Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Procat

Hi Wayne,

I suspect you are correct about the information regarding burials. The earliest certificate I have is 1853 in Victoria and it was certainly silent about the place of burial.

This is probably a long shot but if your cousin is in Sydney they could try checking with the NSW State Library to see if they have newspapers of the time. If they do and you can nail down the date it could be worth a look.

I understand your views about the final resting place. I have a couple of mine that I am unable to trace a burial for.

marianne Faull

Hi, I will get you the details tomorrow, but usually the information in the burial register is:Name, Abode, When died, When Buried, Age, Quality or Profession, By whom the ceremony was performed., and of course the parish of burial.
    Marienne

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thankyou.

I don't expect the church records would have much as his wife and family were still in Tasmania and he only arrived in Sydney the year before.

Kind Regards,

Wayne

Marianne,

I went to Maitland Library yesterday (before seeing your post) to search for myself but the library is closed for 2 weeks while they replace the roof. Marianne thankyou again for your you kind offer and it is greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Marianne, thanks for the info in the other thread.

I just looked at the book on the Sydney Burial Ground (Devonshire & Elizabeth Streets) page 39 and it says there were 4,080 unknown graves in the Church of England section when they exhumed the remains. Not sure if I'm reading it correctly but my interpretation is that they were moved to the Botany New Cemetery as there is a list of the denominations, coffins, known and unknown and below them it says total to Botany New Cemetery and the totals in that row equals all those listed above.

Kind Regards,

Wayne

I also forgot to add (which I just worked out what it meant) that it appears when they relocated the remains that for the Church of England Section they averaged 10 remains per coffin. Which I take as each coffin buried at Botany contains 10 unknown people's remains).

So if my great great great grandfather was relocted he is now buried at the New Botany Cemetery in a coffin with about 10 other people

Default Where were people buried in Sydney 1847? (besides Devonshire Street)

Ok Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park apparently have copies of the burial records for Devonshire Street Cemetery (Sydney Burial Ground) and they say that James Brindley isn't listed as being buried there.

I have no idea where to look now.

Did they bury veteran soldiers somewhere else? What other cemeteries were operating in Sydney in 1847?

I've tried contacting the Christ Church, parish of St Laurence's but doubt they will be helpful as they say all their records are in the State Library in Mitchell Street.

Any ideas welcome.

Wayne

spison

Wayne,
    The launch of the Old Wallsend Cemetery Book is to be on the 28th June. If you contributed a name then I'd hope you were sent info of this. If not I'll find the details.
    Jane

Jane,

No didn't know about it.

Wayne

Default Jane

The launch of the book you mentioned is tomorrow and I still have no details.

Did you find any?

Kind Regards,

Wayne

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast