Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hossie family

Tamara L.

Default Hossie family

I have been researching my family tree for some time now. My great great grandfather along with his wife and their children ( And his brother) emigrated to Canada in 1833. There were from the Denny/Dennyloanhead region of Stirlingshire near Falkirk. They were weavers. The family name has changed in its spelling going back generations and even in the one who emigrated. Other spellings have included Hose, Hosie and Mclehose. The one first name that continues as a thread is Andrew.
    Andrew Hossie and his wife, Janet Wilson were married in 1818. Both were born in the 1790's.
    Any information would be an asset to my research.
    Tamara

JAP1

Hello Tamara,

I'm interested to see this thread!

I have been doing what amounts to virtually a one-name study of the name and its variants for quite a few years now. Currently I have over 90 spelling variants ... My own direct line goes back to MCLAUSE people from Kippen, Stirlingshire.

Unfortunately I can't access my genealogical program at present.

However, I do have pages of hard-copy printouts of IGI extracted entries where the name (however spelled) appears.

A quick glance through them shows (at least) the following variants in Denny - going back to the 1600s.

HOSE (most common), HOSIE, HOSSIE, MACILEHOSE, MACKELHOSE, MACKELLHOS, MAKLEHOSE, MCALHOSE, MCALLHOSE, MCILEHOSE, MCILLEHOSE, MCKILHOSE, MCKLHOSE, MCLHOSE, MEIKLEHOSE.

Do you have Andrew as the son of James 'HOSE' and Jean STARK?

May I ask the given name, and wife's name, for the brother who also migrated?

Best regards,

JAP

Tamara L.

Hello ~
    I am glad someone has finally responded to this thread!
    Yes, Andrew is the son of James Hose and Jean Stark. Those are the names written on the baptism record. I obtained a copy or "extract" from the old Parochial Register. James Hose however is listed as James McLehose on the proclamation of banns and marriages to Jean Stark (November 1787). Whn he was born his father's name is listed on the baptism record as Andrew Hose ~ with his brother George Hose acting as one of the witnesses. So the name flipped back and forth. James Hose's mother was Agnes Scot. Going back from Andrew and Agnes you have another Andrew Mclehose c.1726 and then back to his parents Andrew Mclehose c.1694 and Margaret Robson(or Robinson) c.1698. They were married the 6th of December 1717. That is as far back as I have been able to take my line of the Hossie family. The second "s" was added by my relations that emigrated to Canada after a dispute on the ship. I understand there might have been three that emigrated ~ but one went on to the west of the USA (no doubt after the dispute). Andrew and Janet and their 6 children remained in Canada. They had 2 more children there. The brother that also stayed in Canada was James Hossie b. 1794 in Denny. His wife's name was Jane but I do not know her maiden name. I do have quite a bit of data on the children of Andrew and Janet [Wilson] Hossie though.
    Do you have information that goes back further than Andrew Mclehose and Margaret Robson? Even if you don't keep in touch. Are any of these lines from Canada related to yours?
    Tamara L.

Tamara L.

Hello ~
    Sorry about the spelling error above to MARGARET ROBISON. Brit-gen wouldn't allow me to edit it as 10 minutes had lapsed. Guess I should wear my glasses more often! I noticed it when I looked closer at my data.
    Tamara L.

JAP1

Hi Tamara,

Great to hear from you!
    It's so rare to get any response, or to see any posts anywhere, on this name!

And great that you recognize the chopping and changing back and forth from a 'Mc' version to a non-'Mc' version. Not everyone is comfortable with this undoubted fact.

The Ayrshire HOSEs (started with a James MEIKLEHOSE in 1785) seem to have difficulty with this. The GOONS one-name HOSE chap had them coming from aristocratic English HOSEs in the middle ages which was easily disproved - but probably more attractive to descendants!

When I first started out on this "one-name study" (not a formally registered study) I had a foolish idea that I might be able to link them all up! That was a very foolish - and very costly - idea!

When/if I finally get access again to my genie program, I will check things out.

I have every person listed in my program under any variant they have formally appeared as (e.g. in parish registers, statutory registers, censuses, etc) and also under a generic 'MCLS' entry which finds them all.

Unfortunately, as I recall, I've never found any connexion between my own Kippen lot (though the registers don't go back all that far - and mine started out as McleHOSE with cle as a superscript before changing to McLAUSE and eventually to McLAWS) and anyone in Denny - or in Canada.

There are many early people of the name in Glasgow but that's probably an artefact arising because Glasgow records do go pretty far back. I do think that most/all people of the name originated in Stirlingshire but I can't prove this.

I've always meant to get a "roundtuit" and put all my 'MCLS' research up on the Web. I really should do so!

It is great to hear from you and I will certainly try to stay in touch.

JAP

Tamara L.

Wow ... nice to get a response the same day!
    I have found the name variation interesting but hard work ... as siblings even spelled their names differently. Actually I don't think "they" were spelling it but rather the person recording it in church records. Most of my Hossie ancestors were weavers and therefore not well-to-do. When they left Denny/ Scotland for Canada in 1833 they took their loom and spinning wheel with them. Unfortunately they couldn't make a living in Canada as weavers and applied for and got a land grant and turned to farming. They farmed in that one area of Canada for more than 100 years. I even saw the spinning wheel at one of the 2 Hossie reunions I went to as a child. They topped having them for some unknown reason ... most likely as the older generations died off. My grandfather and his father were born in the same area of Ontario, but the two previous generations were from Scotland.
    When I went to Denny a couple of summers ago I looked for gravestones but couldn't find any. When I visited their local library to ask about a family history section they were extremely helpful. They told me about many of the gravestones being moved as the town changed ... several being lost. They also booked for me an appointment to visit and view some of the archives for that area in Callendar House in Falkirk. Although I didn't find out anything new on that visit it was a nice experience to know i was walking where my ancestors came from! Early family papers said Denny and Dennyloanhead for the Hossies but they always talked about Andrew and Janet Wilson Hossie as being married in the High Church in Campsie, Stirlingshire. My uncle whi was a minister was able to view records when they were still housed at that church in the late 1950's /early 1960's. I am dubious about them being married there although there are Wilsons and Hosies in that area. Campsie is now known as Lennoxtown and is just north east of Glasgow. So your theory of Glasgow might have something to do with Campsie as well. When my mother and cousin came for a visit in 2005 we went to Scotland and stayed in a B&B in Lennoxtown. Despite the high church now being in ruins because of a fire I found the old gravestones in the churchyard (last visited in 1976). When we told the owner of the B&B the name we were looking for he mentioned the Hosie farm in that area. My mother convinced me to stop there. I am not sure they are of the same line but they were very hospitable ~ they did say they had relations in Canada though! They may have been related to James Hose ~ Andrew's brother who emigrated as well in 1833.
    Along with the Hossie line I have been researching my mother's maternal side as well ... along with some of the lines that feed into both. It is time consuming but very fascinating.
    Bye for now.
    Tamara
    Last edited by Tamara L.; 11-07-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling error.

JAP1

Hi again Tamara,

Yes, I recall that I have "MCLS" people from Campsie/Lennoxtown in my database - and that the earliest burial in that graveyard (not all that early) was a "MCLS". I believe they were connected with the Kippen lot.

One of the Campsie "MCLS" people became a Mormon/Latter Day Saint (known by some of his UK family as "convert John"!) - he was the son, I recall, of a John MCLAWS (a medico) and a Sarah WHITWORTH; he has a long line of McLAWS descendants in Arizona and Utah (apart from there also being many descendants of his parents in the UK).

My Kippen McLAUSE lot seem not to have been attached to the "established" (Presbyterian) Church of Scotland but to one of the breakaway groups.
    See:
    https://website.lineone.net/~davghalg...chhistory.html
    My lot attended the Associate Session (Presbyterian) church in Buchlyvie - unfortunately the most relevant register (to me) of that church is missing.

All the very best,

JAP
    PS: The Glasgow lot - plenty of maltsters - may well have originally come from St Ninians ...
    Well, back to watching the Cricket Test in the wee small hours ...

Tamara L.

Hello ~
    you must be pleased at how well the Aussie Cricket team are doing. It doesn't look good for England at his years Ashes.

I don't know what church they attended in Scotland but in Canada they had visiting Presbyterian ministers doing local services for the "pioneers". My Hossie clan gave up some of their land for a church to be built at the end of the concession (road) where their farms were. The church was called "Burns Church" ... and was associated with the United Church of Canada. It is probably one of the reasons my uncle became a minister. Unfortunately the church ( and for that matter the farms) are no longer there. A huge section of that land along the lakes was purchased by Allied Chemicals. How sad. I believe they even moved the Native Reserve that was close to the farms as well.
    I have my doubts as to whether I will be able to go further back than Andrew Mclehose in 1694 Denny though. I had recently found an Agnes Mclehose born in Denny in 1695. Her father is listed as Malcolm Mclhose. Unfortunately it is not an "extracted" piece on the LDS, and I can't find any other Malcolm in that lineage.
    Tamara

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara L. View Post
    Hello ~
    I am glad someone has finally responded to this thread!
    Yes, Andrew is the son of James Hose and Jean Stark. Those are the names written on the baptism record. I obtained a copy or "extract" from the old Parochial Register. James Hose however is listed as James McLehose on the proclamation of banns and marriages to Jean Stark (November 1787). Whn he was born his father's name is listed on the baptism record as Andrew Hose ~ with his brother George Hose acting as one of the witnesses. So the name flipped back and forth. James Hose's mother was Agnes Scot. Going back from Andrew and Agnes you have another Andrew Mclehose c.1726 and then back to his parents Andrew Mclehose c.1694 and Margaret Robson(or Robinson) c.1698. They were married the 6th of December 1717. That is as far back as I have been able to take my line of the Hossie family. The second "s" was added by my relations that emigrated to Canada after a dispute on the ship. I understand there might have been three that emigrated ~ but one went on to the west of the USA (no doubt after the dispute). Andrew and Janet and their 6 children remained in Canada. They had 2 more children there. The brother that also stayed in Canada was James Hossie b. 1794 in Denny. His wife's name was Jane but I do not know her maiden name. I do have quite a bit of data on the children of Andrew and Janet [Wilson] Hossie though.
    Do you have information that goes back further than Andrew Mclehose and Margaret Robson? Even if you don't keep in touch. Are any of these lines from Canada related to yours?
    Tamara L.

Hi Tamara, my name is Master Cassidy, I am related to you, through Ancestry, which i have also paid for certain things to move faster, i am also related to the majoribanks of scotland, and the marchbanks, whom both are from the line of King Robert the Bruce of Scotland.

Margaret Hose was married to James Young. She was born in July 1757 in Glasgow. Her father was George Hosie, 1728-1775, his mother was MARGARET ROBINSON, 1698 - unknown, her husband was ANDREW MCLEHOSE! 1694 - unknown, Andrews father was John Mccilhoyse, his mrs was Euphan Gillespie.

MARGARET ROBINSON'S mother was Margaret Allen (1670), and her husband was John Robinson(1668).

Margaret Hose had a mother called Jean Russel (1735) , her father was Thomas Russell, his wife was Jean Alves (1690-1743), Thomas's mother Jean Kellie 1656-1733

If you would like to view my tree. it is on ancestry. please feel free.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello MasterCassidy,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

The original poster of this thread, Tamara, hasn't visited the forum since 2014, but if she is still using the same email address as she was back then then she should receive notification of your post.

I have to sincerely apologise because I stuffed up the link to your family tree.
    Our T&Cs do not allow direct links to commercial sites so I was trying to 'split' the URL and clicked on the wrong bit. It would be far easier for you to just give the name under which you've filed your tree (e.g. FredBloggs456). Alternatively, if you do give the URL you will need to split it. So the first line will give the first part of the URL up to where it begins 'ancestry', e.g. https://www.
    and then all the rest from ancestry. onwards has to go on a second line. So it will look something like
    https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/familytree

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast