to have a copy in their library.

Thanks Doug

One of my cousins after I told them this info searched the internet about the Sydney Burial Ground and has told me that apparently not all the bodies were relocated eg. those with no headstones and or no relatives the headstones were crushed and their remains left.

So he may be under Sydney's Central Railway Station

If he is still buried there what a place for the remains of an old Royal NSW Veteran (who was based in Tasmania) to end up.

I so hope he was moved.

Wayne

spison

Dear Wayne,
    The original Wallsend Cemetery in Newcastle also suffered this ignominity. Some of the oldest headstones were moved to Sandgate but the rest were crushed. The bodies were left where they lay. At least this cemetery is now a park - appropriately called "Rest Park." Good luck with finding any church references. Keep us up to date.
    Jane

spison

Further to that you may already be aware but just in case you're not: the V references that Procat has given should be able to be read anywhere there is a copy of the State Archives kit. They take a bit of negotiating but you may be lucky.
    Jane

I just spoke with SAG and she wasn't able to find James Brindley in the book, found other Brindleys but not James. She confirmed that there are still graves under Central Station.

Funny you mention the old Wallsend Cemetery as my great grandmother Mary Jane Charlotte Perkins (ne: Barrett) wife of George Kendrick Perkins (they were both born in Tasmania) is in an unmarked grave in the old roman catholic section somewhere, she died in Wallsend Hospital in 1922.

Do you know more about the cemetery? eg. when? was it just the headstones moved etc.?

Wayne

it now looks like I'd need to find undertaker's records if any exist.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast