Pol Dubh

Default the Lords Ranfurly

I've been trying to find out if their property is/was in Tyrone.

My great grandfather seems to have been a worker on his land but I can find no record of him. I have notes that my ancestor was "educated" and worked there.

His name was John Dougan, claimed to be of Huguenot stock. Definitely a protestant - my father had some of his Orange order regalia. He emigrated to NZ in 1878 or there abouts. I've found the year he died (1932) aged 75 that puts his dob 1856-8)

Records seem to be very sketchy. I'm new to this stuff but am getting rather hooked. I understand many records were destroyed during the "troubles". Can someone point me in the right direction where to start looking?

I'd appreciate it. People on this site have been very helpful already.

have fun,

Pol

Knowledgeable and helpful

As a starting point, the Public Records Office in Ireland has this information about Ranfurly Papers.

https://www.proni.gov.uk/introduction...932__d4183.pdf

Might be useful to put Tyrone in the search box on the pdf.
    Browneyes

Pol Dubh

Thanks, I'll keep digging but Ireland is hard work compared with England.

Hall/Swan

Well...if you have Orange Order details you should have the lodge number..LOL 123? then find out where this lodge was.

The Orange Order probably have a website!! If you found this out then you cut down on what part he lived.

Pol Dubh

I have found some info on my family. John's wife was named Isabella Kincaid and came from Tyrone too. Her parents were married in Pomeroy, likely 24/4/1846. (IGI info) Their names were William Kincaid and Amelia Somerville. John's parents were Kennedy Dougan and Elizabeth Thompson. Mostly from Dungannon.

Any ideas about going further back?

Hall/Swan, thanks for the suggestion but it drew a blank.