Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Brook family of Worcestershire

I have two women by the name of Mary Brook (I'm guessing they were members of the same family) who married two of my Tickle ancestors.

Thomas Tickle married Mary Brook on 3 August 1727 at St Peters, Droitwich.

Their son, George, married Mary Brook on 20 August 1764 at Hampton Lovett and the bride was described as being of that parish.

I have a baptism for the earlier Mary Brook but, as I have only the word of a distant cousin (and the LDS index entry), I am not 100% certain of that. She, if it is her, was baptised on 20 March 1716, St Peters, Droitwich the daughter of John Brook.

I am hoping that there are other people out there studying either this family or others with the same surname so I can start narrowing it down.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Tribal Pages features this Family (& Tickle) of Worcestershire in the Harrod & Hayes Families. At least one other also.

Perhaps you are aware of this.
    Last edited by Waitabit; 08-06-2009 at 4:21 AM. Reason: additonal info.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Tribal Pages features this Family (& Tickle) of Worcestershire in the Harrod & Hayes Families. At least one other also.

Perhaps you are aware of this.
    Someone on a message board told me about it just yesterday, but thanks for the information anyway.

I've found some additional clues.

Philip Pomfrey was listed as a witness on the later Brook - Tickle marriage and now I've found a photograph of a headstone from St Augustine, Dodderhill: a Philip Pomfrey is listed there with his wife Mary (daughter of John Penrice), as well as John Brook and his wife Mary. John Brook is about the right age to be the brother of the elder Mary Brook, though that is just speculation at the moment.

Now, I just have to find out just how Philip Pomfrey is connected to the Brook family.

I've traced my Brook family back to 1650.

If there's anyone out there you knows anything of the Brook family of Droitwich who pursued occupations in the fabric industry (weavers and clothiers) and also as wheelwrights, please let me know.

An update at last.

The will of Robert Brooke, my ancestor, dating to 1687, mentions his grandfather, also named Robert, who purchased land at Shepcote, Bromsgrove. I have the transcriptions of the Bromsgrove parish registers of the time, and I believe I have identified the correct family, which explains why I didn't find his ancestors at Droitwich.

Hi Tanya
    thank you for adding an update to this thread. Your persistence has surely paid off and I envy you having a family who were wealthy enough to feel the need to make wills.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks.