Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hugh Thompson

Hi Wayne, is this the church you're after.
    Hugh.

https://www.sydneyarchitecture.com/cbd/cbd7-015.htm

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hugh,

Thanks, yes that is it .

Now to try and find the undertaker's or cemetery records (if any exist) for the Sydney Burial Ground (Devonshire Street) interments while it was operating. Doubt I'll find them though.

Wayne

spison

The Newcastle Family History Society has just completed a book on the cemetery. I haven't had a very good look at it as yet but I will do so when I am next there. I am pushed for time this week. I live very close to the old cemetery site so I can photograph it for you. Newcastle City council has old photographs of the cemetery on a searchable database but no headstones are able to be read as they are site photos. This should get you there. You're after the Hunter photobank.

https://collections.ncc.nsw.gov.au/ke.../nrm/index.htm

Jane

Thanks Jane,

I've been to what is now the old r/c part of the old Wallsend Cemetery as I live near Paterson. My Great Grandmother should be in the book as I provided her name etc. but she doesn't have a headstone. Her husband is buried at Rookwood.

Thanks for the link and I'll check it out

Kind Regards,

Wayne

Hugh Thompson

Wayne, have you been to this site? I don't know if you are after any of these Brindley's, not the one in question I'm afraid but maybe some help farther down the road, photos of the headstones as well.
    Hugh.

https://cemindex.arkangles.com/inscriptions.php

Hugh thanks,

I hadn't seen that but as far as I'm aware at the moment James is the only Brindley surname in his family that came here. I haven't been able to go back any further than his marriage.

Kind Regards,

Wayne

For those who suggested the book

Sydney Burial Ground 1819-1901 & History Of Sydneys Early Cemeteries From 1788

I just read this about the book in relation to the Devonshire Street Cemetery.

"It is estimated that more than 30,000 persons were buried in this cemetery.This publication records over 10,000 identified remains which were transferred in 1901"

so I take that as there are about 20,000 unidentified remains that were buried there.

I say my best hope would be to try and confirm that James Brindley was one of the 20,000 unidentified ones (that may or may not have been moved).

Wayne

Procat

I think I would get the certificate Wayne. I haven't seen one that early for NSW but there may be some clues on it.

it double posted so removed this one

Procat,

Thanks for you help. greatly appreciated.

A cousin is arranging to see the microfilm of the church record but I may also go and look at it myself.

NSW BD&M say because it was in 1847 their info is from the church records, I hope the church records say what cemetery but I think it would be the undertakers records that would have the cemetery and not the church records.

My own siblings

a stillborn sister 7 Jan 1950
    a brother 6 hours 20 Oct 1950
    a brother 12 hours 31st Dec 1952 died 1 Jan 1853
    a brother 21hrs 6 Jan 1954 died 7 Jan 1954
    (yes exactly 4 years to the day of the 1st of my siblings)

as far as I'm aware the church records didn't say the cemetery but I may be wrong (infact they didn't even have a record of my stillborn sister because as a stillborn they didn't even acknowledge her and bury her). I already knew the cemetery so this wasn't an issue. It was undertakers records that told me but they didn't have plot numbers because even in those days they didn't record them.

It was searching for the graves of my parents first 4 children (my siblings) that started my family history research and why I am so passionate about trying to find graves.

Sorry if this comes across wrong or not worded properly (I appreciate your help and it just upsets me that my great great great grandfathers grave may be under Central Station in Sydney or in an unkown grave after having served the british colony the way he did. To me this is not a just resting place for him).

Kind Regards,

Wayne

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast