Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Janny49

Default Census lookup please - Charles Webb

I would like to request a census lookup please.

Charles Webb, b. 1841(?) in ? Gloucester(?) England
    Census years 1881, 1871, 1861, 1851

Any information would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time and efforts.

Janny49

Joanna Bastyan

Very interesting if this is your fella:

1861 census:
    Charles WEBB, Crime Prisoner, Rag And Bone Gatherer born 1841 Wotton Under Edge Gloucestershire

Institution:The County Prison

A lodger in Itchington Field, Tytherington

Charles Webb, Lodger Genl Lab b 1843 Ashchurch Gloucestershire (Living with Bullock family)

There are other Charles Webb's in Gloucstershire. This one being born 1841. On each census he is listed as married but no mention of a wife.

Janny49

Default Census lookup please - Charles Webb

Hi Joanna,

I don't think this is the right one - I hope not!

I found a Charles Webb (from familysearch.org) listed as the father to the Thomas Charles Webb I was looking for (I think).

IGI Record shows: Thomas Webb, christening 5 Nov. 1867 Christ Church, Cheltenham, Gloucester. Father: Charles Mother: Sarah
    No further information from the batch numbers.

Now, I'm not sure if this is Thomas's father - the one I'm looking for.

Could you please check your census years 1871 & 1881 on Thomas to find out who his father is?

Thomas Charles Webb, born 1866 in Cheltenham, Gloucester
    1888 - married Theresa Jane Francis in Kensington
    1891 - lived at 73 Cardross St., Hammersmith
    Children: Marion, Harry, Dorothy, Elsie, Sidney, Lenard

I better make sure I get the correct father's name before I go searching any further!

Thanks very much. Til we meet again, take care, Janny

v.wells

Marriage

Thomas Charles Webb 1888 Kensington, Gtr London, Middlesex, vol 1a p 164 4Q
    Theresa Jane Francis on same page

In order to find out the fathers of both you need to order the certificate. And the father's name would be either full name or what he was known by.

Birth: Thomas Webb 1867 Cheltenham vol 6a p 374 4Q

Birth certs sometimes didn't have the full name recorded - the second name added later and sometimes it is recorded but not indexed as such.

Cary Christopher

Default Webb/Francis marriage 1888

Howdy,

Here is the marriage information for the man you're looking for:

Place of marriage: All Saints Church, Notting Hill, Kensington, Middlesex

No. 498
    Date of marriage: December 16, 1888

Groom: Thomas Charles Webb, 24, bachelor, profession: Baker, residence: 1 Elgin Mews, father: Henry Webb, profession: Baker

Bride: Theresa Jane Francis, 21, spinster, residence: 1 Elgin Mews, father: Thomas Francis, profession: horsekeeper

Witnesses: Phillip (or Phyllis) Greenward, F. Sims, Harriett Louisa Francis

==========

I'm off for dinner and will post the census info I've found for a couple Henry Webbs, occupation: baker, from the 1881 census. There is a 53 year old widower in Flaxley, Gloucestershire, who looks promising since one of his daughters (Sarah age 14) appears to have been born in Cheltenham although the census taker couldn't spell it correctly.

Cary

Cary Christopher

Smile Webb Family in census returns

Hi again,

I found the 1891 census entry in Hammersmith, Saint Paul Hammersmith, you were referring to at 73 Cardross Street:

Thomas C. Webb, 26, Horse Keeper, born Glouster.
    Theresa J. Webb, wife, 23, born Hammersmith
    Marion G. Webb, dau, 1, born Mddsx Southwark
    (at same address is his father in law)
    Thomas Francis, 51, horse keeper, born Wantage, Berks.
    Mary A. Francis, wife, 50, born ditto
    Harriet L., dau, 19, occ: none, born London, Hammersmith
    Charles T., son, 16, horse keeper, born ditto
    William G., son, 14, page boy (dom. serv.) born ditto
    Henry E., son, 11, scholar, born London, Fulham
    Percy J., son, 9, scholar, born London, Hammersmith

=======

There seem to be only two Henry Webbs in the 1881 census that were employed as bakers and only one of those has any connection with Gloucestershire:

1881 Gloucestershire, Flaxley, Dist. 33, page 42, Ecclesiastical District St. Stephen, address No. 19 Belle Vue Road:

Henry Webb, 53, widower, baker, born Uley, Glos (East Dean)
    Sarah, dau, 14, dom. serv., born Chillititum (sic)
    Eva, dau, 11, scholar, born Cinderford
    Eliz., dau, 8, scholar, born ditto
    Catharine, dau, 4, born ditto
    Jane, dau, 2, born ditto

=======

In the 1881 census, there were 5 or 6 Thomas Webbs of the approx. age from Gloucestershire but none of them was yet employed as a baker. Hmmm...I forgot to check to see if there was ANY Thomas Webb employed as a baker's assistant regardless of birthplace.

Here's Thomas, though, with his family in the 1871 census:

1871 Gloucestershire, Flaxley, District 33A, No. 28 Abbey Street:

Henry Webb, 41, baker, born Gloucestershire, Uley
    Martha, wife, 32, born Glou. Nymphsfield (sic) (actually spelled Nympsfield)
    George S., son, 13, collier, born Glou., East Dean
    Henry, son, 11, born ditto
    William, son, 9, born ditto
    Thomas, son, 6, scholar, born Glou., Gloucester*
    Sarah, dau, 4, scholar, born Glou. Cheltenham
    Eva, dau, 1, born Glou. Cinderford

=======

1861 Gloucestershire, East Dean, Dist. 18, page 19, St. John Ecclestiastical District:

Henry Webb, 31, baker, born Glouster., Uley
    Martha, 22, born Nympsfield
    George S., son, 3, born Cinderford
    Hy (Henry), son, 1, born ditto

=======

1851 Gloucestershire, Village of Uley (2 miles from Nympsfield), Crawley Street:
    Reuben Webb, 54, Ag Lab, born Gloster, Uley
    Jane, wife, 54, born ditto
    Henry, son, 21, Ag Lab, born ditto
    George, son, 16, Ag Lab, born ditto
    Reuben, son, 14, Ag Lab, born ditto
    Elizabeth, dau, 11, scholar, born ditto

========

1841 Gloucestershire, Parish of Uley:

Reuben Webb, 44, Ag Lab, born in county
    Jane, 38, ditto
    Henry, 10, ditto
    George, 6, ditto
    Reuben, 5, ditto
    Elizabeth, 1, ditto

I hope all this information is new to you and help you to trace your Webb ancestry.

Kind regards,

Cary

Janny49

Default Thomas Charles Webb - Thank You Cary!

Hello Cary,

Thank you very much for this information. This is the right one! Finally after all this time, you are the first one that has replied to my inquiry that got the right information on my great-grandfather.

I was just about to give up and was about to print out the little bit of information on my family history and sent it out to my relatives. Now I can add this. I really appreciate your time and effort!

When you get a chance, could you post the census info you found for a couple of Henry Webb's and any other info on this family.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Janet

janbooth

Default Reuben WEBB

And to add a little more information to what Cary has already found for you:

From Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index 1800-37:

6 May 1819 at Uley Reuben WEBB married Jane SMITH by Banns

Janet

Cary Christopher

Talking

Thank you, Janet, for the marriage of Reuben Webb. I really enjoy the combined efforts of so many helpful & knowledgeable people in the B-G forums.

First, just for the sake of accuracy, I'll give you the 1881 census info for the only other Henry Webb I could find who was a baker. I'm pretty convinced there is no immediate connection with your family since none of the family members have any links to Gloucestershire:

1881 London, Bethnal Green, Saint Thomas Ecclesiastical District, address 27 Queen St:

Henry Webb, 40, baker, born Middlesex, Pentonville
    Susan, wife, 36, born Bethnal Green
    Alice, dau, 18, fancy bow maker, born Shoreditch
    Martha, dau, 14, bonnet shape maker, born Bethnal Green
    Aurelia, dau, 12, scholar, born ditto
    Henry, son, 10, scholar, born ditto
    Joseph, son, 8, scholar, born ditto
    William, son, 6, scholar, born ditto
    Beatrice, dau, 3, born ditto
    Elizabeth, dau, 1, born ditto
    At same address:
    William F. Smith, 33, waiter, born Middlesex, Bethnal Green
    Sarah A., wife, 31, born Middlesex, Bow

=======

Here's the correct Henry Webb, father of Thomas, in the 1891 census:

1891 Gloucestershire, Cheltenham, North Ward, St. Paul's Ecclesiastical District, address 6 Hungerford St. Centre:

Henry Webb, (listed as married but no wife shown), peel manufacturer (census taker's mark states: conf (confectionary?), born Gloucestershire, Uley

Eva, daughter, 21, dressmaker, born Cinderford (Eva married the visitor to their home, William Healey in 1892 at Cheltenham, 4th quarter, vol. 6a, page 898. Note: Can't seem to find either of them in the 1901 census; no matching death records, either...perhaps they emigrated?)

Bessie, daughter, 17, mantle maker (census mark states: dress), born Cinderford

Jane, daughter, 12, scholar, born Cinderford

William Healey, visitor, 22, collector, born Gloucester

(I looked for Catherine Webb under several first name variations, age approx. 14, but only found a pauper in the District Union Workhouse in Cheltenham and showing age 16)
    =======

1901 Gloucestershire, Cheltenham, North Ward, St. Paul's Ecclesiastical District, address 160 Swindon Road (St. Paul's Cross):

George H. Dodwell, head, married, 27, timber merchant, employer, born Glos., Cheltenham

Kate, wife, 24, born Glos., Cinderford (George Henry Dodwell and Kate Webb's marriage was recorded in Westbury on Severn, Glou., in 1900, 3rd quarter, volume 6a, page 614)

Henry Webb, father in law, 74, carpenter, born Glos., Uley

Lilly Beet, visitor, 5, born London

=======

1901 Gloucestershire, Cheltenham, Middle Ward, St. Philip & James of Leckhampton Ecc. Dist., address 3 Brandon Place N:

John Jenkins, head, married, 70, gardener (not domestic) worker, born Leckhampton (wife not listed) (living with...)

Wilfred Perkins, head, 23, painter (house) worker, born Leckhampton
    Jane Perkins, wife, 22, born Glos., Cinderford (Wilfred Ralph Perkins married Jane Webb in Worcester reg. district in 1898, 3rd quarter, vol. 6c, page 455)

=======

There is an Elizabeth A. Webb, age 27 born in Cinderford, Glos., a domestic servant in the home of Tom & Amelia Smith living in Bradford, Yorkshire. And an Elizabeth Ann Webb married Thomas Endymion Pettigrew in 1901 at Burnley reg. dist., Yorkshire, West Riding, about 30 miles away from Bradford.

For Sarah Webb, the oldest daughter, it looks like she married William Pearson in Cheltenham in 1888, 3rd quarter, vol. 6a, page 701. And they appear to be living in Gloucester, Barton borough or ward, All Saints Ecc. Dist., address 21 Victoria Street:

William Pearson, 36, butcher's salesman, born York. Barnsley
    Sarah, wife, 32, born Glos. Cheltenham
    Emma, dau, 12, born ditto
    Nellie, dau, 10, born Gloucester
    Gilbert, son, 1, born ditto
    John Matthews, boarder, 25, single, lab. at Malch works, born Glos., Cirencester

OK, I need a break for a while. There are three older sons that I mentioned in the 1871 census that can be tracked down: George S. (born about 1858 in Cinderford), Henry (born about 1860 in Cinderford) and William (born about 1861/2 in East Dean/Cinderford).

Henry Webb senior's death record looks like it occurred in 1914 in Cheltenham, based on the age shown, but also could have been 1906 in Cheltenham.

Must stop self now...once a person gets started, it's just hard to stop.

Cary

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Marriage

Thomas Charles Webb 1888 Kensington, Gtr London, Middlesex, vol 1a p 164 4Q
    Theresa Jane Francis on same page

In order to find out the fathers of both you need to order the certificate. And the father's name would be either full name or what he was known by.

Birth: Thomas Webb 1867 Cheltenham vol 6a p 374 4Q

Birth certs sometimes didn't have the full name recorded - the second name added later and sometimes it is recorded but not indexed as such.
    If this is the right one then it would be a good idea to get the cert. I'll have a look for Banns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast